Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese Amp  (Read 19147 times)
BG1FPX

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2013, 04:46:01 AM »

I happened to see this website:

www.amp.co.nf

It writes:

Since 2010 with advanced technologies and selected materials, we began to manufacture HF-serie power amplifiers for global radio amateurs. Now we provide two models: manual HF2000DX and automatic HF2011DX-A. We received favorable comments from our customers after their two-year's trial. The main specifications are:

Frequency: 1.8-29MHz
SSB output power: 2000W
CW output power: 1500W
Driving power: 5-70W
NT4I

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:01:16 AM »

From the pictures, it looks like it's built well.
Maybe it will be a better low cost alternative to Ameritron??
I don't think it could be any worse?
I sent them an email, maybe they will respond with additional information?

Could be a winner if it's priced right and works well.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »

Growing up in the days of Zenith, it is unfortunate so see that American made electronics have such sad quality control these days.  I routinely take apart Chinese made products and the care and detail are impressive.

This Chinese product will probably be better than Ameritron on many fronts.  With good pricing and distribution, maybe they might even give MFJ the wake up call they need.  I would love to try out one of these.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:45:21 AM by W9KDX » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »

Is it a Chinese amplifier?  They look identical to OM Power Amplifiers. Maybe they are importing them into China from Slovakia???

http://www.om-power.com/about-us
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:38 AM »

The price on the Automatic is exellent (approx $3500.00 USD) when compared to a similar featured US brand.  Very interesting reading!

Rich, AJ3G
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »

Yea it is but $468.00 in shipping is a bit hard on the wallet. Plus we loosing enough work in this country with out adding yet more offshore products in my opinion.
NT4I

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:41:06 AM »

Just as a follow up, I would want more information before I "wired" my money to China based on this thread and a couple emails.
All we have been presented with, is an internet posing, a one page 'advertisement" and a lure of a low cost, legal limit amplifier.
With that being said, I am NOT saying or implying that they are not legit, but I would feel  more comfortable with a US based distributor that accepted credit cards so there is a least a chance of recourse in the event of a problem.
Heck, we don't even know what tube it uses......or who these folks are. If you have a problem or get "stung", what are going to do? Call the Chinese authorities for resolution?

Just my 2 cents worth...
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:48:42 AM »

While I agree $468.00 does seem like a bit much, you are still coming in substantially less than the alternative with similar specifications and features.

After review of these amplifiers, they in fact look almost identical to OM Power OM2500A, which is being sold for $9750.00 by the USA distributor.
Looking at the Alpha 9500 it is listed at $7950.00, which is the closest amplifier made in the USA with the same features as the OM2500A.  

In this case I would be voting with my wallet, as the cost savings is huge. It would probably be another story if these could be had at a 20-30% markup within the USA, but we are talking well over 100% markup in this case.

Rich, AJ3G
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 08:50:25 AM »

That is a good point as well, but those look to be OM Power Amplfiers to me. Can anyone shed any futher light on this topic?
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »

Before you place your order for one of these amp, unless they make a special model for the US, these amps are 230 volts at 50 cycles, not 60 cycles.
Barry
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »

Before you place your order for one of these amp, unless they make a special model for the US, these amps are 230 volts at 50 cycles, not 60 cycles.
Barry

I've never encountered a power transformer that could handle 50Hz that couldn't also handle 60Hz.  Matter of fact, the spec is usually termed as, "50/60Hz". 

Does anybody know anything about US Type Acceptance for this product? 

That may be the problem, don't know.

KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »

As I look at both the OM Power webpage and the inside snap shots of these amplifier's, I am struck by the resemblance. While I do see what appears to be a different marking on the top of the tube utilized, the blower assembly and power supply look identical. Even the components utilized on the CCA on top of the power transformers look to be exactly alike.

While I cannot speak to type certification, I do know the US Distributor has obtained type certification on the OM Power amplifiers they sell here in the USA. While I am not suggesting this means these variants from china  are type certified, it could suggest getting this amplifier type certified is possible, but it would take some time to complete.

Rich, AJ3G
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »

From my reading of the post by BG1FPX I wonder did OM Power get there amps manufactured in China, and now the Manufacture is selling them direct and not via OM Power.

Bit like the way Alpha used to use Acom to make there amps back in the day.

I have heard that copyright and patents mean nothing in China.

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »

Barry

I've never encountered a power transformer that could handle 50Hz that couldn't also handle 60Hz.  Matter of fact, the spec is usually termed as, "50/60Hz". 

Does anybody know anything about US Type Acceptance for this product? 

That may be the problem, don't know.

Most (if not ALL) dedicated 50 Hz power transformers will operate just perfectly and a bit cooler on 60 Hz.  The opposite is not always the case.

Dick  AD4U
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »

I just received an email from BG7JAA, and they only accept a bank wire transfer at this time. In my response to him, I asked him to send me an operator's manual for the amplifier.

At the end of the day, a bank transfer is NOT going to work for me. If he would accept a major credit card, I would seriously consider buying one. Maybe on or next email exchange, I will bring this to his attention.

AJ3G
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: