Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese Amp  (Read 19065 times)
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »

Array Solutions is the USA distributor for OM Power, and the prices are closer to Alpha prices.
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/OM_Power/OM_Power.htm
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »

Hi Jim:

I just checked the price for the OM Amplifiers distributed by Array Solutions. The OM Power Automatic is much more expensive than the Alpha 9500, unless I did not read the site correctly. Lookk at my previous post, there is a pretty large gap in price between the two amplifiers.

AJ3G
NT4I

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »

I also emailed them and this is the response:

Dear Vince,

Thank you for your email.

1/ more information -- sorry, we want to write a detailed instruction, but we don't write it now, because we are very busy.

2/ cost -- manual model 16000 RMBY, automatic model 23000 RMBY, shipping fee 3000 RMBY

1 USD = 6.2 RMBY

3/ order -- If you decide to order, we will tell you our banking account.

Best regards,

Zhang Hong (BG1FPX / KJ6DCI)
Guan Zeyong (BG7JAA)

Call me a sceptic, but the original email announcement came from China, the amp looks identical to OM Power, no manual, only accept wired bank transfer, a one page web site, substantially less cost than OM Power, this offer is to good to be true!  

Something isn't right!  A fool and his money is soon parted!
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »

I do believe these amplifiers exist, as when you do a Google search on the model number there are a few YouTube videos showing the HF2011DX-A in action.   With regard to the manual this is the response I received:

" We are writing an instruction manual.
Once we finish it, we will upload it into our website.
Please wait for several days.
Thank you very much."

I then responded with the following:

"Do you think it would be possible for you to accept a major credit card such as VISA, Mastercard, or American Express in the near future?  The reason I ask is, there is a great number of USA Amateur Radio Operators who are interested in this amplifier. Most USA buyers are going require the use of major credit cards in order to buy this amplifier, as this provides protection should something happen to the Amplifier while in shipment to the USA."

As I search the internet, I also note the same message from the same call sign was posted on QRZ.com!

Rich, AJ3G

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 07:55:27 PM »

I watched one of the Youtube videos.  I understand Chinese and basically he was demonstrating the protection circuity of the amp.  He said the amp. will produce a fault at 250w reflected power in 0.2 seconds.  Not very informative but I thought I'd share this with you.

Jonathan W6GX
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 06:46:26 AM »

What am I missing here? Original topic poster BGIFPX Said"happened to see this website"(www.amp.co.nf).In a response e-mail to NT4I one of the signers is also BGIFPX.I'm just wondering why BGIFPX just happen to notice that he has is own website!!.Also it's not to difficult to put a different name/logo decal on a similar looking piece of gear and post it on YouTube.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:25:57 AM by W1JKA » Logged
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:41 AM »

I am not an expert on buildings in other parts of the world, however the building on the Web site sure looks a lot like 350 S. Grand Ave. Los Angeles Ca.   I could be wrong, however being in construction of these / THAT building in and around LA for  26. years.... Huh
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 07:08:13 AM »

That is a very interesting correlation. I had not caught on to this until I read the email sent to NT4I.

I wonder how long it will take someone from OM Power to provide clarity on this issue???

Rich, AJ3G
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 07:52:02 AM »

I think the OP also holds a K6 license. Wonder if that has something to do with it?
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »

Shucks, I'll have to check it out at home. The work firewall blocks access to that domain based on its phishing-scam history... maybe the identical post over at the 'other' forum will have some pictures up.
 Roll Eyes

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »

This afternoon I called the owner of the USA Distributor of OM Power, Array Solutions.  My question to Array Solutions was what is their knowledge or position on this amplifier being offered by a manufacture in China.  Their response was basically they were aware of the amplifier, and have recently written OM Power to seek clarification. Array Solutions did mention the amplifier in questions was likely not FCC Type certified, which I think is no surprise.

Basically I think this establishes the fact these amplifiers are in fact copies of OM Power, which I pretty much knew after reviewing the internal workings. The question I would have is; did OM Power release the design to this company, or is this a complete reverse engineering effort?  Based on my research in the last 24 hours, it appears this amplifier is real, and is being manufactured in quantity, in China.

If the design was in fact released by OM Power then I think it would be wise of them to say so now "the cat is out of the bag". The reason I say this is, if I were an individual who bought one of these amplifiers from the USA Authorized distributor, I would be infuriated to learn I could have an almost identical amplifier at a fraction of the cost! The same thing goes if the design was copied without authorization, OM Power needs to chime in here and provide clarity into this issue.

Rich, AJ3G
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »

Consider that the amp may be a knockoff of someone else's hard work and intellectual property. 

Consider that, apparently, you have to give up your bank account info to order one. 

Consider that someone here says they recognize the building, and it ain't in China. 

Consider that if a deal seems too good to be true, it is because something's wrong somewhere.

Tread carefully. 

Did you ever get back to that guy from Nigeria who is holding your winning lottery money? 

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

If the design was in fact released by OM Power then I think it would be wise of them to say so now "the cat is out of the bag". The reason I say this is, if I were an individual who bought one of these amplifiers from the USA Authorized distributor, I would be infuriated to learn I could have an almost identical amplifier at a fraction of the cost! The same thing goes if the design was copied without authorization, OM Power needs to chime in here and provide clarity into this issue.

Watching people get worked up over the price or features on a Chinese amp, that is not even being offered for sale, is somewhat amusing. Compare to the "Dedicated RF" thread.

Reminds me of a tale from my youth in a small town, with two butchers' shops. One was advertising pork chops for 29 cents a pound. My mom goes in to that one, and asks, and they're all out of pork chops. So she goes to the other shop and asks them to lower their price from 39 cents to 29 cents a pound to match the competition. The butcher tells my mom "Lady, if I didn't have any pork chops, I'd be selling them for 29 cents a pound too."
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »

NE3Q:

I am not getting all worked up, and why should I, I have no skin in the game other than the time it took to research the issue out of self interest.

I do however, feel bad for people who spent their hard earned money on a brand name, that could be had for a substantial discount! 
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »

NE3Q:

I am not getting all worked up, and why should I, I have no skin in the game other than the time it took to research the issue out of self interest.

I do however, feel bad for people who spent their hard earned money on a brand name, that could be had for a substantial discount! 

I'd feel more sorry, for the guy who wired his money overseas, to an outfit that is so busy they don't even have a manual for the vaporware, that they found on a website registered to a rare island, and got nothing.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: