Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese Amp  (Read 20142 times)
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 05:03:34 AM »

Well I received email from Guan (BG7JAA) yesterday.  Here is what was said:

" Dear Rich,

We received a threatening email from OM Power's American distributor, he said, if we sell this product in American market, we would have a legal trouble. So we decide to apply for FCC certification first. Thank you for    your interest to this product.

Guan, BG7JAA"

Personally I kind of think this is an idle threat, as I do not see how OM Power (A Slovakian Company) would have any legal standing in a United States Court. Since OM Power is Slovakian and the manufacture making the replicas is Chinese, I just hard time believing anything would really come of it, should legal action be attempted in the United States.

I guess the good news out of this is, Guan is proceeding with Type Certification. This would certainly be a step in the right direction, and provide a potential buyer or interested party more confidence in the product.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:07:05 AM by KO4NX » Logged
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 07:14:47 AM »

Boy, this thread is really getting off topic.
A lot of opinions that have no bearing on the topic.......

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree the replies are drifting and getting long winded.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »

Rather than telling others what they can and cannot post in a thread, why not simply take the tack of "DO NOT READ" that which bothers you so much? 

Roll right past to the next post in the thread and be happy. 

AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »

I guess the good news out of this is, Guan is proceeding with Type Certification. This would certainly be a step in the right direction, and provide a potential buyer or interested party more confidence in the product.

Rich

A step in the right direction, would be to remove the modified OM Power's logo from the front panel, and to design a front panel and amplifier that is unique and original.

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »

It will be a pleasure to see more competition on the market to move out the typical junk makers and give us more options at reasonable cost but maintain a quality product that actually works when you receive it. I see many companies that are starting to corner the market.

I have already emailed them and asked who will be the US rep's and when...

Nice work....
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »

Rich

A step in the right direction, would be to remove the modified OM Power's logo from the front panel, and to design a front panel and amplifier that is unique and original.

The LOGO was tad over the top, and to be honest I thought what I was looking at was a true OM Power amplifier until I noticed the difference in the model number.

The Chinese OM Power Copy is similar to what another manufacture did when making the PUMA line amplifiers. The PUMA PL-6K I have here at the station, remind me of a Henry but was made in the Far East, somewhere. The one I own was modified to run on 40M only and I have been gathering the parts to restore it to a multiband amplifier. Despite the fact it was an obvious attempt to mimic a Henry amplifier; it is incredibly well built, and has provided many years of fairly reliable service in a very demanding contest environment.

While I am not sure where in the Far East this amplifier came from, I did find one website of an individual who restored the PL-3K version of this amplifier (http://www.bear-el.com/pl3k/), not sure what this page is trying to say exactly, but from the pictures you can see it looks pretty close to a Henry! I guess this makes me a little less skeptic than other about amplifiers coming in from China!

Rich
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »

I think that there could be a market for an American designed but Chinese built amplifier.  Amplifiers are getting hideously expensive and I don't see a problem of the Chinese building amplifiers as long as it's not a stolen design.  Taiwan already has a big market of contract manufacturers and it could be another option.  Have you ever opened up a LDG tuner and compare it against a naked MFJ tuner?  It's like night and day.

Jonathan W6GX
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

If you cant afford a  very good amplifier build it yourself. If you cant afford a decent amplifier you can build one that will outperform and outlast any ham commercial amplifier.

The Chinese tube industry is in the same position as the Russian tube makers. The market is small and there is not much demand. So who knows what the availability of these Chinese tubes will be  in the future.

At least if you use a tube thats widely used in industry like the 8877, you have a good chance of finding  and buying one. Who in the west uses FU728's? Answer nobody.
The moment these Chinese Amps hit the USA market the price of the tubes will skyrocket. The Chinese are also price gouging on what they charge for their amps. Is it coincidence that
Chinese amps are  priced virtually identical to the OMPOWER pricing. They making a absolute killing. Last time I looked the Emtron Amplifiers from Australia were selling for a cheaper price than these Chinese Amps.

The days of tubes amplifiers are fast coming to the end. 2kW solid state amps will be the norm in the next 2 years. Why would you tool up for something thats going to be obsolete?
Besides the bottom line with anything Chinese is that it is Cheap Junk, despite  what other say about the quality improving  sometime in the future.
If you look at the lathe market the same  thing has happened. Chinese lathes flooding the market. Despite years of manufacture the chinese lathes are nowhere as good as the lathes that were manufactured
in Europe and the USA. There is always some problems with the Chinese lathe quality and design, they poor quality with lots of bigs. Thats junk in my book.

I would rather send my money to Slovakia and support a company that made a sincere effort to design and build decent amplifiers for the ham market.
 Why would anyone want to support these Chinese knock off crooks is beyond belief. Its amusing to read that so many Americans are so pro anything thats cheap. I wonder how many of them
actually realize how   the Chinese are really destroying their economic might by destroying the manufacturing base in the USA. Very soon the USA will have no manufacturing industry and everyone in the USA
will be consumers of Chinese manufactured goods. I wonder who is going to be the Sheriff of the world  when you can afford to be one because your  manufacturing base is gone offshore? So much for patriotism.

I think that there could be a market for an American designed but Chinese built amplifier.  Amplifiers are getting hideously expensive and I don't see a problem of the Chinese building amplifiers as long as it's not a stolen design.  Taiwan already has a big market of contract manufacturers and it could be another option.  Have you ever opened up a LDG tuner and compare it against a naked MFJ tuner?  It's like night and day.

Jonathan W6GX
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »

Is it coincidence that
Chinese amps are  priced virtually identical to the OMPOWER pricing. They making a absolute killing. Last time I looked the Emtron Amplifiers from Australia were selling for a cheaper price than these Chinese Amps.

Where are you getting your pricing from?  The advertised price for these amplifiers is far less than OM Power, and Alpha.  At the current exchange rate it appears as though the subject amplifier is $3700.00 USD for the Automatic, and $2580.00 for the manual version. I have not looked at EMTRON pricing, thus I cannot comment if EMTRON is in fact less expensive or on par with the above mentioned prices.

Rich
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »

After conducting some more searches on the internet, it appears as though there is some more information and videos of this amplfier. 

1. http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/chinese-hf-amplifier-2011dx-a/

2. http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/chinese-hf-linear-amplifier-revisited-by-nt2x-exclusive-for-cqdx-ru/

The second link appears to be some sort of review by an american ham NT2X.

Rich, AJ3G
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2013, 03:57:10 AM »

Re:K04NX
               I checked out the 2nd link in your post and noticed the first amp as a HF2000DX but further down the technician is working on a HF2010DX ??.
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2013, 04:21:50 AM »

HI W1JKA:

In the article N2TX, who apparently was the author, claims he knew and called one of the technicians, or something to that effect. I was more interested in the pictures to be honest, as the text really did not say much other than the amplfier seemed to last an entire contest.

I did find a ton of pictures in addtion to the two links provided which can be found here:

http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/?gallery=rf-linear-amplifiers-from-china-in-pics

In this link it appears as though they show more of the building process. I find it interesting they seem to be using a wide variety of components from all over the world, including China.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:25:37 AM by KO4NX » Logged
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »

Wow, it looks very impressive and meticulous attention to detail.  May give Ameritron the run for the money and may even better Tokyo Hy-Power.  All said, no thanks.  I bought American Made and will keep my Elecraft KPA500 (I know that some or all of the components may be made in china).

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »

Actually, it appears as though they have decided to change the LOGO, and now have incorporated a TFT display!  Take another look at the website, you will see a marked difference in the front panel from a week ago!

Rich
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »

You have to credit them on a nice quality build even though it is a clone. MFJ would not manufacture something this nice.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: