Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese Amp  (Read 19587 times)
NK2F

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »

You have to credit them on a nice quality build even though it is a clone. MFJ would not manufacture something this nice.

While the original Chinese amp, two years ago, was indeed a clone, not much is known about the improvements that have resulted in the current design.  According to one of the designers, they have sold over 200 amps and have identified several design flaws (in OM Power, that is) that have been corrected since then. This amp is not an example of blindly copying an existing product.

In general, having a healthy competition in the ham amp space is good for us hams as it pushes innovation and drives prices down. To that end, you may also want to take a look at Alpin, a Bulgarian company, that makes a well priced GU74-based HF and HF+6m amps:

http://www.alpinamplifier.com/

The amp has been reviewed by the German and UK ham publications, receiving very high marks.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:27:17 AM by NK2F » Logged
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »

You have to credit them on a nice quality build even though it is a clone. MFJ would not manufacture something this nice.

This is true, even if they did, I would not want to pay what they would ask for it!

Rich
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:44:27 PM by KO4NX » Logged
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »

In general, having a healthy competition in the ham amp space is good for us hams as it pushes innovation and drives prices down. To that end, you may also want to take a look at Alpin, a Bulgarian company, that makes a well priced GU74-based HF and HF+6m amps:

http://www.alpinamplifier.com/

The amp has been reviewed by the German and UK ham publications, receiving very high marks.

I would love to see some competition in amps over on this side of the pond.  The gap between Ameritron and anything else is just to wide.  Some quality mid-priced alternatives might wake the quality control people at MFJ up a bit.  I no longer care where products are made; if MFJ stands for what "Made in America" means these days.....

Sam
W9KDX
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »

Many more hams coming along in China, so their domestic market will grow a bunch.  The craftsmanship on this amp looks really good, would cost quite a bit here in the US.  Due to distance and questions of support, however, not sure how much market in US.  Would take one of the US major distributors to make it go here.

I don't own any MFJ amps, never have, but I think they do a good job of building to a specific price target.  That's why their amps are popular, and good value.
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »

Many more hams coming along in China, so their domestic market will grow a bunch.  The craftsmanship on this amp looks really good, would cost quite a bit here in the US.  Due to distance and questions of support, however, not sure how much market in US.  Would take one of the US major distributors to make it go here.

I don't own any MFJ amps, never have, but I think they do a good job of building to a specific price target.  That's why their amps are popular, and good value.

I think the reason MFJ/Ameritron was brought up here is the fact the amplifier in question provides way more features, and by all appearances better workmanship for just a little more than you would pay for the top of the line Ameritron.

When they finish the TFT version with the new LOGO that does not look like OM Power, I think I am going to take a gamble on one of these. It's become more of a matter of curiosity than anything!

NK2F

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

Many more hams coming along in China, so their domestic market will grow a bunch.  The craftsmanship on this amp looks really good, would cost quite a bit here in the US.

The Chinese amp sells for $2,000 for the manual and $3,000 for the automatic, plus shipping. Note that these prices are for the previous model, the OM Power clone, and not for the prototype shown on the site. The RF deck and power supply, however, are identical. This is a steal!
BG1FPX

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2013, 10:42:01 PM »

From March, Guan (BG7JAA) uses a new interface to avoid possible patent/copyright dispute.

http://amp.co.nf/8.jpg
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »

What are the design flaws with the OM Power amplifiers?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: