Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solid-state options for 1500w with K3  (Read 2844 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »

Hi, all,

I'm interested in going QRO after I hit my personal goal of making DXCC with 100 watts and a vertical. Rig here is an Elecraft K3 with P3 panadapter.

Would like to know if anyone else is running a 1500 watt solid state amp and ATU with a similar rig.

Thanks and 73,
- Steve (WX2S.)

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:34:35 PM »

Hi Steve,

Your options are very limited.  See the attached.  I have the THP HL-2.5kfx.  I posted a review of the HL-2.5kfx on eham recently.  The ATU is the MFJ-998.  Which rig. you have should not matter unless you are looking for band-change interface between the amp. and the rig.  GL.

THP HL-2.5kfx
THP HL-2500fx (spring 2013)
SPE Expert 2k-fa
Dishtronix - Prometheus

Jonathan W6GX
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:53:37 AM »

Dishtronix - Prometheus

Full legal limit plus some...
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »

Quote from: N4ATS
Dishtronix - Prometheus

Eleven thousand bucks, stripped.  Shocked

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

I second the Tokyo-HYPower 2.5KFX.  That's one hell of an Amp, they don't call it the 2.5KFX for nothing Wink
All Tokyo HY-Power builds some of the best Amps, they pay attention to every detail and they have protection circuitry that catches just about any fault before damage occurs.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »

If you operate CW a lot I would  consider the THP 2.5KFX. The owner of   THP will always answer your email queries  and is very helpful. 

The SPE amps still have issues with CW timing and  failing  without warning. Several members in my contest club have had issues with these amps failing on CW.
These failing are not on the early model SPE amps with known issues, but the current model amps.

If CW is not an issue with you and you mostly operate SSB, choose the amplifier with the best IMD performance. The SPE amplifiers do have very good IMD performance on SSB.
The ones that I have tested  with my radios have clean signals, without the normal ALC induced splatter that you find on so many ham 1kw solid amps. The SPE amps seem
to handle transient power spikes very well.

I second the Tokyo-HYPower 2.5KFX.  That's one hell of an Amp, they don't call it the 2.5KFX for nothing Wink
All Tokyo HY-Power builds some of the best Amps, they pay attention to every detail and they have protection circuitry that catches just about any fault before damage occurs.
NN4X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »

Quote from: N4ATS
Dishtronix - Prometheus

Eleven thousand bucks, stripped.  Shocked

- WX2S

You get what you pay for.  The HEAT SINK weighs 35 pounds!  Think of the Prometheus as a modern-day Alpha 77DX.  It would be the last amp you'll ever need to purchase.

Steve
NN4X

K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »

Eleven thousand bucks is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure the costs would go up considerably from the impending divorce that would occur after I purchased such a beast  Grin

John K7KB
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

Eleven thousand bucks is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure the costs would go up considerably from the impending divorce that would occur after I purchased such a beast  Grin

John K7KB

You could just leave the 35lb heat sink behind for your XYL.  It will lighten up the amp. considerably when you do move out of the house Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
K9AQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 08:03:15 AM »

If you lower your goal to 1KW, you will find that you have a lot more cost-effective options and it would be very hard for someone on the other end to tell the difference between 1KW and 1.5KW. 1KW, or 1.2KW amplifiers, are available from Tokyo Hy Power, ICOM, Yaesu, Ameritron, and others, for way less money.

Don
K9AQ

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 09:08:18 PM »

If your main interest in SS amps. is due to their auto-tune capability there are several auto-tune tubed amps. that will easily do legal limit.

Jonathan W6GX
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »

If your main interest in SS amps. is due to their auto-tune capability there are several auto-tune tubed amps. that will easily do legal limit.

Jonathan W6GX
Yep, that was it. Plus reliability. Recos appreciated.

-Steve EX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: