Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small touchscreen monitors  (Read 2496 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »

How many of you are using small touchscreen monitors for some of your SDR apps? In my case, I'm using the Mimo 7" 720 model with Win 7 x64 Ultimate to host woodbox radio's FXPad software. I'm just not getting the touchscreen drivers to work after lotsa reading, etc.

I'm about to punt on the Mimo 720 model but am unsure what works better under this OS. What are you using?

Frank
K4FMH
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:12:20 PM »

My SDR software is running on a laptop. I wouldn't like a smaller screen. I prefer to see the signal in great detail.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »

KA4POL,

I would agree with your concept....but I'm talking about the small TOUCHSCREEN monitor to work mainly with 3rd party apps...especially FXPad by Woodbox Radio. Take a look at it.

No question about the monitor real estate necessary for the panadapter!

Frank
K4FMH
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »

I use the Lilliput USB touchscreen for FXpad and while it was flakey under Windows 7, it now works great under Windows 8.  The touch controls itself were what were flaky, sometimes directing touch  output to another screen. On Windows 8 it's solid.  Can't say if it was really Windows 7 or if perhaps my install on 7 was corrupt.

I also use the Hercules DJ panel as knobs on my Flex 5K.  Only bummer with that is since its a third party driver, sometimes updates lack PowerSDR updates by a good bit.  Otherwise that is nice as well.

One other fun thing I was playing with this weekend and will continue working on this week is using the KX3 as a second SDR Receiver,  and syncing it with the flex through Dual instances of HRD.  This allows me to use the KX3 as a rather robust set of controls for both radios.

The next step is to throw the KX3 in the RX in/out loop so it's protected when I transmit with the flex.  Xmit with the flex makes it easier for me to transmit with the full power of my amp when I need it. 

I am using Studio 1 with the KX3 as a Panadaptor.  It also allows me to spawn multiple slices receivers off the bandwidth available in the IQ output off the KX3.  I have run into some little bug with it though that I am working out.  For some reason the offset in Studio is off.  It's weird because in NAP3 there is a -5K offset.  In Studio 1 it's showing as a +35K and the offset adjustment doesn't seem to be working all of the sudden.

This is pure work experimentation to see what it might be like to hand a QS1R off the back of my flex in the RX in/out loop and use multiple slices in Studio 1.   If the testing works then I will look for a QSR1 to add into the mix.  Should be fun! 

It's too bad that the Flex version of PowerSDR doesn't allow one to collapse all the controls and leave you with just a Panadaptor display.  If it would I would probably relegate the flex to a mini screen and just use the QS1R as the controlling SDR with Studio 1.

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »

NI0Z,

Thanks for the info on Lilliput. I've seen your website. Terrific station setup! I haven't gone to Win 8 yet...I run Linux, Mac OS-X, and Win 7/XP on my various PCs. Win 7 on the one that manages my amateur station; XP on the netbook I use for portable ops.

Woodbox actually sells the model that I am using as HAMPad, as you know from their website. When I got a steal on one, I jumped at it with some confidence....but that's the way it goes. I could always use the Mimo as a 2nd monitor for portable ops with my small netbook.

Frank
K4FMH
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

There was a solid reason I we t with the Lilliput when I made that purchase over the one the HamPad uses.  I believe it was in the both the specs and the reviews on them.  Sorry I can't recall exactly what it was, however, I remember it being very evident as to which to choose.

Best of luck!

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »

My touchscreen is a sort of middle ground, I suppose, a 15" ELO point of sale type commercial touch monitor. It's solid as a brick, uses DB9 serial port, big enough to see the panadaptor and buttons, but doesn't take up much desk real estate. It works well with PowerSDR, HDSDR, Shortwave Log, Icom PCR control software and HRD. I'd like to try that FXPad with it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: