Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Enforcement  (Read 12796 times)
KS3J

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:33:13 AM »

Couldn't find a better place to put this than under licensing ... sorry if OT.

Has anybody heard from the FCC's enforcement division lately? The page that normally lists amateur enforcement actions on the FCC web site:

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html

has not been updated since July, 2012, so either they've stopped doing any enforcement or they've stopped telling us.

I ask only because of all the trash I hear on the air these days ... good hams are out there, but so are an increasing number of real LIDs who disregard the regs...

Scott KS3J
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »

It has been updated; take a look at some of the most recent entries under "Warning Letters."  Granted, only a handful of letters have been added since July, 2012.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »

Scott -

Note that the page is not strictly chronological--you have to look at both sections.

Although the "RFI Matters" section hasn't seen activity since July, the "Warning Letters" section (scroll about halfway down the page) has some entries from 4Q2012.

Steve
W3HF
KS3J

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:54:27 AM »

Thank you! I hadn't noticed that there was a second section. It's nice to see that some of the recent letters address the continual anarchy on 14.313 as well as unlicensed operators.

Scott KS3J
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »

Thank you! I hadn't noticed that there was a second section. It's nice to see that some of the recent letters address the continual anarchy on 14.313 as well as unlicensed operators.

YES!

It is particularly interesting to note the "located by direction finding equipment" verbiage.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »

Couldn't find a better place to put this than under licensing ... sorry if OT.

Has anybody heard from the FCC's enforcement division lately? The page that normally lists amateur enforcement actions on the FCC web site:

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html

has not been updated since July, 2012, so either they've stopped doing any enforcement or they've stopped telling us.

I ask only because of all the trash I hear on the air these days ... good hams are out there, but so are an increasing number of real LIDs who disregard the regs...

Scott KS3J

I would be willing to bet a lot of those hams who break the rules are not new hams either.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »

I would be willing to bet a lot of those hams who break the rules are not new hams either.

Why?

The FCC page has been updated since July 2012. The warning letters involving amateur radio since July 2012 fall into the following categories:

Commercial operation using 2 meters for business (no hams involved) - 1
Using repeater after being repeatedly told not to by repeater owner - 2
Failure to ID, intentional QRM, inappropriate operation (all on 14.313) - 3
Intentional interference - 1
Unlicensed persons on the ham bands (no band or mode specified) - 7
CB spillover into ham bands - 1

73 de Jim, N2EY
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:24:55 AM »

And, if I may ask, why bring that up?  No matter when someone was licensed, a rule breaker is a rule breaker.  Please.... let's not start the new ham/old ham argument again!
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »

Scott KS3J

There is a crowd in the evenings on 80 meters, running 3.840, its like listening to a CB. Every evening, people swearing, playing music, doubling with each other, fighting etc. Its foul and filthy. Its embarrasing too, I know other countries can hear the horrible example the US is setting and makes all pleasant operators look bad elsewhere. I think they are in Nevada. Anyone else hear these guys?

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 02:08:06 AM »

What about 7.255 on the West Coast? That seems to be the "bad guys freq" for 40m. I once heard some dude get chewed out because he was trying to use the freq for a net (his original freq was occupied). "Why would you locate here when you know all the (bleep) that goes on here?" The speaker of that phrase was a OO, no less! I haven't tuned into 14.313, but I usually don't hear anything there, that must be East Coast. The FCC's San Francisco office covers a pretty big area, so maybe they're not aware of 7.255 or other Left Coast bad freqs.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »

There is a crowd in the evenings on 80 meters, running 3.840, its like listening to a CB. Every evening, people swearing, playing music, doubling with each other, fighting etc. Its foul and filthy. Its embarrasing too,

Yes, but some of that may not be illegal under current rules. FCC can only enforce specific violations; the rest is up to us. And somebody has to complain. "Obscene" language is prohibited but "profane" and "vulgar" language isn't. The definitions are even more murky.

The clear-cut violations that FCC will probably go after are:

- Failure to ID properly
- Intentional interference (the way they prove it is intentional is if the station being interfered with moves and the interference follows)
- Operation beyond license privileges (Tech on 75 or 20 meters, General in the Extra subband, super power (if it can be proven).
- Use of repeater after owners have specifically told individual not to use it.
- Operation outside band

Record the stuff and complain.

73 de Jim, N2EY

btw, 3.840 is 75 meters. 80 meters is 3.5 to 3.6 MHz. Part 97 says so!

W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »

I am aware of 75/80. In the middle of that band, we could technically call it the 77.5 meter band??? I refer to the overall band as 80 meters. Its what my Icom calls it also. Lets stay focused.  Wink

The language is the "F" word etc, a blatant violation and of course, they never ID, they play recordings, noise makers etc.

Is there an area on the FCC website to complain or does it have to be written. From the sounds of it, locals are trying to hone in on their locations.

N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »

Been a ham for 50 years.  Heard the same complaints for 50 years.

Neil N3DF
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »

You mean the foul language or the 75/80 meter corrections?  Grin

I was floored to have heard the language. just spinning throught he band looking for QSO's and tuned in on this to be horrified. I dont have virgin ears, I guess I was just shocked to have heard it on the "ham band" is all.

W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »

You mean the foul language or the 75/80 meter corrections?  Grin

I was floored to have heard the language. just spinning throught he band looking for QSO's and tuned in on this to be horrified. I dont have virgin ears, I guess I was just shocked to have heard it on the "ham band" is all.

This is one of the reasons I don't waste the time and effort to get up an antenna for 80M.

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: