Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI from battery desulfator  (Read 3912 times)
AB1PJ

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »

I just installed a battery desulfator : http://wizbangplus.com/Technical_Specifications.html
I chose this because it is made in USA.

This connects to the + and - pole of the battery

Now i see RF pulses in ALL bands.
If i take off the desulfator, no more RFI

Any suggestions on how to suppress that RFI?
Are there are other products in the market that doesn't have such RFI?

thanks
jim
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »

Look for a FCC Part 15 Class B rating.  Or, a CE mark.  Beyond that, buyer beware.  Actually, that device is not legal for sale here if it doesn't meet the FCC spec IF it has internal frequency generation beyond a certain power and fundamental freq.  Class B is a tighter spec, and is designed for home use. 
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »

Desulfators "work" by pulsing current into a battery.  These pulses will be rich in harmonic content so it's no surprise you're experiencing RFI.  If you take measures to soften the pulses you're changing the characteristic of the pulse that purportedly has the remedying effect.

Frankly I think desulfators are BS and their use is unnecessary.  If you take proper care of your battery, you should never need such a device.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:24:18 AM »

I have to agree with Mark.  Those desulfators are a gimmick at best and highway robbery at the worst.  Once a battery starts sulfating, you may get some more useful life out of it, but basically its on its death bed.

Those battery desulfators don't (they can't) get rid of the sulfation that has already occurred, no matter how much they're used.  All they do is to 'blast' some of the deposits off the plates to appear to give the battery some more useful life--but those deposits have to go somewhere.  They do--to the bottom of the individual cells, eventually shorting the plates out and making the battery useless. 

Better you return that and put the money toward a new battery--and solve your RFI issue at the same time!  73!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:29:21 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: