Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Am Confused  (Read 2831 times)
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »

I hold an Advanced Class License. Someone told me it will "turn into" an Extra Class License, because the FCC Did away with the Advanced Class License ?
I am in no hurry to upgrade to Extra, but what is the truth about us Advanced Class License Holders ?
LOL, I may just DIE with my Advanced Class License, since there aren't gonna be any more of us  Roll Eyes
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »

At this time, the FCC is not promoting Advanced class licensees to Extras, and has announced no plans to do so in the future.

The only sense in which the FCC "did away" with the Advanced class license is that they're not issuing any more of them.  Any existing Advanced licenses can be renewed indefinitely.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »

At this time, the FCC is not promoting Advanced class licensees to Extras, and has announced no plans to do so in the future.

The only sense in which the FCC "did away" with the Advanced class license is that they're not issuing any more of them.  Any existing Advanced licenses can be renewed indefinitely.
Thanks for enlightening me. I hear the new Extra Exam is a breeze, compared to the old Advanced I passed.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:24:36 AM »

Thanks for enlightening me. I hear the new Extra Exam is a breeze, compared to the old Advanced I passed.
[/b]

It is and you already passed the hard part. They puy the two pools together, so some of the questions you shpuld already know!?
So what are you waiting for ?  Upgrade!!!

Rick  wn2c
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:29:47 AM »

Some people view going from a grandfathered Advanced class to a current Extra would be a downgrade.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:42:33 AM »

Some people view going from a grandfathered Advanced class to a current Extra would be a downgrade.

Why?

All the old Advanced questions (except those dealing with regulations that were changed) were put in the Extra pool. Yes, the code tests went away, but for ten years (1990-2000) you could get any class of US license with no more than a 5 wpm code test and a medical waiver.

I have a "current Extra" - it was issued in 1970 and been renewed ever since. It's not a downgrade from the Advanced - which I got in 1968.

The reason the test seemed so hard for some folks is that they took it when they had a lot less experience.

73 de Jim N2EY

W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »

I held an Advanced Licence for a long time. I considered upgrading but the Advanced ticket was kind of special. I resisted until during a Sweepstakes I logged a station without paying a lot of attention to the freq read out (my mistake) and later when reviewing my log realized I had crossed over into the Extra portion of the band.  And to make it worse, it was the only QSO in that section (NNY) ruining what I thought was a clean sweep.  A one month effort using the on line tests available and I passed.  In some ways I miss the uniqueness of the class but I don't miss having to watch the readout all the time.

Clint - W5CPT -
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »

Clint -

Congratulations on the upgrade. And yes, the additional privileges (and the peace of mind they bring) are key.

As you have effectively pointed out, your resistance of the upgrade was really only hurting yourself.

Steve
W3HF

P.S. There's always Sweepstakes next year!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: