Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Anyone PREFER Digital Modes for DX-ing?  (Read 1466 times)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »

In my experience, CW is still the most effective mode for DXing, but RTTY has its charms. Phone holds no attraction, but if a needed DX station is QRV SSB, I'll be there.

I was thrilled to make the RTTY honor roll last year, thanks to Paul N6PSE and friends.

Dave, AA6YQ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »

RTTY honor roll is an incredible feat.  Now that you have worked just about every band and every mode what's left to do?  How about VUHR;)

Each mode has its pros and cons.  SSB stinks for DX'ing especially rare ones on simplex.  However I really enjoy ragchewing (domestic or DX) on SSB.  Digital is just another mode that I don't like or dislike.  On all dxpeditions if I could receive a station well on digital I will give it a try.  Most of the time I get through.  I will not spend hours looking a digital contact.  My DX digital contacts are mostly opportunistic in nature.  I have relied on digital mode for ATNOs.  My one and only contact for T6 is PSK31.  Lastly, CW is still new to me and I'm beginning to like it more and more.

Jonathan W6GX
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 12:51:32 AM »

Growing up in the 1970s and reading QST magazine, I dreamed of RTTY but it wasn't possible then. Too expensive and I didn't have an elmer to help with the equipment (my dad was an old-school US Navy radio guy who taught me CW riding around in the car).

Fast forward to 2009 when I got back into radio: I still love CW but I took the time to build a little digital interface and play with RTTY and other digital modes. For me, the tinkle-tinkle of RTTY has a certain charm. I like the raw sound of those weird digital modes too and have played around with them a little. Sometimes rare DXpedition pile-ups are easier for me to crack on RTTY than CW (although the number of deaf, non-stop callers in pile-ups seems to be growing...).

But CW is still much more effective for me than any digital mode (I hear people saying that PSK is more efficient but I don't believe it!).

Gary, ES1WST
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:22:01 AM by WS4T » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 04:16:03 AM »

I enjoy operating CW, JT65, and RTTY--each has its place in my operating arsenal.  I'll get on phone if I see a spot for something I really need, but normally the rig is set to one of the digital modes.  Grin

I have yet to get on phone this year--my last voice contact was with a famous Monk...

I've had a great time working 80M DX on my cheap wire vertical and 100W--figured it cost about 1/10 the cost of the flagpole vertical I put in the front yard.
I can't believe how many Europeans want to ragchew on 80M CW  Grin  I'm up to 70/35 on 80.  And 124/92 on 40. Digital guys QSL quickly--I've gotten 19 countries confirmed on 40 since 1/3/13, when I started keeping track.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:44:19 AM by W1VT » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: