Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to HF antennas... Which one....  (Read 5637 times)
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 03:47:40 PM »

What issues would you have?  Good question!  Unfortunately there's just no 'set' answer to it.  It could range from nothing in particular to burning your mustache off when you key the mic. 
That first 'stake-hole' behind the cab just isn't the 'best' place to put an antenna for any band.  Get it just a foot or so further back and almost anything can be made to work.
As already alluded to, if an HF mobile antenna isn't 'big-n-ugly' it won't work worth a hoot.  That's more 'true' the lower you go in frequency/bands.  "Unnoticeable" and HF are two things that don't 'fit' too well together.  sort of like a "political truth", you know??
 - 'Doc
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »

what issues would you see if I use the stake hole behind the cab? with interferance, feedback or ?tuning ?
Well, using my Dodge pickup's stake hole locations as a guide. Mounting a Little Tarheel II in that
spot would put it very close to the cab and would create tuning problems. Ideally, the antenna should be mounted in a way that the coil is above the roof of the cab. Baring that, having it as far
away as practical, will make tuning it easier, and improve your signal as well.
 Do some reading on Alan's website and you will get a better feel on what you need to do. You may have to make some compromises but, you can minimize them by following Alan's suggestions as much as practical in your situation.
  A little time spent on details will pay off in the long run. (bonding etc.)
james
WD5GWY

Edit, I guess I could have read your post a bit better and said, ALL of the above!
All the issues you mentioned could easily become a problem with the antenna mounted
that close to the cab.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:52:50 PM by WD5GWY » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 07:52:59 AM »

........I just solved a HUGE RFI problem in my Tahoe...  If you have a Tahoe disconnect the rear window defroster as a test.  Most of your induced RFI in the truck should go away...  I will be bypassing them later this year when the weather gets better...  The HF antenna is mounted on the trailer hitch, and runs about 2 feet from the rear window defogger.  The Tahoe would die when transmitting!........

What year Tahoe, Dave?  I don't want to hijack the thread. Mind if I conact you offline?
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 06:40:55 PM »

W4KVW,

I see that the Tarheel II antenna is just about 4" taller at highest setting than the V2 but I have some questions. I should not need to get a auto tuner for this, right? How does this work, I have never used this type of antenna? Do I have to manually tune it every time? I want to use a standard stake hole mount and mount it on the top of the trucked. Will this antenna handle the wind load? If I don't need a tuner it would be right in my budget.

Kenny
AE5KH

Check out my QRZ.com page bio & see the pis & info on how I tune mine automatically with the tune button on the ICOM 7000.It's almost like working my ICOM 756 PROII from home.SWEETEST setup I have EVER ran mobile! {:>)  Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: