Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone want to see how a NCC-1 Antenna phaser kills noise?  (Read 1566 times)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »

I've been plagued by a neighbors high intensity discharge lights which he insists on running in the daytime.  So I bought a DX Engineering NCC-1 antenna phasing unit and an active receive antenna for the noise.  Was it a good purchase?
Here you decide!  Here is a spectrum from my P3 showing the 10MHz WWV signal (barely heard) before and after....

http://va2fsq.com/wp-content/uploads/2013-Jan-15-20-43-43.avi

Right click the link and store it locally for best results

Extremely good purchase!  Too bad there isn't a computer interface for it!!
Tom VA2FSQ

VA2FSQ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 04:06:30 AM »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for this link!  The improvement you're seeing is truly amazing.  I also have the NCC-1 and a single active Rx antenna that I use with my Tx verticals.  The NCC-1 output goes to my Rx antenna input. 

I've never seen this dramatic an improvement in my signal-to-noise, but I guess my local noise sources aren't nearly as strong as yours.  I purchased the unit mostly for use on 160m, but I find that it works perhaps even better for me on the higher bands, such as 12 meters. 

If I can find a place to put a second receive antenna, I might try using that.  Also, I'm considering using a couple of larger Rx verticals (such as those provided by Hi-Z antennas).

GL & 73,
Chuck  NI0C
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:08:04 AM »

Hi Chuck,
My primary tx and receive antenna is a HyGain AV640 mounted on top of the garage.  The "noise" antenna is about 30 feet away and I use a DX Engineering active receive antenna for this.  Since it is relatively close, it only works on 40 meters to 10m, but I really only need it on 40 and 20, the noise sources otherwise are acceptable.
Very worthwhile purchase.

VA2FSQ
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »

Hi Chuck,
My primary tx and receive antenna is a HyGain AV640 mounted on top of the garage.  The "noise" antenna is about 30 feet away and I use a DX Engineering active receive antenna for this.  Since it is relatively close, it only works on 40 meters to 10m, but I really only need it on 40 and 20, the noise sources otherwise are acceptable.

Have any of you used the MFJ-1025, (or 6), RFI reducer?  How does it next to the the DX Engineering one?

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »

I use the MFJ-1026 and I am impressed. Use an external noise antenna for the best results.

KB5UBI
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »

Wow.  That's pretty quiet, -140 dBm after kicking it in.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »

Hi Chuck,

Have any of you used the MFJ-1025, (or 6), RFI reducer?  How does it next to the the DX Engineering one?

Here's a write up

http://www.w8ji.com/mfj-1025_1026.htm

VA2FSQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: