Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russia sleeper spies  (Read 3571 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »

I was reading this article about 2 Russian spies trial in Germany. http://news.yahoo.com/2-alleged-russian-spies-trial-germany-145914131.html?bcmt=1358305810547-6a2ad3b1-9dbd-4e0c-a77b-302645d9db4d&bcmt_s=u#ugccmt-container-b

I would like to know more including frequency and tech specs on the special agents' radio they used.  Does anybody have any info?

Randy ka4nma
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »

"Badenov!  Keel moose and squirrel!"
   --Fearless Leader
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »

Russian sleeper cell? I'm picturing an HQ-129 and a Heath DX-100.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »

Four Cuban spies have been caught and convicted in the US in the last 10 years or so.  They were all using identical SW sets and recorders to copy broadcasts in the lower bands.  If you spend some time listening around 40m and down in the evening you can still hear nefarious transmissions.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »

hi,

FX has a spy show this season, The Americans.

Will be good to see some old radio equipment in use.

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/theamericans

73 james
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:57:46 AM »

A Story About 'Spies'

Four decades ago before I got my ticket I just had an HF receiver and a longwire running the length of my parent's garden. My father was happy with this but our neighbor, Mrs Clarke kicked up a real fuss because she thought it spoiled the view. One morning I was tuning around and there was a knock on the front door, I heard my father answer and then immediately afterwards an instruction from him to come down RIGHT NOW!!

A police officer looking very apologetic was standing on the doorstep. He explained that somebody had reported that a Russian spy was operating from the house and he would like to come in and look around. So, he came inside, and we all walked upstairs to my bedroom where I had my radio gear.

As the officer walked in to my bedroom the first thing he was was a QSL card from Radio Moscow  Grin

An hour later he left happy and smiling after his coffee and cake supplied by my mother and father. The 'Russian Spy' was never caught.

Tanakasan
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »

When I was in middle school, one of friends was a spy movie buff. Back then, computer data was stored on tape reels in a plastic container. He picked up one such reel at a surplus dump and fashioned a very convincing looking "TOP SERCRET" label for it as a joke prop for his room.  Years later, while he was in college his father decided to clean all of that junk out of his room and tossed the computer reel with the label on it.
Apparently, the sanitation worker thought it was real and tried to sell it or reported it.
Not long after, his family and friends were all visited by the FBI.  What made it worse, was that his father used to work in the Penatgon!

W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »

hi,

FX has a spy show this season, The Americans.  Will be good to see some old radio equipment in use.

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/theamericans

Keep an eye out for the retro computer equipment.  MARCH (MidAtlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists)  made the nearly-antique equipment available to the production company.

http://www.midatlanticretro.com/
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 08:58:20 AM »

At the start of WW2, civilians in the UK volunteered for various duties such as fire watching, 'special constables' (auxiliary policemen) and so on. My father was enrolled as a 'special constable' so he was seen to be involved but his duties when not at work were sitting in front of a National HRO receiver as a VI - Voluntary Interceptor - for the Radio Security Service, intercepting German signals. One of the neighbours, because the antenna was still up attached to a 40 foot timber pole) reported him to the police on several occasions because 'he must be transmitting to Germany!'

The OM had to be seen reporting to the police station every so often: the Chief Superintendent, being the only one aware of what the OM was doing (security!) found the situation most amusing, giving the letters to the OM. I believe eventually someone visited her and informed her that 'work of national importance was being undertaken' and she should keep her mouth shut about it.

In the early '50s, same neighbour complained that two lads using two tin cans and a piece of string to talk to each other were interfering with her broadcast radio!
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:18:44 AM »

I installed a 'music on hold' system for the telephone exchange at work.  It played light pops music.   Honest!

A couple weeks later my boss called me into his office and handed me a strong letter from one of our customers complaining about the automated system that asked intrusive personal questions while she was on hold.  *Bizarre*.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »

Four Cuban spies have been caught and convicted in the US in the last 10 years or so.  They were all using identical SW sets and recorders to copy broadcasts in the lower bands.  If you spend some time listening around 40m and down in the evening you can still hear nefarious transmissions.

What you are refering to are commonly known as the "numbers" stations.  They are or were AM broadcasters at about 6.9MHz or so that announced groups of numbers in Spanish.  Yes, they probably are coded groups being sent to agents somewhere.  Now, are they from Cuba or some other country or from our country?  Your guess is better than mine......

N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »

"Their instructions were received mainly through a special agents' radio. Their reports were transmitted to the intelligence via satellite. They also used an Internet video portal for hidden messages."

Maybe the numbers stas on hf to get instructions, and since they mention satcom it may be to the rooski polar orbit birds in a store and forward mode (my bet) or a geostationary, all running some form of encrypted burst mode as upload.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KF7ITG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »

Speaking of spies, the FBI and such. Today I happened onto a news report of a great bust TSA made the other day  Grin

A public school teacher was arrested today at John F. Kennedy International airport as he attempted to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a compass, a slide-rule and a calculator. At a morning press conference, Attorney General Eric Holder said he believes the man is a member of the notorious Al-Gebra movement. He did not identify the man, who has been charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction. 'Al-Gebra is a problem for us', Attorney General Holder said. 'They derive solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in search of absolute values.' They use secret code names like "X" and "Y" and refer to themselves as "unknowns" but we have determined that they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country. As the Greek philosopher Isosceles used to say, "There are 3 sides to every triangle." When asked to comment on the arrest, President Obama said, "If God had wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more fingers and toes." White House aides told reporters they could not recall a more intelligent or profound statement by the President. It is believed that another Nobel Prize will follow. Cool
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »

The only thing I can offer you from my own experience, is there is an active #s Russian who operates in the 04-0500utc roughly on 15721kHz-hiding underneath the skirt of R New Zealand's am bc on 15720kHz.
In this link, pay attention to posts from "Token" who is a foremost authority on #s stations. I was just the threadstarter in there:D
http://forums.radioreference.com/utility-listening/220035-numbers-station-15721khz.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: