Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your most memorable DX contact?  (Read 6537 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 02:58:14 PM »

PT0S, or rather the (*^*(^*$%^$^%$  Angry Angry Angry pirate who impersonated him. I thought I was being really clever the way I "worked" him.  Roll Eyes Tongue Angry

Second was JA2GWY, who I got as a Novice. It was just really cool to find that I could talk halfway around the world.

- WX2S
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:13:04 PM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »

3W8CW NOV 8, 1988

It was the first DXpedition to Vietnam since the war.  Very large pile-ups, lots of intentional QRM (as you could imagine).
SSB seemed hopeless to get through the QRM and the large amount of callers.  Even though I was using my new 5-element yagi, I knew that without an amplifier my best option was CW.  I finally broke through the pile.  I probably learned more trying to work that pile-up than I had any other up to that point.  It was a turning point in my hunt for DX.

Secondly, the next biggest thrill was sitting down for my first pile-ups during the ZL9HR DXpedition.  I cannot describe the thrill I had knowing that all these people were calling "me."  It was exciting, tension-filled, and exhilarating all at once.  It has to rank up there with one of the more notable experiences in all of my amateur radio years.

Glenn
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:32:20 PM by KE4KY » Logged

Glenn KE4KY
Ham since 1975
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »

What was your most memorable DX Contact?   What contact sticks in your mind as the most memorable to you?
AC3PT

Google it...  I was a novice, and it was my first DX contact on 15 meters!  never did get a QSL though...  Sigh...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

What was your most memorable DX Contact?   What contact sticks in your mind as the most memorable to you?
AC3PT

Google it...  I was a novice, and it was my first DX contact on 15 meters!  never did get a QSL though...  Sigh...

When I was a teen in 1974 I had heard of Sikkim and knew where it was on a map but I did not know anything about the country other than its location.

That was a very good story by the German ham residing in Indonesia along with the letter from the King.

I don't imagine many hams were active in Sikkim. Was AC3PT the only ham in Sikkim?

If I had to vote right now I probably would vote for your contact with AC4CT.

Chris/NU1O
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 10:35:19 PM »

As far as I know he was the King of Sikkim...  And yes the only ham there...  I really wish I had known enough to actually get a QSL...  I had just gotten my Novice ticket, and it was maybe my first week of operations...  50 Watts, and a dipole at 20 feet...  Smiley  Those were the days!  Oh yes, I was a teen in those days as well...  Alas, that has changed also!  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N8XI

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 07:45:15 AM »

Mine was Tom Christian, VR6TC - Pitcairn Is.

Around 1972, I was at a club members QTH and he told me that VR6TC would QSO friends on the west coast.
Usually on 15 Meter SSB. He had a QSO with Tom on 15M SSB and had the QSL card to prove it  Cheesy
I then started reading material and the romance of the islands back then.
Snipets of Mutiny on the Bounty, etc.
The internet was almost non-existant at that time.
I said, one day I will have a QSO with Pitcairn Island!

I started truely DXing in July 1989.
My first QSO with Pitcairn Island was with Tom, VR6TC (15M CW) on 7-FEB-1990.
Since then I have worked Pitcairn Is. on RTTY & SSB, 8 other times including VP6T on 23-JAN-2012  Grin

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: