Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your most memorable DX contact?  (Read 5384 times)
N6PSE

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »

What was your most memorable DX Contact?   What contact sticks in your mind as the most memorable to you?
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »

By far, the 7O6T contact that I had with you - 17M SSB.

After missing ST0R, I upgraded my antenna farm, and after not being able to work you the first couple times you asked for "West Coast Only", I discussed taking my new nested Moxon (17/12M) and turning it vertical to see if I could get my signal up over the nearby mountain. I emailed Dean Straw, N6BV with an EZNec plot and asked him if my idea had merit (he already knew about my hilly terrain because I had shared my HFTA files with him). It was a total "Hail Mary Pass", but it worked. I swear - antenna building is a contact sport with me . . . .

Voila! Success!

Afterwards, you had remarked that my signal was weaker than NE5EE's in SF running a screwdriver vertical with radials, and to this day - this whole story and contact is my absolute favorite. I use that story in my Pacificon Antenna Forum presentations and people love it. I get big laughs every time I tell it.

Was it because I dropped the takeoff angle - or just luck since you had remarked that propagation was best that night.

I will never know the answer, but I got in the log.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »

Hi Paul!  Great idea for a topic...I know this will stroke some of you guys out there, but for me, it would have to be Monk Apollo, May 2002 20m ssb....there was a break in the pile, and I pounced as he had a very strong signal that day.....when he came back, I was doing cart wheels.....thats the most memorable dx for a rare one....for a gardent variety qso, it was to a fellow in Germany about 20 years ago who was nursing a cold....he made it known on the air that his medicine of choice was heavy doses of peppermint schnapps....and he would end each of his transmissions during the qso by yodeling......Too funny and totally unforgettable!......

V
KA3NRX

P.S. As far as dxpeditions go, it would have to be the ones where I almost ran the table (band and mode (SSB & CW) wise) with multiple contacts...those being last years HK0NA and 2008's VP6DX.....as for other dxpeditions, the list is endless.....

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:06:55 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »

Overall, I'd say it was my first Q with BS7H. The rarest of the rare that I'd ever worked. But I'd also add K1B on Baker-Howland many years ago, which clearly put the notion in my mind that my then-puny little station could indeed work the big DXpeditions. In the mix are 3Y0E on Bouvet, ZS8M on Marion and E30A in Eritrea.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:19 AM »

My most memorable was hearing P5/4L4FN in N. Korea just starting to call CQ on 15 RTTY with an S-7/8 signal. He said "up 1-2" but in a panic I set my vfo up 3 or so. When he didn't come back and called CQ again I realized my mistake, set my tx frequency correctly and worked him. He then called CQ for awhile with no replies. 

A month later he was told by the authorities to pack his gear up.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:43:26 AM by W2LO » Logged
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:19 AM »

P51BH ,
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »

The only HF QSO which was really unusual for me was my first VK0. Must have been like 1968 in the winter.
In October 1967 I had just bought a Galaxy V mark II. The next day my first daughter was born. what Huh

I have this 40M inverted vee on roof of house fed with RG-58. Supported by a cane fishing pole. Barefoot transceiver, and no remote or second VFO.

There he is below 7100 calling CQ and gives the frequency above 7200. I have to run that non-digital read out dial back forth to call the guy. Then run back down the band to hear him. Yet I made the QSO !

Of course this in the day when you had to listen to find the DX ! No cluster baloney !

I went to radio store and purchased a remote VFO for the Galaxy. Shock of first kid being born had worn off.

73 Tony N5UD
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »

In no particular order, some of my most memorable DX contacts have been:

--Being a newly minted general class ham in 1970 and calling CQ on 20 meter SSB and having Marshall Moran, 9N1MM, answer my call. Wow. That's DX!

--Working into VK6 long path on 75 meter SSB.

--Working 2 European stations in the 75 meter SSB DX window. Oh, I should mention I was running 5 watts from my Yaesu FT-817ND. They were quite impressed. Heck, so was I.

--Running the same FT-817ND mobile on 15 meter SSB, calling CQ and having a ZS answer me. I'd worked lots of DX with low power from my home station, but from the car with an inefficient antenna? I was stunned -- but in a good way.

--For 25 years, I worked SSB and CW on the low end of 2 meters doing weak-signal work. A buddy convinced me to try some 2 meter EME despite the fact I only had one yagi (but it was a big one) and about 200 watts. I got a schedule with a HB9 station on CW and although we came close we did not complete the contact. But I clearly copied my call off the moon on a couple of transmissions. Imagine, hearing your call sign all the way from Switzerland via the moon on 2 meters. Certainly one of my most memorable DX near-misses.

--Finally, working ZS8M, Pierre, from Marion Island a few years back. Pierre was forced to run modest power with modest antennas and I had a difficult time hearing him. I got up in the middle of the night a couple times a week for months only to meet disappointment time and time again. But then propagation, which had favored the West Coast on 40 meters, began shifting to a more favorable condition for the southeast. One morning, I made a contact with ZS8M on 40 meter SSB. Then a few hours later, I worked him again on 20 meter SSB. After trying for months, as luck would have it, I got him twice in the same day.

And that's the magic of DX.

73, N4KZ

KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »

Paul, Great topic!

I remember it as if it happened 10 minutes ago, rather than 33 years ago!  It was a CW contact down in the Novice segment of the 15 meter band with an Isle of Man station.  It is so memorable because it was my very first contact as a budding Novice class operator, who was lucky enough to have the station come back to a very, very shaky CQ!!  I guess I must have been destined to "suffer" the fate of being a DXer!

I can close my eyes and relive the experience, right down the the sweaty forehead, shaky hands and shallow breath! 

Thanks for having me recall that memory!!!
73 de Jim - KE8G
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »

JY1 , King Hussein of Jordan
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »

I have a couple contacts that I would call memorable. First, Monk Apollo, SV2ASP/A.  I had been trying for years to break the almost instant pileups that pounced on him. Luckily, I caught him calling CQ on SSB and worked him 2nd or 3 call. Almost a month later, once again, I heard him calling CQ, this time on CW, and again, nabbed him, less than five calls. Amazing, how they seem to get a little easier after you break the ice and get that first Q.

My second contact may not impress anyone but it did me. It was a hot morning in July of 2009. I was out cutting the grass at my S. Carolina QTH. It was quite muggy and I need a drink of something cool, so I went in and swigged a little Iced water. My shack was downstairs also, and I thought I would just take a breather and sat down and switched on the rig, dialing around in the CW portion of 20m. I heard a very weak signal that was sending a call that for some reason, did not sound "right".  I answered the 1Z9A station and received a 539 report. (Discovered later that I was on the side of the C-3SS) I asked his QTH, and he sent "KAREN" and was gone. I never got another dit from him. I logged the contact and forgot about it, not bothering to go to the trouble to look it up. I just assumed I had busted the call from a Lady named Karen. A year or so later, I got a card from W6GAM, the QSL manager for 1Z9A, "Laydo Moo", QRP in "Karen State, East Burma". I know, it's not valid for DXCC, etc. but it's quite UNUSUAL, and to me, one of my treasured contacts and cards.

73, Gene AF3Y
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »

I was still fairly new to HF in March 2009 and was working the ARRL DX contest looking for new ones. It was nearly 8 pm local time and 20 meters had been dead for quite a while. Since I didn't (and don't) normally work the low bands due to antenna restrictions I started tuning around on 20 again just to see if I could hear anything at all.

I soon found a very weak signal calling CQ contest and getting no takers. His call sign was R1ANC, but I couldn't imagine being able to hear Russia on 20 at that late hour. After we had exchanged our "5/9 100W" reports, I looked him up and discovered I'd just worked my first Antarctic station. A few minutes later, I found KC4AAA up the band and worked him as well. I was amazed that I had just managed to work both the south magnetic pole and the south geographic pole within about 15 minutes.

Dave, N6ORB
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »

I can never forget my very first real DX QSO made during February 1960.  I had recently upgraded my license from Novice to General Class, but I still hadn't acquired a VFO for my Globe Chief 90 transmitter.  I was calling CQ on 14120 KHz CW (using crystal control) and was answered by OH3NY.  My output power was about 50 watts, and my antenna was an end-fed wire about 50 ft. long.

I became a Dx'er that evening.  

I wrote about this in an article, "One VFO Short of a DX'er," that appeared in the December 2006 issue of the K9YA Telegraph.

Chuck  NI0C  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:45:17 PM by NI0C » Logged
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »

In 1979 I was listening on 20m SSB to a QSO between a ham in Michigan and a ham in the Soviet Union. The guy in Michigan was talking about how he'd been looking forward to the 1980 Olympic games and that he was very disappointed when Jimmy Carter decided that the US wouldn't be participating in protest of the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan.

Me and the Russian were both surprised - he at learning of the protest by numerous countries (not just the US) which had been in the news for weeks by then, and me at "ear witnessing" this guy getting that belated news via ham radio rather than locally from Pravda, Izvestia, et al.

So my most memorable DX contact was one in which I didn't even participate!

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »

In 1979 I was listening on 20m SSB to a QSO between a ham in Michigan and a ham in the Soviet Union. The guy in Michigan was talking about how he'd been looking forward to the 1980 Olympic games and that he was very disappointed when Jimmy Carter decided that the US wouldn't be participating in protest of the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan.

That is a fabulous story, John! I'll bet he scared the Russian half to death.  I remember very vividly how common Russian people would have a terrified look on their face when an American TV network would single one out for an opinion during the Cold War.

That was probably the only time I've ever agreed with Carter.  Wink

Chris/NU1O
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: