Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your most memorable DX contact?  (Read 7419 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »

AB3CX, that is IMPRESSIVE!
W6QW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »

JY1

As a young ham, King Hussein took the time to talk to me about the future of radio telecommunications and technology as he saw it, despite a pile up.  We continued occasional QSO's and he always was cordial to us young hams.  He helped ratify my decision to pursue an an engineering career.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »

Imposed? No one is forced to use it. The problem is that everyone's affected, something like the Tragedy of the Commons. I'm was going to say that I was surprised to see you advocating for restrictions on freedom of use, given your occasional hints about your political leanings, but, of course, high-handed restrictions and common-sense rules are in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, everyone is affected by the technology. OTOH, I don't recall any great clamor for the technology and I don't recall a debate or a vote as to whether it should be implemented.  If something unwelcome is in place and I didn't ask for it, I consider that imposed on me. I do know my most memorable DX contact would've been almost impossible to make had the existing technology been in place when I worked Kerguelen Island back in 1988.

I participated in the NA QSO Party for a few hours Saturday and I couldn't use the spotting networks but I still enjoyed myself and that's the basic prurpose of a hobby.

I have given some hints about my political views - like recently writing I hardly ever agreed with Carter - but those views are complex and not easily pigeonholed.

Chris/NU1O

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 09:05:51 AM »

Yes, everyone is affected by the technology. OTOH, I don't recall any great clamor for the technology and I don't recall a debate or a vote as to whether it should be implemented.

How would such a vote be held? More importantly, how would the results be enforced?

If something unwelcome is in place and I didn't ask for it, I consider that imposed on me.

Wait, let me make my list. I can think of many things - and people - who fall into that category! Present company excepted.  Smiley
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »

How would such a vote be held? More importantly, how would the results be enforced?

I should've added a sarcastic face or some emotion because I'm just making a point and not suggesting an actual vote could've been held.  When powerful and controversial technology is added and it affects all of us, I do think there should be a robust debate as to the pros and cons of that technology and what the change will mean for the average ham. I was likely QRT when the spotting networks became widespread.

Was there any kind of public discussion before the spotting networks went online and on the UHF/VHF bands or were the spotting networks just implemented by those who created them?  I think the answer is important and makes a big difference.

Chris/NU1O

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »

BTW, Chris, heard you work FK8 right before me the other day on CW.  Nice job!
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »

My most memorable was not that much DX.  I had been licensed for a few months and I had just made a Sunday night contact with what had to be a very competent 10 year old kid who was following a script in his head about how to make CQ calls.  I listened for a bit after and he had just made contact with another ham stating he was "air mobile".  This threw the kid off his script but he countered pretty well saying that he liked planes too, what kind of a plane was he flying, which got the response that it was a 747 Jumbo Jet.  This frazzled the kid a bit more and he stumbled a bit when he asked what state the pilot was in.  The pilot answered with " Well right now I am 30,000 feet over the Colorado Rockies".    At this point the kid was lost and I could almost here the chuckles in the cockpit when the kid asked him if he knew where he was flying to and the pilot said he was pretty sure he had left LAX and was headed to Chicago O'hare. 

I'll never forget that one.  As for me, the day I contact Antarctica was be a banner day.  So far I can only hear them and they are in my weakest direction and at the upper limit of distance.

Sam
W9KDX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »

BTW, Chris, heard you work FK8 right before me the other day on CW.  Nice job!
Hi Mark,

I have worked Sam, FK8DD, on 3 bands but I had never worked him long path before so I thought I'd add that.  I'm not often on in the afternoon but 20 meters has been very reliable to Oceania via the LP whenever I've had the rig on at that time over the last few months. The long path opening on 20 is probably longer and more reliable than the short path opening to Oceania. It is also nice he uses LoTW.

Chris/NU1O

KC2SST

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 08:29:04 PM »

A few QSO's stand out vividly for me.  The first has to be ST0R, I have never felt as part of history as I did that hot afternoon when I worked them on 20.  I have been alive long enough to see quite a few "new ones," but alas I wasn't a ham at the time.  The timing of the expedition made everything all the more exciting.  Not only a new country, and of course a new entity, but to be on the air so quickly?  How exciting!

The second QSO that I find especially memorable was 7O6T.  I was away on a business trip to New Orleans, when I happened to see that the sudden news.  I gave serious consideration to leaving early, but as luck would have it, I arrived home in time to work them.   What an amazing feeling, to do what I thought would always remain an impossible dream.

My favorite has to be HK0NA on 80 SSB.  I had been in bed for quite a while-- have to be up early for work.  I just had a feeling that I really needed to check out the cluster at that moment in time.  Drag out the laptop, and I watched the first 80m spot be posted.  I was down in the shack in what must have been seconds.  I turned on the amp, just hoping it would warm up fast enough.  But in the mean time, I would give a call with my measly 100w and a 40/80 trapped dipole at around 40 feet.  Second call, in the log, the amplifier never even warmed up.  I didn't sleep a wink that night.
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »

My favorite contact of all time was when I was traveling in Europe. I stayed at the Intercontinental hotel in Geneva, Switzerland. I put an Outbacker antenna out the window, only one station was heard and he was 60db over S9. It was 4U1ITU. Of course I broke through the pileup in one call and told the operator where I was and he invited me down to the station which was a 10 minute walk. I told him I had I had a schedule with my Dad AF7Y, he was to listen for me each day while I was in Europe during a certain window, it happened to coincide with my visit to 4U1ITU. At the specified hour I called my Dad who was living in California at the time.  AF7Y this is 4U1ITU.  Its not every day rare DX called him out of the blue. Long story short, I hand delivered the QSL Card! That is by far my favorite DX contact!

Close seconds are VK0IR in 97, SV2ASP/A on New Years Day this year

Jon
K7CO
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »

I worked LU3ZY South Sandwich 2x per week for six months in 1981. This was the Argentine scientific station. The op and I became good friends.

Working the first BS7H operation in 1994 was very very difficult from the northeast...they were using an R5 vertical with 100W. That operation didn't count and I had to work them again in 1995, again very diffcult as they were again using 100w again with an R5 and R7 vertical.

In the realm of interesting was the odd/even day DXCC country. On one day it would be country x and the next it would be country y for DXCC. My recollection is hazy but I think "British Phoenix" was one of the days.....? So I worked the same guy in the same place on two days in a row and bagged two countries. Man, some weird stuff has taken place through the years on DXCC.

Then there were those countries and pileups that you suffered through that didn't amount to anything: XZ5A Burma, P5RS7 N. Korea (I think Romeo is languishing in a prison on Long Island now...not for this though), 1Z9A Karen National Union, 0S1A Principato di Seborga, KL7RA Pribilof Islands, etc.

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »

As someone that does not have a long history of DXing, I am absolutely loving all of these stories. Keep 'em coming!

In the realm of interesting was the odd/even day DXCC country. On one day it would be country x and the next it would be country y for DXCC

Could you provide some more background and detail about this? Are you speaking of BS7H alternating between China and Philippines? I did a bit of searching, but this is a new DXCC phenomena I'm unaware of, though in my studies of DXCC history I'm quickly discovering that about anything is possible.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:31:44 PM by N7SMI » Logged
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 03:50:57 AM »

In the realm of interesting was the odd/even day DXCC country. On one day it would be country x and the next it would be country y for DXCC

Could you provide some more background and detail about this? Are you speaking of BS7H alternating between China and Philippines? I did a bit of searching, but this is a new DXCC phenomena I'm unaware of, though in my studies of DXCC history I'm quickly discovering that about anything is possible.

T31AE & SM0AGD/KH1 from Canton Island in 1982.

At the time Canton was under joint administration between Kiribati and the US.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 05:45:28 AM »

VK0JS.  The bands were absolutely dead.  But I was at club station that had a Hygain 204B, not the BA, that was put up at 100 feet to work phone patches during the Vietnam war--we had a really big signal on 20 meters.  I had the bright idea to call CQ   Cheesy  VK0JS called in!  Grin

The 204B has a 31ft 4inch diameter boom, compared to the thinner 26 ft boom on the 204B--yes, that extra boom length does make a difference.  They are both 4 element monobanders made by the same company, but the 204B is clearly superior.

Zack W1VT
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »

VE5AEX on 40m CW. That was my first QSO outside of the US when I was a novice.  I wondered at first if a couple of my friends were playing a joke on it.  It was the spark, though, that ignited the DX bug in me.  What can be more memorable than that?

John AF5CC
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: