Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was more memorable?  (Read 1084 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »

The 59, c-ya qso to the rare one?  Or an actual conversation you had with a dx station?......In light of Paul's thread, I thought I would throw this one out there for $#1+s and giggles......This may have been a topic of discussion before, but I was wondering if that actual conversation with someone in another part of the world was acutally more memorable than the drive by shot gun qso for that ATNO.....I have had many solid conversations over the years with your typical garden variety stations.....and they were very much enjoyable.....I remember one qso I had with a fellow in Sweden about hockey......and another fellow in Ireland about the Pittsburgh Steelers.....to me, that's where it's at......"59 thanks" is ok for that new one, but other than that, it gets mighty old after a while......

V
KA3NRX

N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »

A few years back I was on 12 meter SSB and Paul, then A35RK, in Tonga answered my CQ. I had already worked him a few other times but all were in pile-ups and quick QSOs on other bands. This time we had a ragchew -- 90 minutes worth. He told me all about life in Tonga on a small farm and life with solar cells to run the ham gear and computers and much more. Great conversation. I thought when we finally signed there would be a big pile-up for Paul. Not one caller!

Back in the 1990s, I frequently got up early and got on 20 meter SSB around 6 a.m. The VK stations were rolling through from Australia. I worked one particular VK2 about six times in a couple of months. We always had very interesting chats about all types of things. Then the Dayton Hamvention came along and I was walking through the flea market as I do every year at Dayton. Suddenly, I hear an Aussie voice calling, "Dave, Dave, stop, I want to meet you." I looked around and standing beside me was the very VK2 I had worked several times in recent months. Despite all our contacts, he'd never said one word about going to Dayton. Needless to say, our chance meeting at Dayton was something special.

And another very memorable QSO was just a few nights ago on 15 meter SSB when I worked a JA. He travels frequently to the USA on business, he said, and he speaks fantastic English. He told me about the good time he had last year had on a business trip to a city near where I live. Many JA ops speak good English but his was a cut above most and therefore we could have a real conversation -- more than just the usual radio stuff. A nice QSO like that really makes it all worthwhile.

73, N4KZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »

Making friends with EP3PK, ZS8M, UA4WHX and many other DXers.

Rich
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »

Mine would be A22EW.Sajid.I worked him maybe 100 + times and had regchews for a few hours at atime a few times. Then he moved to Canada and we went to visit Sajid and his family.It was great.To this day we talk on the phone,email send gifts to each other and still have qso's on 40m.Its been about 15 years and still going strong.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »

I can't remember his call (need to get my old paper logs out of the attic), but in 1980 I befriended a Ukranian ham who I worked on CW on 20 meters.  I was a teenager then, and had a few words of Russian I send.  His English was excellent, and he taught me a "real language" Ukranian, on CW.  He also had the same birthday as me, although 4 years older.  His name was Henry Portnow.  He was a University student in Moscow.  We exchanged mails for several months before I left for college.  I should look him up, see where he is today.  This was during the height of the latter half of the cold war, Soviets has just invaded Afghanistan, we just got our hostages back from Iran, Reagan campaigned (and won) on facing down the "evil empire," my Dad was in the Army at the time, and here I was having regular schedules with a Ukranian ham.

Another was working (and later visiting) J6LMV (now J69MV), Tot Henry, in St. Lucia.  I worked him from my military housing in Puerto Rico at the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in August 1988, then my Coast Guard cutter visited St Lucia in October 1988.  Tot was (and is) one of the nicest people I have ever met.  He introduced me to his wonderful family, showed me all around the island, and played host to me.  I always wondered what happened to him...until 6 months ago I heard him calling CQ on 10 meters!  We worked and re-established contact.  My wife even knows about him...any time since 1988 that the subjecct of the Caribbean comes up, I recount my visit with Tot.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »

Another memorable one happened last October.  I only have a few VK6 stations in the log, it's almost the antipode from here.  I happened to hear a VK6 long path (confirmed by several other stations).  I called him, looked up his call on QRZ, and saw his best buddy an Australian cattledog that he rescued.  I have several golden retrievers who we rescued.  We started a conversation that lasted 30 minutes and shared some terrific dog stories.  Probably one of the best QSO's in my 35 year ham career.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »

Kissing my girlfriend for the first time 25 years ago.  Oooops, sorry wrong forum.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:04:47 AM »

Kissing my girlfriend for the first time 25 years ago.  Oooops, sorry wrong forum.

Hey if you did it in cw mode with the tongue it might count as a new country. I would check on it with ARRL.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 08:37:06 AM »

That is WAY TO MUCH info.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »

I tend to remember the unusual or rare openings. East coast US to RI1ANF and VK6 in the past few weeks on 160M. The "low solar year" openings on 10M, often long path, to VK, JA, especially during contests. A couple times several years ago when Mongolia was pounding in on 40M, in the middle of the (local) sunny afternoon. Running on 15M in ARRL DX last year, getting simultaneous calls from EU, JA, VK, and VU. None of the above are awful rare (OK, I don't work that many VU's), just the unusual combinations.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »

I also remember unusual band openings most:

Sometime in the 1990's I was operating the NAQP cw contest from Ralph K9ZO's qth in IL. After
the contest was over (0600z) we were tuning around on 160. The band was full of European stations
with S9+ signals. Ralph's 160 antenna was not great- a 1/4-wave sloper from a 70 ft tower. It was mostly
a high-angle antenna, normally really bad for DX (at one 160m contest from there I think I worked every
W8 and W9 but little DX). But in this opening it just took one call (using 100w, no amp available) to work
any of the eu guys- it sounded like they were in the next state over. I have never heard 160 like that again.

Not on HF, but in IL I remember catching a big sporadic-E opening on 2M. I heard a bunch of far-off stations
on my 2M HT which was attached to a little ground plane vertical. Rushing to the campus club station (W9YH)
I worked a bunch of GA and FL stations with 10w on 2M SSB using a little yagi just 20 ft off the ground.

Most recently it was working 3A2LF on 15m from here (MS). But this was via long path, and at the same time 15
was open to Europe via short path. Long path to Asia is pretty common here, and to long path Europe from the
west coast.  But I didn't think long path to Europe was possible from here on 15 or 10.

Tor
N4OGW/5
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: