Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXpedition of the Year for 2012  (Read 3645 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »

Results (whether or not you agree Roll Eyes) are on line at:

http://dx-world.net/2013/dxpedition-of-the-year-results/

73, Gene AF3Y
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »

Reverse the order and I would agree. Malpelo island was a tough activation, but Yeamen, was probably as tough to activate AND an unstable region.

EDIT: Malpelo would have won in my book if Al Qaeda inhabited the rock  Grin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:48:24 PM by AD9DX » Logged

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »

Congratulations to the HK0NA Team for their efforts!
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »

Yes, congrats to the HK0NA team for a great DX'pedition and I was happy to get them in the log for a ATNO. It would have been interesting if DX World would have broken down the results by geographical area. Perhaps 7O6T would have been #1 by DX'ers here in NA/SA, while EU, Asia, and the Pacific favored the Malpelo effort.

John K7KB
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 04:18:06 AM »

This is why I'm not a big fan of DX'pedition of the Year. (Although I did vote)

On one hand HK0NA went to a place that was extremely dangerous just to get there. But even more than that, the planning that got the stations up and running even before the team arrived including the one  on top of the rock. I'm sure everybody has seen the pics and videos. Are you kidding me? Just to get to Station A was a challenge, not even considering getting rigs, antennas, and other equipment up there. And then they run this thing for almost a month (main team for half a month) racking up close to 200K QSOs and 43,000 plus unique call signs. I mean WOW!

Then there was 7O6T. The diplomacy and planning that had to go into this one had to be nothing less than phenomenal. Here's a country that for all intents and purposes had no rules, regs, or anything else addressing amateur radio operation. I'd guess most of the people they had to deal with had little, if any, knowledge of ham radio and if they did, I'd bet it wasn't very high on the priority list given the country is about politically unstable as you can get without being Somalia. And then to find a safe place to operate! And this wasn't one of those 6 or 7 day operations. This team ran the station for half a month knocking out over 162K QSOs and almost 38,000 uniques.

They both deserve DX'pedition of the Year! Congratulations to both and to the HK0NA team for getting the nod.

Personally my vote went to 7O6T - 7O wasn't ranked No.5 on the most wanted list for nothing, and the shear improbability of 7O getting activated made for a stunning operation.
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:16:23 AM »

It's silly and pointless, and I didn't. It brings to mind a bunch of school girls making lists of their favorite teen heart throbs, or the idiotic and self-congratulatory Oscars, etc. I simply say thank you to everyone for the efforts required and sacrifices endured.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59:17 AM »

It's silly and pointless, and I didn't. It brings to mind a bunch of school girls making lists of their favorite teen heart throbs, or the idiotic and self-congratulatory Oscars, etc. I simply say thank you to everyone for the efforts required and sacrifices endured.

I did not vote, either.  There were too many trips to dangerous places and I couldn't single one out over the others. 

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:00:16 AM »

I have 4 rare ATNO's in the past year from single operators and 3 rare ATNO's from large DX-peditions.

So - rating only the large DX-peditions seems kind of silly. However I did partake in the silliness and voted anyway. Mainly because Col's web site is really excellent, and because the large DX-peditions love this kind of stuff. There will be more of these "best of" polls and I expect some of the other large big dx-peds to win.

I would expect that the real award is the operator that got to go to a place very few others have gone - which turns out to be all 7 I worked in the last year.

When you get over 325, ANYTHING YOU WORK is "the best" . . . . . "the rarest" . . .  Grin
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 07:14:21 AM »

"... and because the large DX-peditions love this kind of stuff."

This I don't understand. Seems like a very shallow and insufficient motivation.

I would expect that the real award is the operator that got to go to a place very few others have gone - which turns out to be all 7 I worked in the last year.

I agree. The satisfaction of a job well done is the greatest reward. In any field, the real pros let their actions do the talking.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »

I am not a big fan of these phoney awards.

All it has done is cause un-necessary dissent between the groups that do these expeditions. Roll Eyes

I hope in the benefit of the community, such crappy awards will be scrapped.

We need each and every team to go out there and activate these rare ones.

Esp, the Dayton awards have been shimmered with such politics that the same group sort of
stays at the top for such awards. I am not a big fan of their politicially based awarding scheme.

I am sure someone is going to come and challenge me for specifics, but i will refrain from details.
Sorry.

Lets leave the awards for contests, ie where they belong and continue with the business of activating
and chasing rare Dx.

73s
krish
w4vku
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »

"... and because the large DX-peditions love this kind of stuff."

This I don't understand. Seems like a very shallow and insufficient motivation.

When you go to any DX-pedition website where they won such an award - they usually have a picture of the team at Dayton or Visalia showing off that award.

I am OK with it though - its a great excuse to party and keep the celebration going. For me personally, the award is always terribly anti-climactic . . . I revel in the learning along the way - the experience that you will never exactly duplicate again in life. Call me "Grasshopper" . . . . [Zen and the Art of DX] . . .

My biggest award is giving Antenna presentations that are always heavily antenna and propagation oriented - and centered around DX-ing. For me - its a way to share my experience and try to get others excited about DX-ing. I try to add in as much humor as possible - because after all, this is a hobby, and it is FUN.

I always think of UA4WHX whenever I see these awards given out. Vlad has easily given me more counters than any one or any group. His travels criss crossing the globe absolutely astound me - as does his ability to always hear my piss poor excuse for a signal.

I don't think Contest awards are any different than DX-pedition awards . . . just my opinion.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:37:46 AM by KY6R » Logged
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:37:43 AM »

Sheesh, what a bunch of grumps.  Grin

Eric
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 07:55:43 AM »

Sheesh, what a bunch of grumps.  Grin

That's right! And we've worked for years to get so tainted! So back off!  Grin Grin Grin

Besides, we're waiting for the next new one to come on the air.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:30:37 AM »

I voted for VP6T, 7O6T and HK0NA

VP6T was a first class op, and they were listening for my part of EU when we had prop. very few operations do this. Just because SV,I,EA and the rest of Southern EU have prop to most places most of the time, from NW EU we have a very small window to that part of the world and they bothered to listen for us so for me that makes it a excellent operation.

7O6T Gave me a very unexpected new one and fair play to the team for getting this one on the air,

HK0NA went above and beyond with there operation. at one point the seemed to be on every band and mode at the same time. There can hardly be one person that needed then they didn't work, I managed 23 slots from a poor station so that says all I need to about how well the covered the bands and delt with the demand. my only regret is I didn't stick up a top band antenna to try for them there,

Trevor
EI2GLB
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:07 AM »

A few moaners, I see. For info, I decided to create the DXpedition of the Year survey/poll in recognition of the excellent expeditions which take place every year. Do you really think I would waste my time creating something "silly" so it could be scrutinised by those who didn't vote, but just so happened to visit this thread anyway?  Roll Eyes

For the avoidance of doubt, the survey was well received going by the number of votes / clicks and in the end I think we all knew it would be a straight choice between HK0NA and 7O6T.

Bob Alphinn K4UEE emailed to say:

Thanks Col,
   Yet another great honour for HK0NA.
Thanks,
Bob

Nothing silly about that, don't you think?

In the meantime, the next survey will be December 2013 and every year onwards, and I don't really care if it's perceived phoney or not. It's certainly recognition and that's how it will always be set out.

Col MM0NDX
DX World.net

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:02:19 AM by MM0NDX » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: