Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 1401  (Read 1548 times)
KC2RMO

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »

Hi-

I was wondering if anybody has tried one of these with say a Hamstick or Chameleon antenna, and if they have, how were the results? I have a restricted space situation, and thought maybe it could be a reasonably priced solution that I could mount on the roof up out of the way.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:28:27 PM »

The kit in question is designed to work with UHF/VHF antennas only. With 20 inch radials , the ground plane would be useless at HF.

Russ, W5RB

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1401
KC2RMO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »

That says it all right there - didn't see that it was a UHF/VHF product.
THANKS!
Gary
N6OG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:23:38 AM »

I have used a number of the Chameleon antenna and they work well in a confined space.  I have the Hybrid mount and used the V2L with it or the 50' wire antenna and on my other one replaced the 50' wire with 103' and have the best signal reports I have ever had.  I would give them a try.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 04:05:54 AM »

Gary,

There are options for using a Hamstick or similar antenna for portable or limited space HF use.  One is the Alpha Delta Outpost tripod:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-001639

It's very heavy, very expensive, and very discontinued, but apparently HRO still carries it.  Afriend of mine showed me his 10 or 12 years ago and I was very impressed with the performance, but also impressed that it weighed and costed about 8 times what it needed to.

So - I built one.  I used 1/8" thick, 1/2" aluminum angle stock from a big box hardware store.  For about $30  or so in materials and about 3 hours work I had something that weighed less than three pounds and fit inside a ishing pole carrier.  I used it a number of times for portable operations with Hamsticks on several bands 20M and up, and they matched better than they did mounted on my car.  Worth a try if you're even mildly handy.

Don, K2DC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: