Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZS8D – Marion Island  (Read 6502 times)
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »

I invested at least 200 hours of listening

You did that barely 5 months into HF?  I'm sure you are very proud of that QSO.

ZS8M was the first person to make me HATE amateur radio.

Yes it is annoying when others could work him so easily.  I have heard the same thing as what you heard.  OTOH you might find yourself as the one hated one day.  I have ragchewed with DX stations and those who were waiting to work the DX might be cursing at me.  I did what I did not to show off but it could be perceived that way.  Ham radio is just like a lot of things in life.  There are bullies and there are those who are bullied.  Just remember it's only a hobby!

Jonathan W6GX

Super proud of it, it was an accomplishment. None of the people I knew personally ever worked him.. only me…. They all said I was crazy staying up and sitting on my radio for hours – BUT I HAVE THE QSL CARD  I like winning and defeating challenges.

I am very much over getting mad at people now, I have not gotten through so many times I don’t get angry – But I will still sit and try for 5 hours for 1 QSO with a new one, no problem at all. I don’t have a wife or kids, and my GF likes me to do whatever I want if it makes me happy, so I’m free to play radio all day if I want. Go to work, go to practice, feed the dog, be nice to the woman is about all I need to do.  Another memorable one is working Zambia, one of my first CW QSO’s AND my 100th DX entity a few months prior. Brian’s simple blue and black QSL with the lion on it is a prized possession.
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »

Is there a better alternative to a dipole with a resistor/heater?

Jonathan W6GX

According to what Pierre wrote on dx-world, "There will be NO extra antennas! We may only use the existing commercial antenna."

He was hearing better that he was getting out.

I had one qso with ZS8M on 40m using an inverted L, but he wasn't very strong. One qso from the mobile on 40m, he was a lot weaker. Thankfully, there was almost zero pileup, as it took 3 or 4 minutes to get everything sorted out. He wasn't hearing me very well, either.

One qso on 20m was long path, he was 5/6-5/7.

I'm a little confused now.  Is the inverted V the commercial antenna he's referring to?  If not then what kind of antenna will these two operators use?  I think one antenna is enough provided it's high enough and works well.

Jonathan W6GX

He just used the resistor terminated dipole (garbage), it was an inverted V. He did bring some other antenna’s (a stepper vertical IIRC) but the bird’s may have rammed them and hurt their beaks, and I think they were too noisy.

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »

I see an antenna tower on Rich's DXCC sleuth.  I can't think of an HF antenna that is more harmful to birds than an antenna tower.  So I don't see the fuss over a yagi antenna for HF.

Jonathan W6GX
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »

I think it’s more about not introducing anything new to the equation.

Regardless, Marion Island has garbage antennae with no QRO, are very hard to work, but have very nice ops!

I hope to hear them again, and would really like to hear a "cq cq west coast only", while I can hear them.

And hopefully not to many "ZOMG THANKS FOR 5TH BAND FROM NY. USED 5W TO LOW DIPOLE HEHEHE" on the cluster.

Even the dummies saying stuff like that while working Clipperton looked dumb. The cluster looks stupid, often.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 07:01:08 PM »

Pierre has responded to my question I posted on DX-World regarding the use of an amp.  This is good news.

Hi Jonathan,

David was appointed yesterday as the radio technician. The delay was caused due to a clerical error.
Carson and David might have access to an amp. Hold thumbs!
Take note: bands expected are 40 to 10m only. No 160 or 80m due to severe QRM from electrical system in the base.
They are both attending first aid, fire fighting, technical and cooking training now, so they are pretty busy.
They depart 10 April from Cape Town. We can expect them to operational from the middle of May, once the ship departs the island.
Once I have more info, I will publish it.
Pierre ZS1HF / ZS8M

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »

I had a feeling there was heavy QRN from generators there. It's probably why I could copy them, albeit weakly, and they could never hear me.

Thanks for sharing that.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »

And here's Pierre's last reply regarding the antenna.  I guess if I want to work ZS8 I'll have to perform any upgrades on my side Cheesy

Hi Jonathan,
Sadly we are only allowed to use the existing HF antenna. Part of my tasking was to upgrade the entire commercial HF system on the island. This gave the opportunity to upgrade the base antenna as well.
Also take into consideration that I only had 100 watts compared to those who were working me with much higher power and beams.
This time I trust they will have an amp, but they will be limited to an omni-directional broadband military HF antenna.
We are just ‘visitors’ to the island, the birds have the right of way.
Hope this info help you.
Pierre

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: