Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZS8D – Marion Island  (Read 6470 times)
K0AP

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:49:21 AM »

News from DX-World.net web site.

http://dx-world.net/2013/zs8d-marion-island/

73 Dragan K0AP
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:00:06 AM »

This is awesome.

I worked Pierre, ZS8M and will write the next DXCC Sleuth about Marion Island. I have some really great ideas and hints and tips on how to snag this one. This entity is so special to me - I will write the next DXCC Sleuth by the end of this weekend.

This is always a very exciting entity to have activated - and Pierre is one of the nicest hams I have met over the years - glad to see he is the QSL manager and is supporting this operation.

When someone asked if I thought if awards were silly - the answer is No - but the Award is stories like working Marion Island. That one QSO (and 5 months of pursuing it before I finally worked it) run rings around a trophy, plaque or certificate.

Stay tuned.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »

Thats great! Grin   BUT............... cant they send someone down there that can work a little CW?  I hate to have to get in the screaming matches.  Matter of fact, I Dont think I will.

Maybe the next one can do something besides SSB Huh.

73, Gene AF3Y
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »

Thats great! Grin   BUT............... cant they send someone down there that can work a little CW?  I hate to have to get in the screaming matches.  Matter of fact, I Dont think I will.

73, Gene AF3Y

Considering this would be a ATNO, I don't care if he's using EME, I'll figure out a way to work him Smiley

John K7KB
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:34 AM »

All SSB all the time is fine with me for now.  Grin

Eric
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »

73, Gene AF3Y

I'm just happy to see there will be a licensed ham there.

Chris/NU1O
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »

I worked Pierre, sent for a QSL but never got one back... maybe it got lost or something. Oh well, at least I'll be able to work this one hopefully.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »

I didn't work ZS8M as I didn't have the antenna for it.  I remember not seeing a big pileup as most people can't hear ZS8M that well.  I wonder what kind of antenna ZS8D will use.  And whether or not he will use an amp.  Anyone recall what Pierre was using equipment wise?

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »

I didn't work ZS8M as I didn't have the antenna for it.  I remember not seeing a big pileup as most people can't hear ZS8M that well.  I wonder what kind of antenna ZS8D will use.  And whether or not he will use an amp.  Anyone recall what Pierre was using equipment wise?

Jonathan W6GX

That is an easy path for those of us on the East Coast and he was always weak or not copyable.  He could not have had a beam and amplifier.

Chris/NU1O
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »

73, Gene AF3Y

Considering this would be a ATNO, I don't care if he's using EME, I'll figure out a way to work him Smiley

John K7KB

This would be an ATNO for me, but no way do I want SSB.  I guess I'll wait until someone who knows CW makes a tour of duty there, before I work it.

73 de Jim - KE8G
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »

73, Gene AF3Y

John K7KB

This would be an ATNO for me, but no way do I want SSB.  I guess I'll wait until someone who knows CW makes a tour of duty there, before I work it.

73 de Jim - KE8G

What do you think ZS8D's reaction might be if he read your comments?

Do you have any respect for anyone who can't work CW as fast as you can?

Was there a point in your life when you were just starting out on CW?

Jonathan W6GX
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »

I seriously doubt that it was even be remotely possible for me to ignore an ATNO running SSB. Assuming I could hear them. Smiley

I do share the wish, though, that they would forgo the mike.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »

73, Gene AF3Y

John K7KB

73 de Jim - KE8G

What do you think ZS8D's reaction might be if he read your comments?

Do you have any respect for anyone who can't work CW as fast as you can?

Was there a point in your life when you were just starting out on CW?

Jonathan W6GX

Jonathan,
I most certainly do have respect for someone who doesn't know CW or refuses to work CW, or works it faster or slower than me, just as I hope folks would have respect for me only wishing to work CW!  And how is my comment a slam to ZS1BCE/ZS8D?  If he chooses to learn or not learn CW, that is his prerogative! I choose not to work SSB, that is my prerogative and opinion! 

That's why I said I would wait for an ATNO when I have a chance of it being CW!  Just as I am very sure there are hams out there that wait for ATNOs when the op is only working CW & they would rather have SSB, RTTY, PSK, etc. 

I think you are really reading more into my statement than there actually is.

To each his own... it's only a hobby!!!

73 de Jim - KE8G
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »

I will post a picture of the antenna at ZS8M, and explain how to work them even on the West Coast. He only ran 100 watts.

I will write the blog later today - its one of my favorites and best "fish stories".

Rich
KY6R
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »

I'm excited that I will have another chance to work Marion Island.  I didn't pursue it when it was active a couple of years ago.  I guess all the CW preferred operators can get your mics out and start practicing screaming into it cause I bet for the first few months the pileup will be crazy.  I'm glad my DVR is working fine!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: