Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW contest question  (Read 836 times)
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 11:23:08 AM »

>>>>>>Thanks for all the replies.

My intent was never to cheat in a contest. I just like contest for the DX potential, and I stink at CW - wetware included. So recently when I got into digital modes on HF I thought I'd give software CW a try. What I dont want to do is tick-off real CW ops who could likely tell I was using a SignaLink and HRD by the mechanical style of computer CW.

I have respect for those who can do CW. My father could read 50wpm in the merchant marine. I passed my CW endorsements for my HF license, then totally lock up when I try to go live. No biggy, software to the rescue.
 <<<<<<

Thank you for posting the question! I was thinking the exact same thing this weekend.

BTW some of these contest ops are amazing.  I don't know how they do it.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »

"I don't know how they do it. "

I think they must have been doing this for a long time and have had lots of practice.
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 01:12:37 PM »

They must.  But from where I live, it doesn't even seem possible.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 01:51:11 PM »

"... it doesn't even seem possible"

Yoda to Luke Skywalker, "that is why you fail."

LUKE, USE THE FORCE.

It's the journey, not the destination.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »

"I think the absence of your log creates what they call "unique" contacts, meaning you, the counterpart did not claim the same exchange and left the other guy's log at his word."

A "unique" is a station that's not in *anyone* else's log.

It's likely that they're a busted call and not an actual station... like, why would N3OX show up and work some single W0 station and not make any other contacts while N3MX showed up in 300 other logs, but NOT in the W0's?

And uniques would have been, before computer log checking, a good way to cheat by padding the log with stations who you didn't work.  

Sometimes uniques are totally legit contacts.  Those who dip in and snipe for needed DX for fifteen minutes probably make up a fair bit of those.

The way organizers handle uniques depends on the contest.  They have to be careful.  A whole lot of uniques could point to cheating, or it could just point to, say, being VP6DX and entering a contest when people were still trying hard to work you :-)  

I even heard some story about a sabotage attempt where, I think, a contest station realized that they were being called routinely by a bootlegger or a few of them who was feeding them unusual calls..

Some contests (I was looking at CQ160) seem to have "trigger" points where too many uniques get you on a warning list and too many more than that automatically qualify you for the removal of uniques from the log.  I think some contests just remove uniques totally, which probably tweaks some people, but could help level the playing field between rare DX locales and boring, common locations if that was a desired goal of the contest.

But in the end, if I go ahead and work a few dozen serious stations in the contest, they will probably all submit their logs and the organizers can cross check for N3OX in a number of logs.  

Submitting a check log is a good thing to do, but you're not necessarily automatically deleting a contact from all your contacts' logs if you don't do so.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KE6AEE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »

LOL. A lot of CW contesters use memory keyers and computer logging.  The only reason someone is there is to switch on the power.  Those who contest by actually sending and receiving by hand have my respect.  I knew a guy here where I lived who just pushed buttons.

Richard
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »

>
"A "unique" is a station that's not in *anyone* else's log."

OK, that makes better sense in terms of semantics.

Then, I have been a unique in one contest. In the 2009 OK QSOP, my first ever mobile contest, I was finally able to resolve all wiring, logging software and other technical issues and operate for a short time. My goal was to get it all right and really participate with real exchanges, and I met that goal. But I was somewhat embarrassed about my small number of exchanges and did not want to post the log for all to see. (I now realize no one else cares, but that was then and this is now.) I asked whether the absence of my log would impact the logs of the "real" contesters I'd run and was told the other ops would get credit without my log--for THIS contest. I hope that does not make me a lid...If so, live and learn.

>
"I even heard some story about a sabotage attempt where, I think, a contest station realized that they were being called routinely by a bootlegger or a few of them who was feeding them unusual calls.. "

Behavior like that is completely pointless and beyond unconscionable. A better word is "stupid." That is the poster child for Liddom.

My gosh.

It's a "contest in a hobby" where there are no pecuniary awards, no advertising endorsements, no real glory for the winner and the only one who really cares who won is the winner himself. It's a personal satisfaction type thing.

Cheating in a Ham contest is like finding a way to cheat at "Frisbee."
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: