Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washing Machine RFI some good news to report  (Read 1696 times)
K2JVI

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »

I know this has been discussed a few years ago on this site and QRZ.com. But I thought a quick revisit may be in order.

We started looking at new washers/dryers because our old ones were 24 years old and showing their age. Based on what I read and heard form other folks, I was dreading the thought of having a washing machine spew massive amounts of RFI across the HF ham bands. OK now that the stage is set,here goes.

We did our research and settled on a fairly basic Kenmore washer/dryer pair. The price was right and its all we needed. The washer is a top load, however, it shares some of the electronic motor controls that the RFI emitting front load washers use so naturally I was a bit nervous. Before the new units arrived, I made several base line observations across all of the HF ham bands and noted the "typical" QRM and QRN at my QTH. With that in mind, we forge ahead with delivery, I installed the new appliances and nervously started a load of wash. As the machine filled up and started to agitate, I methodically tuned up and down each HF ham band and heard absolutely no QRM or any additional RFI while the washer was running thru all of its cycles. The only noise I can hear is when I take a portable radio tuned to 540KHz and place it right on the back of the washers control panel which drops off when I move the portable radio more than 8 inches away. Needles to say I was very relieved. So I can safely recommend
this washer as being ham friendly, and for that matter wallet friendly Grin. Its the basic Kenmore model from Sears, model 110.2002013 just FYI..
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

I recall when I first became a ham, in 1968, an instance of WMI (washing machine interference).  I had just received my Novice license and I put up a ground mounted vertical in the back yard.  Two days later, the next door neighbor complained that I was causing trouble to her washing machine.  This was 1968, way before washing machines contained any kind of EMI vulnerable components.  What made this even more ridiculous was that at the time she complained, I was not yet on the air.  I was still assembling my DX-60B transmitter. 
The neighbor would not listen to a logical explanation and threatened to report me to the FCC.  I told her to go ahead and I gave her the telephone number.  Next day I saw the appliance repairman's truck in front of her house. Never heard another word from her about it, which was as close as I would get to an apology.

WB2EOD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: