Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tarheel Antenna Model 100 stopped working  (Read 6765 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »

I have a model 100 ground mounted outside my apartment.   I went to install a n Amertion  SDC-102 controller. The antenna will not move.  I switched back to the manual switch and it does not move the antenna.  Any Suggestions?

Randy ka4nma
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »

What would be the results if the antenna stall current is reached? It is that or a bad power cable.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »

When I've had this issue with the Tarheel on my car its been corrosion on the pins for the motor control cable at the antenna end. 5 minutes with switch cleaner and a bit of wire wool to brighten up the pins sorts it.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »

What can I use instead of contact cleaner?
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »

WD40.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »

Are you sure you wired it correctly? Have you checked continuity of the cable? Was it working before you switched to the MFJ?

By the way, you really don't want to lube the coil with anything. Doing so will only allow it to collected dust, with predictable results.

If you can't get it working, call Robert or send him an email.

KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »

Alan,  It was working before the controller was added.   I got the controller direct from Robert at a local hamfest and it was pre wired.  I talked with Robert today and he thinks it is a power issue and I will be checking on that.

Randy
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »

I took the model 100 off the mount and brought it inside for some test.    I hooked it up both the SDC controller and to the manual switch.  I can feel a vibration which I think is the motor.  It still does not move.  Somehow it is jammed.  Any suggestions?   

What happens if the stall current is exceeded?

Randy ka4nma
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »

If stalled for too long, the fuse may blow.  I had problems with the supplied 1A fuse blowing upon reaching the ends, and had to go to a higher value.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »

Is the motor/coil at the end of its travel? Reversing polarity will drive it back the other way.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 09:00:13 PM »

It is part way down the coil.  The fuse is good.
G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:36 AM »

Not sure how the Tarheel stops the ingress of moisture, and maybe this is completely unrelated.

I have a High Sierra Sidekick screwdriver which I used for a good couple of years, permanently attached to the roof of my car, and small amounts of water passed under the whip attaching point and travelled down the screw thread, during the winter this would sometimes freeze and stop the antenna turning, however over time this water entered the motor and gearbox, eventually making the lot seize. I stripped the antenna down, and becuase I'm a cheap SOB, I took the motor and gearbox apart and cleaned everything up, re-lubed the lot and reinstalled like new. A friend of mine had the same problem (same antenna) but bought a new gearbox and motor.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 06:28:11 AM »

I have a model 100 ground mounted outside my apartment.   I went to install a n Amertion  SDC-102 controller. The antenna will not move.  I switched back to the manual switch and it does not move the antenna.  Any Suggestions?

Randy ka4nma

Check the power supply fuse...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N7TEE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »

Randy,

With the SDC-102 you may have the same problem that I had.  That is that the motor got fried because of the tuner.  Sent it back to Tarheel and got it repaired.  Changed the tuner to the "turbo tuner" and no problems since then.

Dave
N7TEE
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »

I am fixing to send it back to Tarheel.  How did the SDC-102 fry your antenna? 

Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: