Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2M antenna with 3/8-24 threaded base  (Read 11414 times)
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »

I also have a 2m co-linear with 3/8-24 thread. I picked it up at a ham fest back in the 70s. works fine at the bumper mount even better on the rear deck. but its about 6 feet long. The swr was good and as an odd quirk would work on 11 meters. I was told that when I bought it at the ham fest. Strangely it worked on 11m. Still have it, have not used it in years. but its a different antenna. I don't even remember what brand it is, Cushcraft or Hustler?  Now I have NMO or 5mm mounts that I cobble together.

Tom Kb3hg
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:10:18 AM »

At HF or 6m, few hams use mobile antennas that are much longer than about 1/4 wavelength,
and you can match that with ...
But hams DO use half wave, or 2 x 5/8 wave antennas, or many other designs, on VHF/UHF,
and that is where the NMO makes these possible because it provides a ground connection
for the required matching networks.

OK, I've got your point; I've been misunderstanding what you were getting at.  Sorry!

You're right, I've never bothered with anything other than a simple quarter-wave for VHF or UHF. 
KC9Q

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 04:26:43 AM »

If you don't care about antenna gain, then you can use a 1/4 wave 2M whip.  A 1/4 wave at 2M is about a 3/4 wave at UHF which will give you dual band operation.  Similar principal as a 5/8 wave (3 dB) 2M whip can also be used as a 1/4 wave whip for 6M.
KJ4YOJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 05:12:18 PM »

I use a Hustler SF-2.  It's cheap, but it requires tuning.  It works great on 2M, and I even tuned it up on 10M once and worked Canada with it (from Nashville, TN)  http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/1999.html

Paul KJ4YOJ
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:11:02 PM »

Firestik makes both quarter wave and five-eighths wave fiberglass whips. They look just like their 11m antennas. I have been looking at them for the 2m in my Jeep. I abuse it at least monthly so I want something simple and robust. Granted it is just a 2m not dual band. The quarter wave with a stainless spring and ball mount is what I will probably use. and it will match the 11m that way.

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 06:25:23 AM »

If you don't care about antenna gain, then you can use a 1/4 wave 2M whip.

The difference in gain of any mobile vertical antenna over another is so low as to make it almost worthless installing them over a simple 1/4 wave antenna. Because we mostly use repeaters on VHF/UHF mobile the elevation pattern of a 5/8 wave or longer is actually detrimental in a lot of areas.

Certainly my own extensive A/B testing between a 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave monoband 2m antenna has found no discernable difference to a repeater up to a distance of 55 miles away either on the S meter or RX audio strength and I've talked through that repeater with the 1/4 wave with just 10W. Simplex on flat land I've not noticed any difference over a 25 mile distance.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »

How does an antenna affect received audio strength on a FM receiver with a limiter.  Once you hit full quieting
you can quintuple the signal level and not notice a difference.  Good Fm receivers will mantain audio level until just before the squelch closes on a weak signal. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: