Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Lidomounts Experience  (Read 3593 times)
KD2UJ

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »

Just as many others have, I wished I had checked here before ordering from this Lidomounts company(?) or whatever it is. But I did order. He charged my credit card on 12/26/2012. The items ordered arrived about 2 weeks later. I'm sure I sent half a dozen emails before, during, and after the process. Not one was answered.

My first issue (other than the long lag time) was how to mount a TM-V71A to the seat bolt mount. The web site seems to imply that you will receive something specific to the radio you specify. Never one to discount dumb luck, I "discovered" a YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYnZGZ9eHyQ) on how to attach this style Kenwood to the mount. Problem 1 solved.

The next problem was that the 4-hole AMPS plate holding the radio head didn't attach very securely to the mount column. The two parts slid pretty freely and I had visions of a radio head flying into the back seat or worse. I contacted Lido (hah!) and got the expected response: nothing.

So, looking around on the web, I found the company that appears to be the main distributor of this stuff. What Lido calls an LM-300, Arkon Resources, Inc. (http://www.arkon.com) calls a GN088-SBH. The 4-hole AMPS plate is an AP015. (BTW, I didn't misspell the company name, it's Arkon not Akron.) I decided to drop them a line saying that, although I didn't buy the GN088-SBH/AR015 from them, I needed some help. Almost before I hit the send button, Aaron Roth, VP, Marketing & Sales, responded. He said (paraphrasing here), that he went to the warehouse and tried to replicate my problem. When he couldn't, he assumed that the ones I had were just too loose and sent me an AP015 (AMPS plate) and dual t-tab adapter head. That was on January 14th. The parts arrived on January 18th, no questions, no charge.

I strongly recommend that, in looking for mobile mounting items, you check Arkon. The kind of customer service they provide is nothing short of amazing. Thank you very much, Aaron!

Bob -- KD2UJ

W1BTM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »

Great find. I'm over two weeks waiting for a reply from Lido Mounts now regarding an order. I ordered the LM-AD1 from HRO and was surprised to find the dual-T connector on the back. It all makes sense after seeing the Arkon catalog, from whom I have ordered the part I need. If this continues I work with my bank to cancel the Lidomounts order and get the parts I ordered from them elsewhere.

The Lidomount LM-AD1 for my Yaesu FTM-350AR is really just these Arkon parts:
* AP2T17MM - Dual T-Slot to 17mm Ball Adapter
* SP-SB-RING - Swivel Tightening Ring for 17mm Ball Heads
* 2x SP-1420CAM - 17mm Ball to 1/4"-20 Camera Bolt Pattern
* M5x15 flat head bolt

The LM-AD1 includes two of the SP-1420CAM, the second one has the 1/4-20 bolt removed and it is replaced with what I think is an M5x15 for the Yaesu head.

If you want to mount the LM-AD1/AP2T17MM to an AMPS plate, such as what you get from Pro-fit International as a vehicle specific mount (VSM) then you need Arkon part AP032SM or AP032 or AP032-VSM. The second two are supposed to have an extra hole on each side, making them a little wider. The AP032-VSM is the one I found on their web site for sale.

Bryan -- W1BTM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: