Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inexpensive Radio with twin-passband tuning?  (Read 1733 times)
N5KNG

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »

Hello All,

For better or worse, I've come to favor Icom radios because most of them offer twin-passband tuning.  This allows me to narrow the passband quickly and easily.  I am thinking about buying a secondary radio (my primary is an Elecraft K3) for casual operating, and the Icom 7200 seems to be the least expensive newer radio that offers this function.  But maybe there are some older, less expensive radios that do that as well?  I think pretty much any radio (of any age) that has this function will be sensitive and selective enough for me - but I want the function right on the front panel, where I can get to it directly - not by using menus.

I've owned an IC-756 (non-pro) and IC-746 pro.  Never had a display problems, but to be honest, I always lived in fear of the display going bad.

So, what is the least expensive older Icom you'd recommend that has twin-passband tuning on the front panel?  I think there are some Kenwoods that have an equivalent function - and these would be fine as well.  As to Yaesu, I don't know if any of them can narrow the passband, unless it is one of the newer digital models.  Looking to spend well under $1000, and preferably, a lot less.  Smaller size is nice, but not necessary.

What do you say?
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:29:01 PM »

IC 746 and 756 series....
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »

"Twin-passband tuning" requires a rig with IF DSP, and fully-configurable IF DSP filtering.  Hence, not an old rig, and not an inexpensive rig.

The IC-7000 (I think) has TPBT.   You could probably pick one up used for under $1000.  

Among Yaesu transceivers, the FT-450 / FT-450D have fixed-width IF DSP filters; they won't do TPBT.  The FT-950 will, I think, but it's pushing your budget.

If you wanted a receiver only, the Flex QRP rig would be well within budget, if you have a computer which will handle it.

.           charles
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »

The 7200 has a great receiver with twin passband tuning and 3 crystal positions as standard. No other filters needed. I know because I have owned one for two and 1/2 years. It lacks some other extras like two antenna connections, a tuner, and FM but will give the big Icoms a run for the money on receive and transmit from what I have read. It is an entry level radio but a great value for the money.
The DSP and pass band tuning are good performers if you are looking for  reasonable cost. It is a small radio.

Frank
NM8D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:35:16 AM »

Icom 718 around $500

Michael
nm8d
N5KNG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »

Thanks to all of you for the replies.  It looks like the only real candidates (for something less costly than the IC-7200) are the IC-746PRO and the 756 radios, each of which I've owned in the past.  They were both great radios for me, and other than worrying about the display, would have been keepers.  I was just wondering if there were any other radios out there that I didn't know about.

But perhaps I am asking the wrong question.  Maybe what I really am looking for is something with an adjustable passband width, and center frequency.  It could be that simple, or a bit fancier: something that has independently adjustable low-cut and high-cut frequencies, along with a center frequency shift.  Does that open up any new options?  I'm pretty sure some older Kenwoods have the simpler option - but I don't know which ones.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »

Kenwood TS850!
N5KNG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »

AF5C - The TS-850 is a great suggestion!  I looked up the instruction manual and I think the SLOPE TUNE control will do the job.  Do you know of other less-expensive Kenwoods that have the slope tune capability?
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »

Kenwood 930/940/830/850/870/570/590/2000

Kenwood started the concept in the early 80's. Icom copied it in the 751 and then had to remove it because of legal issues which were later straightened out. I don't know when Yaesu added it.

Clif
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 07:06:40 AM »

I think this feature is called HI-Cut/LO-Cut on other brands and is available on Kenwood TS-570 series, Elecraft K3, KX3, and many other modern rigs.  But not on ICOM 718, or any of the 706 series.

...bill  nr4c
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:36 AM »

The cheapest Kenwoods I've seen with twin band pass tuning in the IF stage are the TS-930 and TS-850. The TS-570 variable band pass is a DSP AF filter.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »

The TS-570 variable band pass is a DSP AF filter.

And IF bandpass shift and support for optional xtal filters too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »

"Twin-passband tuning" requires a rig with IF DSP, and fully-configurable IF DSP filtering.  Hence, not an old rig, and not an inexpensive rig.

That simply isn't true.  "Twin Passband Tuning" has been around in Icom transceivers at least since the IC-781 and that predates DSP by quite a bit.

73, K8AC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: