Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot get Wouxun UV6D to connect via USB to Win 7  (Read 3136 times)
WW7S

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »

Hi all,

I just got one of the Wouxon UV6D radios and for whatever reason I cannot get it to connect to my Win 7  64 computers with the USB programming cable!

I installed the Win7 driver from the mini-CD and then plugged the radio into a USB port. Win 7  64 apparently didn't know or care that I had installed a USB driver and went out and found its own driver via Windows Update, but then it said install failed (error 10, device cannot start). This was both on my Win 7 64 desktop and Win 7 64 laptop.

Rebooting did not help either.

Any comments or help on what I might be doing wrong??

Thanks!

Ted
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:36:17 PM »

It might be worth trying to install the supplied driver rather than the one that Windows Update found. I bought a cheap USB interface cable from Hong Kong for my Quansheng radio and the USB driver supplied on the mini-CD worked perfectly under Windows 7 64-bit. I didn't try the actual programming software on the mini-CD as there was a more up-to-date one to download.

Although it's unlikely your interface is the same, you can download the driver software that came with mine if you want to try it:

http://www.classicsstv.com/temp/win7.zip
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:17 AM »

If you can program your radio on a computer that has a system prior to windows 7, it will be a breeze. Windows 7 is the biggest pain I have ever had when it has come to programming any radio. Getting the drivers on the computer seems to be the biggest problem. Everyone has problems with Windows 7, it's just the way it is. The windows updates also have something to do with the problems. I'm no computer expert, but 7 sucks.
Beg or borrow a computer prior to the Win 7 and it will be a breeze, better yet, buy an earlier used one as I did so you never have to bother with windows 7 again. It was worth every dime and you can find one cheap.

John
WW7S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »

Still no luck getting the radio to communicate with the computer! I deleted the OEM driver, rebooted, and then re-installed the OEM driver as per instructions. Then as soon as I plugged in the USB cable Win 7 wanted to install its own driver, so I canceled that and tried to install the OEm driver, but again the same error....Device cannot start (error 10). So I guess I give up at this point and I'll learn to program via keystrokes  Smiley

I do have an old XP laptop around here somewhere....I'll give that a try after I get over my frustration  Shocked  Cry

Ted
WW7S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »

Something even more strange - even though the driver in the install package is labeled version 1.4.17, Windows says that it is version 3.3.17.203. Still will not start....I did find a different version of the install instructions and one step it says is to "start cable", then connect and turn on radio.....question is, of course, is how does one 'start the cable' HuhHuh?

Thanks again for any help!!

Ted
WW7S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »

Another update....it does not work on an XP computer either  Cry. At least the driver installs just fine, and Win XP says device is working properly, but as usual none of the software programs can communicate with the radio. Not found, etc.

I am beginning to think that the cable is bad, but I have no way to test it nor do I have another programming cable that will work with the UV-6D.

Any more thoughts, ideas, etc.?

Ted
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:48:56 PM »

These radios are similar in their behavior. I recommend you read through this: http://uv5r.99k.org/
You'll find the same problems with USB driver and connecting to the radio. Sometimes it is just a little extra push to get the plugs to connect.
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »

Many of the cables have counterfit chips in them. Buy a good Kenwood cable, they fit the same and the chip works.

John
WW7S

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 08:39:28 AM »

Got it to work! Thanks to the info from KA4POL I found a page at Powerwerx with detailed step by step instructions on how to deal with it. As mentioned, apparently the driver chips are bogus, and the Powerwerx drivers are older ones that don't check the chips for authenticity, and then you get Win 7 to not auto update the Prolific driver.

As I understand it, this is only for the 64 bit versions of Win 7 and Vista!

Thanks again for the replies and comments...

Ted

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: