Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXCC Sleuth => YV0 - Aves Island (and a message about these eHam posts)  (Read 2462 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »

I am now in high gear with this blog and will most likely write one a day - or at least try to. I still have more than 350 to write - so I am going to try to get these done by the time the Heard Island 2014 DX-pedition sets sail . . . .

So that I don't "pollute" eHam with too many of these announcements, I ask that you connect with me on Twitter @KY6R so that you will know when I post these, or, more simply, just check out this URL every now and then - and post your comments on the blog that you like / dislike:

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/

Here is my last eHam post regarding the DXCC Sleuth:

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/yv0-aves-island/

I plan on covering EVERY entity that has ever been on the list, and when I get to the really "old ones" that have been deleted for some time, I will drive over the hill to Berkeley and visit the W6CF DX "library". It is located in a very cool old AM radio station - KRE:

http://www.californiahistoricalradio.com/

I have been granted permission to read through old DXCC notes and note books by Jim Maxwell - whom I never met but heard was an amazing fellow and DX-er.

I can't wait - I have just wanted to get DXCC Honor Roll out of the way before I can start "working the DXCC Sleuth DX!".

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:35:22 AM by KY6R » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »

I'm not sure you can pollute the DX Forum with too much info about DX.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »

I'm not sure you can pollute the DX Forum with too much info about DX.

No, but one or more articles in a day or two is a lot of information in a short time. I liked it better when The Sleuth appeared weekly.

Chris/NU1O
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »

Sorry
I don't mess with twitter or facebook or any of the
other silly websites of that nature.

I'll miss the info.

As someone else said, I can never get enough info
on DX, whether it is past operations, info about the entity itself,
details as to why or why not it is "activatable" (I know, no such word)
terrain, conditions etc.

imho
a big loss.

I remember the YX0LIX activation very well.
It was a sad loss of who I learned was a great DXPeditioner.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:04:05 PM by KB3LIX » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »

Sorry
I don't mess with twitter or facebook or any of the
other silly websites of that nature.

I'll miss the info.

As someone else said, I can never get enough info
on DX, whether it is past operations, info about the entity itself,
details as to why or why not it is "activatable" (I know, no such word)
terrain, conditions etc.

imho
a big loss.

I remember the YX0LIX activation very well.
It was a sad loss of who I learned was a great DXPeditioner.

Here is a "happy medium"

I will post one reminder a week to go check out the blog - that there are new articles posted there.

Rich
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:54:13 PM »

One of my DX triumphs was working YX0A right after they went QRV.  I think I was the 2 or 3rd station thru. Heard them calling CQ, answered them, and see from the details on the QSL that I caught them 2 minutes after their activation began. Wish I could do that for P5.

John AF5CC
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »

I have not understood why an operation from the platform has counted (referring to one of the more recent operations in which one of the operating positions...maybe it 15M...was on the platform). Anyone know the rational for that?

N9ZMO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »

I don't tweet nor do I facebook.  Don't like the lack of controls those programs have.

Perhaps you could add an option to your wordpress blog software to allow us to sign up for an RSS feed or notification.  I have that on one of mine and it does work well. Easy plugin to add from the backend.

Keep the info flowin'

73, Kurt
N9ZMO
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »

I don't tweet nor do I facebook.  Don't like the lack of controls those programs have.

Perhaps you could add an option to your wordpress blog software to allow us to sign up for an RSS feed or notification.  I have that on one of mine and it does work well. Easy plugin to add from the backend.

Keep the info flowin'

73, Kurt
N9ZMO

Great idea - Kurt - I'll add the RSS feed plugin, and will also announce here once a week - regardless of how many I actually write in a week.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »

Great idea - Kurt - I'll add the RSS feed plugin, and will also announce here once a week - regardless of how many I actually write in a week.

You can already get the RSS feed at http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/feed/
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »

You can already get the RSS feed at http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/feed/

Works great!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »

I am now in high gear with this blog and will most likely write one a day - or at least try to. I still have more than 350 to write - so I am going to try to get these done by the time the Heard Island 2014 DX-pedition sets

Rich,

I just reread this message and see you plan to write a piece on every current DCXX entity and some deleted ones.

Is there really a need for an article about every DXCC entity which ever existed?  I don't see the need for articles about well known countries which have had fairly large amateur populations since the 1920's. That would eliminate articles on many European countries, the big South American countries, and some in Asia.

My suggestion is to confine the work to the top 100 or so most wanted entities and perhaps the deleted list. You could go into when and why an entity was deleted.

This would give you the benefit of more time to concentrate on fewer, but rarer subjects.

Chris/NU1O

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 03:24:45 AM »

I am now in high gear with this blog and will most likely write one a day - or at least try to. I still have more than 350 to write - so I am going to try to get these done by the time the Heard Island 2014 DX-pedition sets

Rich,

I just reread this message and see you plan to write a piece on every current DCXX entity and some deleted ones.

Is there really a need for an article about every DXCC entity which ever existed?  I don't see the need for articles about well known countries which have had fairly large amateur populations since the 1920's. That would eliminate articles on many European countries, the big South American countries, and some in Asia.

My suggestion is to confine the work to the top 100 or so most wanted entities and perhaps the deleted list. You could go into when and why an entity was deleted.

This would give you the benefit of more time to concentrate on fewer, but rarer subjects.

Chris/NU1O

Good point. I will certainly concentrate on all of the rare active ones first - and then see if it makes sense to continue with the Deleted's.

I have an affinity for the stories of old entities like "Walvis Bay", but yes, these types of entities are "ancient history" now.
N9ZMO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

Keep the info flowin'

73, Kurt
N9ZMO

I've signed up for the RSS feed.  Would you mind if I linked to your blog from our clubs website?  I'd like to get this passed along to our group.

73, Kurt
N9ZMO
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:07:35 PM »

Keep the info flowin'

73, Kurt
N9ZMO

I've signed up for the RSS feed.  Would you mind if I linked to your blog from our clubs website?  I'd like to get this passed along to our group.

73, Kurt
N9ZMO

Please do - you can even take any article and re-publish them in your clubs newletter - all you have to do is mention my call as the author.

Have fun!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: