Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought a Junker DGBM key  (Read 2009 times)
N4WVE

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »

I just purchased an original Junker DGBM key from a ham in Germany. It has a strange leg holder accessory. The key is from 1939 and has documents. I was told this is a pretty good straight key, but I want some seasoned opinions. I paid about a hundred bucks. I like straight keys better than paddles. Been a ham for 20 years but just now getting serious about CW. Is this a good key or did I waste my money?

Greg N4WVE
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:36:17 PM by N4WVE » Logged

Greg N4WVE
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

You bought a piece of history.  It's very well made.  It will last you the rest of your life. 

If you like it, don't ask if you "wasted your money!"
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »

I had previously purchased a Marconi 365Z, which for some comes as close to the "holy grail" as it gets (maybe the Amplidian?).

That said, when I got my hands on my Junker I found my straight key Nirvana.  Can't beat those Germans for precision.

Love my Junker! 

Bill in Pasadena
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:02:57 AM »

I've been using my Junker for about 40 years, I've tried all sorts of other keys but still go back to the old Junker, it's so precise it is a pleasure to use.
AE5KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:37:39 AM »

Great Key! Maybe not so pretty but I go back and forth between that and my Navy Flameproof. Love them both.
N4WVE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »

Thanks guys! Sounds like I made a good choice!

Greg N4WVE
GM0WEZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:24:04 AM »

If it's marked DBGM, then I think it is post war. Wartime models were marked DRP (Deutsch Reichspatent). There is very little difference between the wartime and post-war models however.

Great keys, the Junkers. Used professionally by the German military and also in the maritime radio service.

I note a lot of US hams, who've presumably grown up with J-37s, really take to the Junker. many British hams, having grown up with heavy brass GPO and Kent keys like something heavier.

But there is no doubt the Junker is one of the best keys you can get.

Lately I've got into long lever keys (eg Amplidan, Swedish, NATO/Admirality, Marconi PS213, Hi-Mound HK802) and I really rate them. But apart from the NATO they are very expensive, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with your Junker.

KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »

The leg strap was very common during WWII.  Aircraft pilots/radio operators as well as those in mobile ground forces used them.  Think about it, if you need to send a message and you are bouncing around in a tank a plain old key wouldn't work well....  The US military used leg straps with Lionel J-38s too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: