About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuba  (Read 1767 times)
K2JF

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:18:32 AM »

I posted this in the DX forum as well. I'm going to Cuba in a few weeks with an art group and am intending to bring an Elecraft KX1 to operate while there. Is anyone aware of any restrictions I would have to deal with?
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »

http://www.arrl.org/select-countries-a-d

Scroll down to Cuba and follow the suggestions there.  I don't know if you have to be an ARRL member to open the link.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »

There is such a thing as an International Amateur Radio Permit for the Central and South Americas, but I don't think the U.S. permits reciprocal operating with Cuba...unless, however, you're going to the Guantanamo Bay Naval Station. It's U.S. territory, but you may need permission from the installation commander before keying up a transmitter, and paperwork may take a while to complete. GL
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »

A few thoughts on operating from foreign countries:  Do it right or don't do it. 

Keep in mind that you have to get the gear through Customs before you operate it.  Even if you have legal authority to operate in a country it doesn't mean that you have legal authority to bring equipment into the country.  The Cubans have been making an example of one Alan Gross (read the news).  You will be an American in a country whose government has not had favorable relations with the U.S. in many decades.  Carrying anything electronic (even an SLR, for example) besides the usual small gadgets will make you doubly suspicious. 

You could try writing the radio club listed on the ARRL site.  But, my candid opinion is that you're crazy to plan this just "a few weeks" in advance.  Leave the radio at home and enjoy visiting Cuba. 

As an aside, the IARP looks homemade.  I've heard of them producing a dubious look from Customs officers in at least one Latin American country.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:32:54 PM »

As has been said, what happened to Mr. Gross could happen to anyone taking communications gear into Cuba.  Not worth the risk, IMO.  What might be termed "permission" could be easily revoked or claimed to be invalid when entering the country.

Too easy to be accused of being an agent and be stuck there rolling cigars for 20 years.
K2JF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »

thanks for the giving me the best advice I could get - I ain't bringin' nuthin' there. I wanna come home after a week.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

A wise decision. 

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

There is a lot of planning to operate overseas, and two weeks is not enough time to do it.  You are not in the "states" no more!  Leave the radio at home this time and enjoy the trip!
73s.

-Mike.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »

As has been said, what happened to Mr. Gross could happen to anyone taking communications gear into Cuba.  Not worth the risk, IMO.  What might be termed "permission" could be easily revoked or claimed to be invalid when entering the country.

Too easy to be accused of being an agent and be stuck there rolling cigars for 20 years.

Then again, Mr. Gross was indeed probably working as a spook under flimsy cover, distributing sat phones and devices which mask their location to Cuban sayanim.

I think if you make the proper contacts, and maybe get a letter OKing everything from the Cuban authorities, you will probably be just fine.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 04:49:59 AM »

I posted this in the DX forum as well. I'm going to Cuba in a few weeks with an art group and am intending to bring an Elecraft KX1 to operate while there. Is anyone aware of any restrictions I would have to deal with?

Your biggest problem is that it is not rare. No one is going to be jumping thru hoops to contact you. If that is OK with you, then just enjoy the trip and and the DXing.
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »

In Flordia you can hear the Cuban hams all the time.  They will walk all over you.  We just ignore them and if we have to move to a different frenquency we do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: