Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring back the Advanced Class  (Read 49889 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »

I will not upgrade until the 20 wpm CW is put back in with the Extra.

Don't get in a big rush, we will not miss you.  Cheesy

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »

Ok so I still have my Advanced, does it give me anything more today than a General?  Been inactive for a few years...   WB0UPD  Bill

You get some additional phone frequencies on 75, 20, and 15 meters:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

in addition to 80, 20, and 15 -- you get additional phone privileges on 40 too (7.125 - 7.175)
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »

It's 2013, why are we having this discussion?
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »

It's 2013, why are we having this discussion?

Because history is important.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2013, 07:07:05 AM »

When I sat for my extra exam they asked questions about digital, SSTV and other modes.  I intent was to show competence in all aspects of amateur radio.  The one mode that is not currently tested is the CW mode.  Those who want full privileges in the lower cw segments should show competency in cw just like the test requires knowledge of TV and digital modes.  This is the essence of the Amateur Extra Class.  The Advanced Class should be available to any ham who wants full phone privileges without the need to learn cw.
Bill, wv1n

I'd be good if more hams actually knew the electronics.

WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2013, 11:21:11 PM »

I'd like the Novice license back also.
I'm a 2 year Extra no code ham.
I'm learning CW and it would be nice to have a bunch
of slow people like me out there practicing.

There are still a number of Novices licensed (its not like they are gone totally)..Go operate CW in the Novice/Tech (remember, they have CW subbands on HF shared with Novices) subbands and you'll find folks there to help you improve your speed, etc.

Chris
WB5ITT
former WN5ITT
Licensed 40yrs as of 2/13/13
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2013, 04:49:04 AM »

When I sat for my extra exam they asked questions about digital, SSTV and other modes.  I intent was to show competence in all aspects of amateur radio.  The one mode that is not currently tested is the CW mode.  Those who want full privileges in the lower cw segments should show competency in cw just like the test requires knowledge of TV and digital modes.  This is the essence of the Amateur Extra Class.  The Advanced Class should be available to any ham who wants full phone privileges without the need to learn cw.
I'd be good if more hams actually knew the electronics.

You mean as opposed to just memorizing the answers?  Yes, I fully agree with that.  

To put CW on par with the other modes, however, all that is required is to include questions about how the mode is used--not to actually test the competency of sending/receiving the mode.  If we were to go back to that, it's should be fully expected to have to demonstrate competency in actual use of the other modes as well, not just answering a few questions about how to set up for and use those modes.  And that is one thing that was never, ever done.  

In that manner, it can be argued that CW was the only mode whose actual use was actually tested--which is one reason that it was removed from the requirements of the exams needed for any class of license.
K1AVE

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2013, 05:07:34 AM »

The requirement is Morse Code - not "CW"
Gene
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »

I'm glad I learned Morse Code and took the 5 wpm test just months before the requirement was dropped. My motive for learning it was because of the interesting history of Morse Code, and how different services have used it. I also wanted to be able to say that I tested for it, even though just 5 wpm. The VE's told me I was wasting my time and money, but it was something I wanted to do for myself.

I really don't see the need for a Morse Code requirement, but I think all new hams should be encouraged to learn it. The mode is definitely a corner stone of ham radio history, and I have a deep respect for those who had to learn the code at 20 wpm in order to upgrade their license.
I can't blame the current Advanced Class holders for not wanting to upgrade, but I think they should. I would keep that Advanced Class ticket, framed, and on the wall, right next to the Extra.

I am definitely a "slow code" op, and I don't use the mode all that often, but I do occasionally. I believe that a ham radio op should never be judged on his code speed/proficiency. In the past, that has been a problem, and only serves to discourage others from entering the hobby.

my 2 cents,

Dave
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2013, 05:05:58 AM »

The requirement is Morse Code - not "CW"

True, but the mode is CW.  Yes, I slipped by saying the requirement was removed, but most knew what was being said.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2013, 06:05:48 AM »

CW is alive and well regardless of the NO code requirement,kits are being sold ,hombrewing still being performed and push button appliance operators minted everyday in all license classes.Anyone who suggests that technical knowledge and operating ability are somehow related to any other class of license that needs only to be memorized to pass is only exposing his ignorance and egotistical frame of mind.   
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 04:21:43 PM »

Bring back the Advanced Class? (That was the original thread)

Where did it go?

You mean my ticket is invalid?

How many of us dinosaurs are left???
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »

Bring back the Advanced Class? (That was the original thread)

Where did it go?

You mean my ticket is invalid?

How many of us dinosaurs are left???

What was meant is that the license class should be reopened to new issues. Not gonna happen, though.

In April 2000 the FCC stopped issuing new Advanced licenses. Back then there were about 100,000 of them. Today there are about 55,000.

Wasn't the first time, either. At the end of 1952, FCC stopped issuing new Advanceds, but then reopened the class to new issues in 1967. In both cases, existing Advanceds could renew and modify their licenses just like any other.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N5OTH

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2013, 06:27:40 AM »

> Quote from: WA2OLZ on March 10, 2013, 04:21:43 PM
< Bring back the Advanced Class? (That was the original thread)
>
> Where did it go?
>
> You mean my ticket is invalid?
>
> How many of us dinosaurs are left???

I took the General written AND 13 WPM code test, then the Advanced written test...still an Advanced Class.  So I guess I am one of the dinosaurs,  Just don't see the advantage of EXTRA except for prestige.  Yes, I have looked at the test material and find my feeble grey matter doesn't comprehend it too well.

Dennis, N5OTH

BTW, been inactive for a few years too, ss would need to re-learn some of the Code.

Dennis, N5OTH
KB1SF

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2013, 04:54:42 PM »

I will not upgrade until the 20 wpm CW is put back in with the Extra.

I see the same "I'm-better-than-you-because-I-passed-a-Morse-test" curmudgeons are still beating their same old (now long since dead!) Morse code testing "horse".

Tell you what, David...if you're so absolutely adamant about showing completion of a stupid Morse test on your license, I suggest you start studying for the Canadian Basic exam (http://www.qsl.net/ve3sar/exams.htm).

Then, when your're ready, come on up to my QTH (50 miles NE of Detroit) and I'll administer both exams (the written and the 5 WPM Morse test) to you around my kitchen table.  Your Canadian Certificate will show successful completion of both...and you'd also have a Canadian call sign to boot.

The bottom line here is that the Morse test is history in the USA. And it's not coming back.

Get over it.

Keith
KB1SF / VA3KSF / VA3OB
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: