Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK now I got PLL unlock! TS-450S  (Read 1228 times)
KB0FSD

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »

Found a replacement display, waiting for it to get here. (See previous post)
Now I've got a PLL unlock condition on all bands! Was using it on 15 and 20 meters today, had it on for several hours with no problems, then took an hour break for lunch (left radio on) came back to dotts on the display, reset did not help!!!! At times it will come on but the vfo is confused, turn the knob and the freq changes but not the vfo, and no power output. Only sound you get is static with the sound of a distant station you just cannot tune in!
Memory battery is good!
Power supply tested and good!!!
We had no lightning or power surge!!!

Opened it up and checked connectors, loosened and retightend cuircut board screws, nothing helped!!

What do I do now??? My main and only rig so kind of bummed about it!!!
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:57:15 PM »

Sue, AF6LJ, a great technician has suggested (on QRZ) checking the 3 VCO's for correct voltage level (around 5v, as I recall).  They typically require just a tweek to the trim pots.  Just requires a DMM and screwdriver, as I recall.

The procedures are in the Service Manual.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:54:46 AM »

The TS450S was infamous for having the dry joint problems. I hand soldered my TS450S when I had it. If it just stopped suddenly thats probably what it is.
Kenwood technicians are well aware of this problem, the infamous Kenwood bad solder problem.

Found a replacement display, waiting for it to get here. (See previous post)
Now I've got a PLL unlock condition on all bands! Was using it on 15 and 20 meters today, had it on for several hours with no problems, then took an hour break for lunch (left radio on) came back to dotts on the display, reset did not help!!!! At times it will come on but the vfo is confused, turn the knob and the freq changes but not the vfo, and no power output. Only sound you get is static with the sound of a distant station you just cannot tune in!
Memory battery is good!
Power supply tested and good!!!
We had no lightning or power surge!!!

Opened it up and checked connectors, loosened and retightend cuircut board screws, nothing helped!!

What do I do now??? My main and only rig so kind of bummed about it!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: