Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammarlund HQ-170 Clock  (Read 5321 times)
KB3ZZP

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »

I am new to this site and ham radio in general.  I own a Hammarlund HQ-170 and was curious if anyone was aware of a place that I could buy a replacement clock.  I am aware of another Hammarlund with such a replacement clock that is battery powered, however the present owner bought it after the clock was changed out.  I fully understand that any such replacement clock will not turn on the radio as the original clock did, however I don't even keep power to this receiver unless I am going to use it.  Any info. is much appreciated.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:38:58 AM by WNEWBIE » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »

I have an HQ-180A and have been looking for a clock for more than 10 years.  I have never seen a clock sold separately, but I guess some have been.  There is no replacement clock except the one(s) you mentioned.  The only way to get an original working clock is to buy a parts radio that has a working clock or find somebody who is parting out a receiver.

Dick  AD4U
KB3ZZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:33:56 AM »

I have read enough threads on the internet about folks looking for clocks for these radios that you'd of thought some entrepreneur would have put together a replacement clock by now.  Guess not.  Thanks for the info.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »

that's a plain old Telechron clock, right?  a little oil on both motor bearings (Oilite) and on all of the shafts of any gearing  may do you wonders.  since the clocks were apparently custom-made for Hammarlund and have been Unobtainium for 30+ years, worth a shot.

you might find looking in the back of a vintage aka thriftshop clock radio of a US brand what looks like a similar clock.  there were several sizes of Telechron mechanisms, and the dial face was customizeable.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »

I don't think  that those old AM receivers have much resale or antique collectable value, so why not do a retrofit?

One non-destructive way is to remove the old clock and affix a modern LCD type that will cover the hole or make a baffle that will hold a smaller clock? I always thought that the clock made it look like a old kitchen stove anyway...

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »

Telechron Electric Clock for Hammerlund HQ series
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammarlund-Telechron-Electric-Clock-for-HQ-170-HQ-180-Receivers-VG-Works-/140890456478?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Receivers&hash=item20cdb9c19e

Hammerlund Parts
http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFShop.aspx?c=620524&sfid=86409&sid=201301221523540000000910270397

Hammerlund HQ-series battery operated clocks (2005) with the proper Hammarlund face.

Roberta Hummel, KA9OSA
202 Midvale Drive
Marshall, WI 53559-9616
(no email)

Clockparts.com (cat. # MVT7130A) movement $6.95
The hands were black, not perfect but OK (cat. # HND1213B, 1 inch long).
You have to modify Hammerlund clockface logo (BAMA) for 12 hour.
http://cart.clockparts.com/americanmademiniquartzmovements-p-685.html
===
Clock crystals (replacement)
Vacuum formed crystals (lenses), as of 2005.

E. C. (El) Spencer, W8VHF
2074 W Fountain Rd
Scottville, MI 49454
w8vhf@t-one.net

Mike Souhrada, WB9IOG
wb9iog@revealed.net
Has made replacement crystals in past (2005)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:29:44 PM by W9GB » Logged
KB3ZZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »

Wow... great info all.  Thanks!
KB3ZZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »

FYI - The email address for:

E. C. (El) Spencer, W8VHF
2074 W Fountain Rd
Scottville, MI 49454
w8vhf@t-one.net

came back as undeliverable. 
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »

that's a plain old Telechron clock, right?  a little oil on both motor bearings (Oilite) and on all of the shafts of any gearing  may do you wonders.  since the clocks were apparently custom-made for Hammarlund and have been Unobtainium for 30+ years, worth a shot.

you might find looking in the back of a vintage aka thriftshop clock radio of a US brand what looks like a similar clock.  there were several sizes of Telechron mechanisms, and the dial face was customizeable.

Listen to this good advice.  Unless the coil that drives the motor is shorted or open, which is actually super rare in my experience, a good cleaning and proper lubrication can often restore these old electromechanical gems to like new operation.  For another 30 years. 

Clock cleaning was at one time, a small business.  And it did not only include the older windup mechanisms.  Many a Telechron or Hammond or other branded synchronous motor driven electric clock was cleaned and lubed as a matter of maintenance routine and placed right back into service again. 

KB3ZZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »

The clock may well be salvageable.  If I can tract down a crystal from the info. above, I'll be back in business.  Thanks.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »

For additional information on Telchron clocks, this is good web site:
http://telechron.net/main.htm

Good discussion of replacement Telechron rotors (B, H, S), and where to get them:
http://telechron.net/features/faq.html

His new e-mail was at QRZ

W8VHF
ELMER C SPENCER
6144 W Dewey Rd
Ludington, MI 49431
w8vhf2 at gmail dot com
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:55:25 PM by W9GB » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »

GE Telechron clocks are fairly common in thrift shops and they used the same motor assembly in plenty of them... So maybe a couple of bucks for an older analog GE clock radio can become a rebuild kit. As for a quartz clock movement with matching hands, you can find plenty of those in thrift shops as well. Usually for a buck or two, just keep both eyes open and think like you're at a swapmeet.

With a little luck you could use a pair of silicon diodes (1N4001 type) in series as a 1.4 volt Zener substitute and power it from a junkbox transformer so the clock is independent of the power switch.

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: