Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Me With Antenna Decision  (Read 2656 times)
WA6LGS

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

Oh, no!  Not another post seeking antenna advise...

I'm in a new house and would like to get some input about a permanent antenna.  I'm in a fair sized house, but with a prettly small back yard, about 30' x 20' of grass surrounded by patio/single story wood siding house on 2 sides and planting beds and large hedge on the other sides.  No trees to hang anything from.  I put up a 40M "L" vertical with a single tuned radial running along the top of the wooden fence for a quick and dirty tempy antenna.  Now it is time for something better.

I have a chimney with wood siding surround that is about 16' high on which I can mount a TV mast to get up to about 27' unguyed.  This could support a DX-EE shortened 40/20/15/10M parallel dipole.  Not really any room for a full length wire antenna.  My other option is a 4BTV trapped vertical in the middle of the lawn which I would use with a 30' x 20' cross of 3' wide welded, galvanized wire fencing at the base of the antenna for a ground screen.

I'm going to install one or the other this coming week.  If you could only install one or the other, which would you recommend for a general purpose antenna for casual use, mostly CW?  Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Greg
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:51 PM »

Why not both?  Neither you propose are particularly complex or expensive projects.  More antennas translates into more options for different operating conditions.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »

If you are primarily interested in casual operation, then I vote for the DX-EE at 27'.  You may even hear some decent DX with this antenna, especially on 10M and maybe on 15M where the height is sufficient to radiate some low angled signals.  The other option is a trap dipole: either from a manufacturer or make-your-own for your favorite 3 or 4 bands (see Unadilla).  Use good coax (LMR400 is my choice).  GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »

Is your chimney mast any where centrally located on your lot? At 27 ft. any possibility for an inverted V?
WA6LGS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »

The chimney is not really centrally located.  I would have to mount the DX-EE as an inverted vee at about 120* angle horizontally (rather than the legs in a straight line) with tie off points for each leg about 20-25 feet away from the center and 8-9' high.  Great comments so far, please keep them coming.

Greg
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »

Greg, either one (as I"m sure you know) would be a good choice, depending on what you want to do with it.  If I were going to have only one or the other, I might be tempted to put up a Hustler vertical on that chimney, with elevated radials.  But a dipole is never a bad choice, either.

Either way, you're in for fun--GL 73!  :-)  --ken ac4rd
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »

The DX-EE as a inverted Vee with a 120 spread should work nicely - and won't draw much attention from neighbors.
Give that a try first!
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »

I switch between my 135' doublet and my R-8 vertical a lot and most of the time for DX the vertical is better. Sometimes a lot better.

No question though, for 40 and 80 meters, the wire almost always is better.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

You still have lots of options.  You could put up a fan dipole for multiple bands in an inverted V with a single post in the middle of the yard, Or  perhaps a Gap Voyager or titan in the yard, you could even mount a small beam on the chimmibly with a push up mast and a rotor like a MA5b, a small but effective antenna,

For DX the vertical is probably better  because of the lower take off angle, and the wire is probably better for closer in, domestic work, more of an omnidirectional  inverted v shape, or you could google  home brew antennas and see what you have.  any way you go, get er done and have fun. 

(you could even put up a guyed 40 or 50 foot rhon 25 tower with a nice steppir beam on it , or a steppir vert would also be nice.
WA6LGS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  I guess I'll put up the DX-EE first and maybe try the 4BTV in my small yard at a later date.  As far as putting the dipole up on the chimney, do you think I could attach the tv mast stand off brackets directly to the wood siding of my chimney surround?  They would be spaced about 4' apart vertically and there would be about 11' feet of tv mast above the top standoff.  The other option is to lag bolt some 2x4's between studs and then attach the standoff bracket to those.

Thanks.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »

Do you have CC7R's?
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:03 AM »

Look for an antenna design by G3LDO called a Skeleton Slot antenna. Theres details in the RSGB handbook and the some ARRL antenna compendiums.
 It covers 20 through to 10 meters and is fed with 450OHM ladder line. It will tune 7mhz through to 30mhz. Its one of the most effective basic wire antennas that I have used for DX work.
You can mount it up on a push up fiberglass or TV mast. If you interested in working DX this is the antenna to go for.

Another good antenna is the Cob Web antenna. The homebrew version using normal wire will  also work well if you can get it up on a 30ft pole. You can mount this on a TV pushup mast to
at least 40 feet.

After these two antenna the hexbeam!

Oh, no!  Not another post seeking antenna advise...

I'm in a new house and would like to get some input about a permanent antenna.  I'm in a fair sized house, but with a prettly small back yard, about 30' x 20' of grass surrounded by patio/single story wood siding house on 2 sides and planting beds and large hedge on the other sides.  No trees to hang anything from.  I put up a 40M "L" vertical with a single tuned radial running along the top of the wooden fence for a quick and dirty tempy antenna.  Now it is time for something better.

I have a chimney with wood siding surround that is about 16' high on which I can mount a TV mast to get up to about 27' unguyed.  This could support a DX-EE shortened 40/20/15/10M parallel dipole.  Not really any room for a full length wire antenna.  My other option is a 4BTV trapped vertical in the middle of the lawn which I would use with a 30' x 20' cross of 3' wide welded, galvanized wire fencing at the base of the antenna for a ground screen.

I'm going to install one or the other this coming week.  If you could only install one or the other, which would you recommend for a general purpose antenna for casual use, mostly CW?  Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Greg
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »

Another vote for the G3TPW Cobbweb although I would build the G3TXQ variant as it is far easier to tune.

20-17-15-12-10m full size dipoles in a 8'x8' antenna.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »

Zenki beat me to the suggestion of a Cobbweb Antenna
They work very well.
Although, at only 27 feet high, DX will leave a lot to be desired.
WA6LGS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: