Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexradio FCC Certification for the 6000 Series? When?  (Read 9886 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20:19 AM »

But the widest view I ever find I want to display is the lower 60 KHz of the band.  Other than perhaps an indicator of general propagation conditions, how is the ability to show "huge swaths of spectrum" a plus for ham radio operation?  This inquiring ham wants to know. 

One of the biggest draws or attribute of SDR's are their spectrum displays. Take that away and the allure of a SDR rapidly fades. As more and more conventional (knobbed) radios include a spectrum Display the market share of Flexradio will diminish. As Zenki points out, Hams want knobs on hamradios. The advent of SDR's has made us want Spectrum displays too.

I have owned a Icom Pro II, Pro III and a Flex 5K all of which have nice displays. The one advantage of the Flex display was click and tune. Otherwise the Icom displays were entirely adequate.

Stan K9IUQ
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »

I really like using the Panafall display in PowerSDR with my Flex 1500. It's easy
to see other signals and adjusting filters while viewing(and hearing) the results
is pretty useful to me. Looking at the Waterfall part alone while adjusting the filter
I can narrow the filter to block almost all of another station that is close by without
the signal I want to hear distorting. Unless the other station is right on top of the
signal of interest, it is gone. None of my other radios can do that. With my TenTec Jupiter
I can vary the receive filtering pretty good. But, it still does not do as good as PowerSDR.
  I think being able to fine tune the filter's width like that is a plus.
I agree that if Flex were to put a front panel on the 6000 and it lived up to their hype for
the radio, it would be a killer rig. TenTec did it with the TenTec Pegasus and called it the Jupiter.
 And, like the Pegasus, the Jupiter can be computer controlled too.  
  I have never owned any of the PRO series of ICOM radios. But, have seriously thought about
a PRO III. (haven't had the opportunity to try one either) But, I have wondered if their spectrum
displays are that useful. I've not heard anyone say they can click & tune with a PRO series radio.
And if the spectrum display on it acts like the one on the 7000 where it sweeps up and down the band within presets, and the audio stutters while it is doing so, then I would think it would not
be very useful. I've never heard anyone complain about that with the PRO series radios, but, I sure have on the 7000. And the Jupiter has a Sweep function that can take a single snapshot of the band and give an idea of other signals. But, still not a true Spectrum display.
  james
WD5GWY  
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »

I've not heard anyone say they can click & tune with a PRO series radio.
And if the spectrum display on it acts like the one on the 7000 where it sweeps up and down the band within presets, and the audio stutters while it is doing so, then I would think it would not
be very useful.

I also own a Icom 7000, it is my vacation radio. The Pro II/III radios have a real time spectrum scope. The 7000 does not. The 7000 scope is not very useful, in fact until you mentioned it I forgot it had one.  Cheesy

The scopes in TenTec radios stink. I have operated a Orion II and when you turn the VFO knob the scope freezes. Icom Pro II/III/7600 scopes are useful but no point and click.

I sold my Pro III to help fund a Flex 5K. It was the biggest mistake I have made in 52 years of hamming. The Pro III was a great radio in all areas.

I owned the Pro II for about 5 years and my Pro III for 3 years. I owned the my Flex 5000 for 11 months. After that statement, Smart hams here will figure out what radios performed the best for me...

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:26:08 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »

I can narrow the filter to block almost all of another station that is close by without
the signal I want to hear distorting. Unless the other station is right on top of the
signal of interest, it is gone. None of my other radios can do that.

Your "other radios" must be pretty poor. Most late model radios will do just what you describe. Narrow the filter and block out other stations. My Kenwood TS-590 has a low/high knob. It is constantly variable to vary the width of the filter. It works every bit as well as the filters on the Flex 5K.

Many hams brag about the tight CW filtering on PSDR. My own experience was ho-hum, what is the big deal? Other radios I have owned do/did just as well. As an added bonus my other radios could actually work Real CW, unlike the Flex 5K which is limited to keyboard or macro CW.  Wink

Stan  K9IUQ
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:13:41 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »

signal of interest, it is gone. None of my other radios can do that.

Your "other radios" must be pretty poor. Most late model radios will do just what you describe. Narrow the filter and block out other stations. My Kenwood TS-590 has a low/high knob. It is constantly variable to vary the width of the filter. It works every bit as well as the filters on the Flex 5K.

Many hams brag about the tight CW filtering on PSDR. My own experience was ho-hum, what is the big deal? Other radios I have owned do/did just as well. As an added bonus my other radios could actually work Real CW, unlike the Flex 5K which is limited to keyboard or macro CW.  Wink

Stan  K9IUQ
Hmmmmmmm, you know something Stan? IF you READ the FINE Manual, you (meaning me in this case) might just find out some new fangled things that a radio can do!!  Roll Eyes
  Just did some READING of the manual for my 1000MP MKV and sure enough you can control the bandwidth of the EDSP (Electronic Digital Signal Processor) and knock out a lot of close by noise, and interference!! Same with the VBT on the Kenwood TS-830s!!!  Roll Eyes
 And I'm sure my other rigs have similar features!!! hahaha
 I'll go back under my rock now and hid!  Grin
james
WD5GWY
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »

The failings of the Flex for Stan's usage needs are well documented here and supported by others.  The notch filtering is probably the most significant change in PSDR since Stan owned one and I doubt would change his opinion of the flex rigs.

It's great to be enthusiastic about the rig one owns just so long as that person also respects the rights of others to not like it or like something else better.  That's how we all get along!

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »

It's great to be enthusiastic about the rig one owns just so long as that person also respects the rights of others to not like it or like something else better.  That's how we all get along!

And   that's how I roll !!  Grin Grin

james
WD5GWY
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »

The notch filtering is probably the most significant change in PSDR since Stan owned one and I doubt would change his opinion of the flex rigs.

Since I have not operated a Flexradio in well over a year I am not sure what changes have been made in PSDR. When I first got my Flex 5K,PSDR 1.xx was the release version.  PSDR 2.0 was still in beta. It was available for use however to everyone. There was no operational Notch filter either manual or auto. The NB did not work and the NR was subpar to other radios I had used. FM mode on 10 meters did not work. I thought the filtering was quite good but certainly not gee-whiz better than my other radios. I used mostly PSDR 2.xbeta as it had many more features than 1.xx..

Time usually helps all software and I would expect the PSDR of today to be improved over what I had to use.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:46:18 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »

The failings of the Flex for Stan's usage needs are well documented here and supported by others.  The notch filtering is probably the most significant change in PSDR since Stan owned one and I doubt would change his opinion of the flex rigs.

Everyone has right to their opinion and if you don't like something, you most certainly should get rid of it and get something you do like. That said, embarking on a perpetual smear campaign and vendetta towards the product for years after you get rid of it is pretty ridiculous. Thankfully there's an ignore button and I don't have to read the childish drivel of Stan and his cronies anymore except in the unfortunate instance when one of you quotes them. I must say though that I find it amazing that he is still here stuck on the same thing these last couple of years. I can't give him credit for much but he is persistent Roll Eyes that's for sure!
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »

Time usually helps all software and I would expect the PSDR of today to be improved over what I had to use.

Herein is the main problem I see of the Flex 6000 series. Flexradio is very slow in developing software. Very slow. It is a small company without a lot of software resource help.

I bought my Flexradio 2 years after it was released. One would think 2 years is long enough to get software into a reasonable usable state. One would be wrong.

Flexradio according to what I have read is developing new software called SmartSDR. If past Flexradio history is used as a benchmark the early adopters of SmartSdr are going to be very disappointed for years until the bugs get worked out.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »

Thankfully there's an ignore button and I don't have to read the childish drivel of Stan

I never use the Ignore button. I enjoy everyone's opinion and want to read opinions that differ from mine. Many times I learn useful information from hams that disagree with me.

Stan K9IUQ
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »

Knock yourself out searching, as you are looking for something not even required.  Heck maybe you'll find Elvis while you're doing useless searches?!

The Part 97 process won't list radios, as the manufacturer with their test labs are required to do the testings which are basically self-reported.

FlexRadio has done the CE portion in the past, which exceeds and covers any Part 15 concerns, but as an intentional emmiter falling under Part 97 they only have to meet Part 97 rules to be marketed in the USA.

In general never confuse the "absence of evidence" as the smoking gun for the "evidence of absence."  This seems to be an eHam SDR forum hobby to use flawed logic, ingoring logical fallacies, and making wild near conspiracy-theory claims.

More simply put, just because you didn't find what you wanted to find doesn't establish whether it is actually needed, whether your search can ever find it, and certainly doesn't establish the negative conclusion that something doesn't exist.

Back in July 2012 FlexRadio Systems had announced the new Flex-6700 series had passed the EMC and phase noise screening tests with a considerable performance margin for both.

As for when the final tests are done that is another troll's "red herring," in that until units are sold even the self-certification may not be needed - it doesn't hold up any aspect of product development.

Steve
K9ZW

http://k9zw.wordpress.com

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »

The problem has always been and will continue to be the software.  I believe that the hardware exists.  I believe the software will take longer than anyone wanted it to.  Software development can take many twists and turns and has been the failure of many companies. And of course, radios like these are nothing without working software.

Eventually they will get it together.  How long that takes is the real issue.  Radio Winks are even more insignificant the FCC certifications.

So the facts are, unless someone can say different.. We have seen a box, we have seen mocked up software. We have a sales brochure and sales materials.

What else do we have to go by?  I will conceal that my list of what is physical about this radio may be incomplete.  Please let us know if there is more to go by.

The old adage of a radio in the shack is worth 100 awaiting software would seem to apply here.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:42:57 AM by NI0Z » Logged

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »

Another FlexRadio disappointment: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,87807.0.html
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »

W6UV,
Thanks for the link, I love it.  Most reasonable folks can see Flex Radio Systems for who they are.

Tim  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: