Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At what point does DXing become "hard"  (Read 5393 times)
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »

I live in an HOA with antenna restrictions. In fact, there is a prohibition against radio transmitters,...

Really!  So no one there has a cell phone or remote control?

73 John AF5CC
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 03:22:59 PM »

I only count my 80 meter dx, and I admire those guys dxing 160.

Its funny you mention this - last night I heard ZS4TX with a VERY strong signal on my K9AY loops and tried to call him. My MA-160V and 400 watts wasn't enough to make a Q, but to hear a South African station that strong on 160M was as exciting as the rarest entity I have worked towards Honor Roll.

I have this really weird beverage on the ground that has to be a physics nightmare... I am constantly amused by what I here on 160m.  It is such a cool band. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »

ZS4TX was amazingly strong at his sunrise on 160.  ZS6EZ has been readable as well.  Unfortunately, it is summer in the southern hemisphere and lightning static on their end is affecting receive.  Still, those ZS hams on 160 are FB operators.  Don't give up, I am still trying on 160 also!
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

Honor Roll is not something I expect to achieve this cycle. Too many inactive entities.
My most recent band DXCC is 10m, having started at the bottom of Cycle 24. Like Tim, my goal is 9BDXCC, so I'll just have to chip away at Top Band until I do! With only about 40 entities inside 3000 miles, it's all just hard work now. Will need good openings to Europe to make it past the 73 tally so far. And the summer storm static when most of the Northern Hemisphere is active on 160m makes it difficult, not to mention completely crappy propagation.
The HF bands have been good the past few years. But both 160m and 6m have been rubbish.
Now, Dave's 251 with his restrictions is an admirable tally! But I think I'd go mad living in suburbia.
I've done like Thoreau and have gone bush. No complaints from the horses, kangaroos and kookaburras about my antennas or RF.
Whatever you do, just don't forget to have fun doing it! When there's no ATNO to chase, enjoy a nice ragchew with someone near or far. And there is always something you can do to improve your station and operating skills.
Look for us in May. I'll be one of the VK9NT ops on Norfolk Island.
Luke VK3HJ
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »

Outstanding, Luke!  Excellent plan.

Thanks in advance for activating VK9NT, and please be safe with all the fires down under.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 03:32:47 AM »

I am sitting at 203/198 at the moment.  Things are starting to slow down a bit, but things are not really hard.  There are some that I just can't hear with my antennas and I am slowly experimenting with different antennas and having some success with new designs.

My question is what is the magic number where new ones become really tough? I suspect it is somewhere around the 250 mark.  But I am curious where that brick wall came for all of you guys.  

If your objective is to work all DXCC entities on any band, in any mode, things get tough around 270 entities worked.

My advice is to recognize that you are an addict, and start pursuing DXCC Challenge now. This will keep your interest and skills sharp as the "mean time between new ones" gets larger and larger, and reduce the inevitable "I wish I'd worked that guy on all 10 bands and in all 3 modes when he was QRV!" recriminations that will occur when you wait to start chasing Challenge.

DX Is! (for some, more than others).

Dave, AA6YQ

I am doing the challenge. A good friend and I are "racing" to 1000 points. A steak dinner and a Padron cigar to the winner. After two years I am up by 40 and 3/4 of the way there. Ironically I have the vastly inferior station. He has a cubical quad 6m-20m and an ameritron AL-82.

I am more stubborn though I HATE to lose.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 03:52:06 AM »

The Diamond proved to be a remarkably good test of DXing--at the end, it boiled down to identifying and working active stations, UA0YM and UA0YAY in Z23, and BG2AUE in Z24.  Naturally, they were all tough over the pole paths--or I would have worked them earlier.   Wink  I got them all.   Grin

As for my number, I haven't got there yet.  I worked EP3SMH for ATNO #271 yesterday.   Grin  I was also pleased to see half a dozen Ri1FJ QSLs show up on LoTW this morning.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:11:37 AM by W1VT » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 04:43:07 AM »

The Diamond proved to be a remarkably good test of DXing--at the end, it boiled down to identifying and working active stations, UA0YM and UA0YAY in Z23, and BG2AUE in Z24.  Naturally, they were all tough over the pole paths--or I would have worked them earlier.   Wink  I got them all.   Grin

As for my number, I haven't got there yet.  I worked EP3SMH for ATNO #271 yesterday.   Grin  I was also pleased to see half a dozen Ri1FJ QSLs show up on LoTW this morning.

I casually did the Diamond DXCC. I just couldn't really get into it.

I was referring to the DXCC Challenge which is working them all on all bands.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 05:12:25 AM »

I just can't get excited about a bunch of band fills.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 06:24:18 AM »

I believe 2012 spoiled a lot of DXers, I know it did me.  As a newbie in chasing DX starting in 2011 even though I worked and cfm a couple ATNO's from some QSL cards I found dating 1969, 2012 brought almost a weekly rare ATNO for me.  Now that we are in the start of 2013, not many ATNO's nor major dxpeditions scheduled yet for the future and the band fills just come naturally even without a dxpedition.  Thank God there's a lot of avenues to travel in this wonderful hobby!
Randy
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 06:38:17 AM »

I've come to think just the opposite - I think total band-country count says more about an operator/station's effectiveness than a simple overall total.

John AE5X
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 07:49:18 AM »

I've come to think just the opposite - I think total band-country count says more about an operator/station's effectiveness than a simple overall total.

John AE5X

I agree. While ATNOs are way more fun. Seeing a country with a 9 band clean sweep is very satisfying.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »

John AE5X

I think it mostly says the operator lot a lot of free time to click on all the various spots for all the latest DX-peditions.... Smiley

Tor
N4OGW

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 10:28:30 AM »

John AE5X

That may or may not be true, but it isn't the issue. I'm not out to prove to myself or others that I'm a great DXer. I do this hobby to have fun, and I don't find making lots of contacts, in and of itself, to be fun, and I'm not so OC that I get satisfaction from checking off boxes. Recently, someone made a comment that he didn't really like RTTY (I think that was it) but he HAD to do it. To each his own.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »

Sorry to get all zen and shit, but the learning and adventure along the way is the real award.

However, I am really glad that the awards were something that got me so motivated to finally learn how to use HFTA, VOACAP and EZNec. The awards were only a stepping stone - not an end destination. In fact - no one needs an award to be a "great DX-er" if that's what you want to be known as.

A whole new "dimension" unfolded along the way - and I literally walk around in a dazed stupor every day, drooling and marveling about how propagation works and how I can take advantage of that with antennas that I design and build.

Hearing ZS4TX the other night with an S9 + signal on a pair of K9AY loops is the coolest thing ever - and I have contacted him - and he is confident that we will have a Q. When that happens I will be in ultra hog heaven. No award necessary - at all.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: