The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio locks out Stove Panel ?  (Read 8094 times)
N2RBI

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »

I have a real crazy problem and hope one of you guys or gals can help....I have a Ge Electronic Gas stove upstairs and whenever I get on 40m band and key up the front panel on the kitchen stove locks up. This only happens on 40m and 75m but the rest of the bands are okay 20,17,15,12,10. I put an RF Isolator on the feed from the Balun on my Wyndom wire antenna thinking maybe it was RF. At first it was workin ok . then the following day it locked out the panel again... HELP !  thanks N2RBI (Marty)  Huh Huh
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »

It probably is RFI. Five or ten years ago, there was a thread or article on a similar topic, pointing out that a stove manufacturer (I don't know which one) was very much aware of this problem and even made an "RFI remediation kit" that could be installed in the stove to prevent the problem. They tried to SELL it, and eventually admitted the stove design was "not defective but good enough for the vast majority of homeowners" and gave the ham the kit for free.

Odds are you need to have a serious discussion with GE about the defective stove and the need for RFI remediation, as well as checking your installation, especially for proper grounding all around.

You might have to dig but I'd expect you can find the older information on the web.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 06:28:02 AM »

The first thing to do is to threshold the problem. Running keydown CW increase the power from minimum until the stove locks up. Repeat to make sure it is repeatable. You now have a baseline to compare possible fixes to.

The next step is to try clamp-on ferrite cores. For 75 meters you may need many cores so I suggest ordering a couple dozen of a size that will fit on the power cord. Add them all and retest to see where the threshold is. If it's above your maximum power the problem is solved.  

Mouser sells them and here's a link to several Fair-Rite brand clamp-on cores:

http://www.mouser.com/Fair-Rite/Passive-Components/EMI-RFI-Components/EMI-RFI-Suppressors-Ferrites/Ferrite-Clamp-On-Cores/_/N-bw7t7Zscv7?P=1z0zldu&Rl=bw7t7Zer8bZ1z0vt20Z1yzrl24SGT

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:30:46 AM by WX7G » Logged
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:32:54 PM »

40 Meters and touch panel RFI! I have the same problem not with stove or microwave, but with a DirecTv DVR. We have two DVRs the old one with push buttons is fine, the one with the touch panel acts as if it were possessed when ever I exceed about 25 watts out SSB on my transceiver. Depending on the design, touch panel units can be very sensitive to ambient RF, not all just some. I have two touch panel TVs, and two microwaves and they are fine up to 600 watts.

You may have fun running this down, it hasn't gotten the notoriety that the AFCI problem has.

KF7CG
WA2DGD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 11:03:44 AM »

Similar problem on 40M when running over 500 watts...Locks up Garage Door Openers..
Lots of ferrite on AC cord, wires from photoelectric eyes, and wire to control button..
stops the problem 95% of the time....still can lock up on a rare occasion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: