Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VK Hams eye ACMA -halving- of License Fees of AU -Commercial- TV Broadcasters  (Read 3027 times)
VK5CQ

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »

A report on one of ABC's early morning radio (on its Summer schedule) suggested that
AU Gov't will forego Au$ 140 Million in License Fees, both PERMANENTLY and ANNUALLY.

How generous is that...?

Aussie Hams, on the other hand, have NOT -yet- heard of any similar generosity, eg, on -their- License Fees coming in their direction.

WIA seems (from our chairs) to be enjoying a cosy relationship with ACMA, at least on such matters.

WIA has to offer more "push-back" if it wants Aussie Hams the respect of ACMA, in future:

In recent months, ACMA notice NZ's regulator allowing its Hams higher transmit power, but could only "trust" Aussie Hams to -apply- for a -temporary- high power permit... in an experimental process, to be assessed later.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:10:37 AM »

According to the OECD you the most over governed and most inefficient country in the world. Why do you have so many layers of government for such a small population?
When you have massive government system with 3 layers of  government the parasites need your tax dollars.

I was astonished to read how the system works in Australia. Everything seems to be duplicated. For example you have a Federal health dept and then for every state you have another health department. This
is the most ridiculous system of government that I have ever come across. I thought the old soviet communist system was  the most bureaucratic, however I think Australia is close second.

One would think that if you pay a ham license fee you should have the right to put up a tower, being officially licensed. When I visited  Australia I was in the outback. Hams there were telling me that they could not put up a mast higher
than 10 meters stuck in the middle of nowhere.How did such a system of insanity prevail? Last I checked Australia had the lowest population density on the planet like 2 or 3 people for every square kilometer  of land. With such a low
population density really anyone should have the right to put up at least 70 to 100ft tower. I even visited one ham who was living on 40 acres and they still restricted his right to put up a miserable wet noodle 60ft pole. Totally bizarre.
But this is what you get when you have more politicians per head  than any other country in the world.

I visited Japan which has the highest population density in the world. Yet when I traveled around I saw more 70ft to 100ft ham towers than any country in the world. I went to hams house which we would call an apartment. He had  40 and 20 meter monobanders up on a 120 ft tower with 100's of these tiny houses around him. He was not the odd guy out. When I visited a radio club just about every ham  had a 70ft tower. Now I know why every pile from JA every one has  a big signal. All I hear from VK is squeaky weak G5RV's that are no more than 10 meters high.

Oh well thats your country, my advice is to vote for the first party that gets rid of so many layers of government, bureaucrat departments and the all the  lousy politicians. Even In place like Europe its easier putting up a tower than Australia.
As the saying goes you get the government that you deserve!

A report on one of ABC's early morning radio (on its Summer schedule) suggested that
AU Gov't will forego Au$ 140 Million in License Fees, both PERMANENTLY and ANNUALLY.

How generous is that...?

Aussie Hams, on the other hand, have NOT -yet- heard of any similar generosity, eg, on -their- License Fees coming in their direction.

WIA seems (from our chairs) to be enjoying a cosy relationship with ACMA, at least on such matters.

WIA has to offer more "push-back" if it wants Aussie Hams the respect of ACMA, in future:

In recent months, ACMA notice NZ's regulator allowing its Hams higher transmit power, but could only "trust" Aussie Hams to -apply- for a -temporary- high power permit... in an experimental process, to be assessed later.
VK5CQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:38:56 AM »

The list of AU hams' losses is longer yet, & it begins before one is ever licensed...

Options for AU's entry-level license - the Foundation course:

1. Buy WIA's Foundation Course book:

2. Do Foundation training (often offered by WIA-affiliated Ham Clubs, which is fine with me):

3. Take both parts of Foundation level Exams (one being practical, which is fine with me):

4. Pay ACMA fees for your first Foundation License:

Left as Home-Work is to look-up all the individual costs, along the way to that first license, & compute a Total cost for the whole path. Now, compare to the path to a new US license.

Indicate any parts (eg, training), that might be skipped, eg, because you have practical experience from commercial 2-way & / or Defense experience.

Hints:

1. Expect AU -exam- fees to be multiple times what US applicants are expected to pay.

2. Expect US -license- fees to be Free (except when an optional "vanity" callsign is desired)
VK5CQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:19 AM »

Continuing on the list of AU hams' losses being -longer- yet:

1. Aussie Hams have never really been allowed to use AutoPatches
(except when the service is offered by a channelised 4WD HF Club,
as part of their member services; of course, this is NOT on Ham Radio)

Nope, I'm told AutoPatches for Ham Repeaters was -vetoed- (eg, by
real or de facto telco monopoly Telecom, long-ago (now t/a Telstra).

Who can confirm details?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: