Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a Good price for a used Yaesu FT-450  (Read 2156 times)
KG5MG

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »

I've recently returning to ham radio after a 15 year absence.  I got rid of all my gear years ago and am basically starting from scratch and might as well say I am a "newbie"

I don't know anything about the current radios or what they are worth.  A fellow ham has a Yaesu FT-450 he bought at an estate sale which he intends to sell on Ebay but has given me first refusal.

My question is:  What is it worth?  I want to be fair but I also don't want to pay more than its worth.  I am starting over and have a relatively small budget so I need to make the best deals possible. I've looked online but mostly see quotes for later models such as the FT-450D and the prices range from $550-950, used

AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »

Around $500 or so.  A little more if it is the AT model.
KG5MG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »

Thanks.  Would you have any recommendations on where to find good used equipment?

I really can't afford new at this point.  I'm primarily interested in CW with some SSB on 10 meters for a local Net.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »

It is nearly impossible to recommend a reliable source for used equipment. If you search this forum you'll see many complaints.
I'd try to find an offer that you can try out before you buy. Perhaps you can find support from local hams. The internet can be a risky place.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:57:56 PM »

It is nearly impossible to recommend a reliable source for used equipment. If you search this forum you'll see many complaints.
I'd try to find an offer that you can try out before you buy. Perhaps you can find support from local hams. The internet can be a risky place.

If there's a local ham club, join it!   Your fellow club members may have gear to sell, or gear to lend you.

There are no _important_ differences between the FT-450 and FT-450D.  Either one would be a fine "basic" rig.

.           Charles
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:10:08 AM »

If there's a local ham club, join it!   Your fellow club members may have gear to sell, or gear to lend you.

Charles is 100% correct!  Get to know the local hams, go to the meetings, etc.  You can get a LOT of help from them as far as picking a rig, and you're likely to find a radio along the way.

If you can't do that, the big ham stores (Hamstation, AES, HRO, etc.) often sell used gear with a warranty--more expensive than a private sale but if the radio doesn't work you can return it.
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:50:08 AM »

one has to remember that the price of any equipment is based on what the seller is willing to let it go for and what the buyer is will to fork over.  We all have seen sell who put up items for sale only to learn they really do not want to let the item go, and buyers who are willing to pay the high price, when for a few cent more can ge a new item.  Just look at ebay and you will see where the price maybe low, but the shipping is thru the roof.  there are deals to be had, but you have to knwo what you are doing, if not get someone you trust to help you.
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »

I've recently returning to ham radio after a 15 year absence.  I got rid of all my gear years ago and am basically starting from scratch and might as well say I am a "newbie"

I don't know anything about the current radios or what they are worth.  A fellow ham has a Yaesu FT-450 he bought at an estate sale which he intends to sell on Ebay but has given me first refusal.

My question is:  What is it worth?  I want to be fair but I also don't want to pay more than its worth.  I am starting over and have a relatively small budget so I need to make the best deals possible. I've looked online but mostly see quotes for later models such as the FT-450D and the prices range from $550-950, used

Check AES and the other ham retailers "used list".  I bought a used FT-450 for $500.00 from AES.  It came with a 30 warranty and a $500.00 credit if I wanted to upgrade to a more expensive radio.  I didn't.  The FT-450 is a great value for the $500.00 to $600.00 range.  Hard to beat.  cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: