Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex-5000 Discontinued  (Read 17776 times)
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »

I believe it's a savings move.  Lol, they probably don't make much on them after you figure in support costs.  Look for the 3000 and 1500 to be replaced soon by DDC models, that's my prediction!  Their support costs due to the FW interface and windows issues are surely sky high.
Can't comment on the 3K, having never owned one but the 1500 does quite well on the USB interface and Windows. It's been pretty stable for quite some time and the latest releases of PowerSDR have just been small tweaks to make it better. I don't know your definition of "soon" and I'm sure the 3K and 1500 will eventually be replaced by upgraded models but I don't see it happening for at least two years unless Flex has already been doing some behind the scenes work on it while working on the 6500/6700.
Michael, W4HIJ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »

The 1500 is the one model I would consider to buy and play with.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »

The 1500 is the one model I would consider to buy and play with.
It's no secret I love mine.  It is great little radio that I consider dollar for dollar the best bang for the buck out there. It has also allowed me to stay in the hobby when otherwise I may not have been able to.  Due to my XYL's disability, we had some medical expenses come up that forced me to sell my 5K only about a year after I first got it.
Without the 1500 being available, I would have been relegated to one of the low end Japanese rigs with their substandard RX's or been forced to use an older outdated used rig both of which would have probably driven me out of the hobby.
Michael, W4HIJ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »

Their support costs due to the FW interface and windows issues are surely sky high.

They haven't had to spend any on me. 
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »

Me either, however, that said, there is a video on HamRadioNow with the statement on support costs and move to internal computing by Flex Radio there.

Check it out, its a cool video on the 6700.  The one before it is also really cool  You can also learn about the Mercury project as well there.  If memory serves me right its videos 61-63.

KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

I like my Flex 5K. However, right now I like my Johnson Valiant better for the moment as the smell of solder smoke is once again in my shack.
W7SMJ

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2013, 03:43:07 PM »

On the contesting its easy for me to see based on my user experience why the Flex with PowerSDR can not truly be a consistent contest winner given the window focus issues.  This has also been lamented on by others here and elsewhere.

CW is based off the feedback from long time trusted Hams who have been Flex users.  I have no CW user expereince myself to pull from.

Fair is fair, I amswered your questions, why did you ask this question to me?  Are you successfuly contesting with a Flex 5K or doing CW without issues?

Sorry for the tardy reply, I have been away for a few days.

To answer your question, I have never owned a Flex product but I have followed their product lines and the chatter about them and I may pick one up in the future.  I was trying to understand your ratings given there appeared to be no empirical data behind it. 
K6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »

And the Flex 6000 will also be discontinued because despite having some excellent features. Its not the radio that most hams want. You make money by producing a box with knobs on it.
Flexradio should have built a Flex6000  as standalone box with knobs on it and a TFT touch screen.

Sounds like the K3/KX3 would be more in line with your needs (except for the lack of a touch screen).
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2013, 04:43:51 AM »

Does Flex mean the eventual demise of the generic vision of a ham or ham shack due to a complete all mode communication system basically hidden in the bowels of a laptop with the only difference between it and Skype/cell phone being a single wire between laptop and some type of outside antenna? Maybe the term HAM will be replaced by the term HAC (Hardwire Amateur Communicator)and Flex to mean For Lazy EXtras.Hopefully various existing and out moded niches in the hobby will continue to survive. Tongue
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »

The vendor they got the cases from was discontinuing that type of work and getting replacements/retooling would have driven the price of the 5K up closer to that of a 6500
Let's see here....we have a software defined radio .....that gets discontinued because of lack of the right shape sheet metal...it should probably be called sheet metal dependent radio.
Although I can see some mispelling sheet on purpose Smiley

N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2013, 05:51:37 AM »

A lot of Flex haters think that because the Flex-5000 has been discontinued that there would be flood of them for sale. Well it ain't so.

A search on ebay for flex-5000 yields one but no 3000's. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=flex-5000&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Looking at the eham classifieds shows no Flex rigs for sale currently. http://www.eham.net/classifieds/search
Last of all QRZ shows four flex radios for sale none newer than May 18. http://forums.qrz.com/search.php?searchid=1412307

Looks to me as if most owners are holding onto their rigs. I know that my 5000 is staying in my shack!

Zack
N8FNR
FlexFanBoy ClubTM membership number 43
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: