Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZK3T - Slim or DJ2EH?  (Read 9381 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »

I just got thru on 12m CW.
I THOUGHT it was an ATNO...

No such luck !
My DX Challenge spreadsheet shows I got ZK3YA & ZK3OU
at some time in the past. 12m is a new band though.

Back to BARTG Sprint.

Congratulations, I heard him come back to you clearly and had a feeling you'd post it here. I could not hear your signal which is not unusual.  I use my Skyhawk through a transmatch on 12 so my signal is not what it would be on 10, 15, or 20.  I tried for about a half hour but did not get lucky.

He is moving to 30 meters just when his signal was approaching 599. 

I think N2NL pretty much convinced me that is not a pirate. He is a very good OP handling a pileup. Would be a shame if his talents were wasted as a Pirate.

I'm surprised you don't have a chart with the countries you need. It would make things easier for you.

Chris/NU1O
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »

Actually I do, but it was not open on gthe PC for me to look quickly.
I have both my DX Challenge, DXCC credit matrix and a third one
called DX Countries saved as spreadsheets, color coded to indicate
band & mode.

I have always been CRAZY when it came to tracking stuff.
You should have seen the massive docs I had when I was
running my old paging systems in the 80's and 90's.

Normally I remember which newbies I need, but shame
on me, I didn't remember the Tokelau Q's.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »

I just worked ZK3T on 12 meters. I did not have much to go by so I just hoped he'd follow yesterday's pattern.  He is very strong right now at 599. I thanked him by name and he asked for my name.  I wish he'd try 10 meters. It's in fairly decent shape today and I think the path would be open.

This is a new one and makes 318 for me. 

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »

Boy you are really on a roll!  Congrats.

He does put out a great signal.  Must be the salt water...

Does anyone know if there's an online log?  How about the QSL method and length of stay?

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »

Boy you are really on a roll!  Congrats.

He does put out a great signal.  Must be the salt water...

Does anyone know if there's an online log?  How about the QSL method and length of stay?

Jonathan W6GX

The QSL route is his home call, DJ2EH, and DX World has him active until February 20th.

Chris/NU1O

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »

Chris,
I heard your both sides of your QSO this afternoon.  You got him before the pileup really got going.  Congrats on the new one!
Chuck  NI0C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »

Chris,
I heard your both sides of your QSO this afternoon.  You got him before the pileup really got going.  Congrats on the new one!
Chuck  NI0C

Thanks Chuck,

I worked him while he was still using simplex.  That only lasted for a few minutes, so, yes, I got him very early. He was real strong and came back to me on my first call. There were a few Pacific island stations booming in on 10 meters so I think we would've had a path there, as well.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 08:47:59 PM »

Dieter is singlehandedly handing out Tokelau to many DXers.  I have worked him on 12, 15 and 40 meters now. All CW.  I don't know many he's worked but his lookups on QRZ are almost up to 10,000.  I'm really impressed by what a lone operator, albeit a very skillful one, can accomplish.

At the rate he is going there will be little demand for the next ZK3 operation this spring.

Chris/NU1O

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »

Dieter is singlehandedly handing out Tokelau to many DXers.  I have worked him on 12, 15 and 40 meters now. All CW.  I don't know many he's worked but his lookups on QRZ are almost up to 10,000.  I'm really impressed by what a lone operator, albeit a very skillful one, can accomplish.

At the rate he is going there will be little demand for the next ZK3 operation this spring.

Chris/NU1O

This is a new one for me.  And he puts out a fantastic signal!  GL to all.

Jonathan W6GX
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »

Glad to find this "ZK3T" issue sorted. I've heard the pirate ZK3T, so can understand the confusion.
As for single-op expeditions, some of these guys are masters. A few that come to mind are Darko E70A, Pekka OH2YY and Peri HB9IQB, who seem to be on just the right band to work them, and don't seem to sleep at all! Some others never seem to be on at the "right" time, or are not heard.
Dick DJ2EH is doing a great job, and is on air nearly all of the time! Of course ZK3 is very easy to work from here. Just looking for him on 10m for the last band wanted.
Despite his great efforts, you can still expect huge pileups with the main expedition in April/May. And probably from the same stations who worked Dick on all bands already. But that behaviour has been discussed at length time and time again...
Luke VK3HJ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 04:55:21 AM »

Just worked him on 160M. Wow - this DX season, 160M has been great for me. I think 160M is my new "favorite band"  Cheesy

Just using a Cushcraft MA-160V with 64 buried radials on TX and Array Solutions K9AY Loops on RX.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »

I've struggled to get him in the log for a new one, even though it's a chip shot from here. I just can't get through for some reason with my 100 watts. WOW does he have some great signals though - the entire world had significantly weaker signals on 12m - even the JAs which should have been about the same propagation to here.

He works the pileups like a breeze, except for me, I guess. And definitely except RTTY - boy was that a mess. He was well below 1 QSO per minute with a split pileup that was 20 khz wide. His very long exchange didn't help, nor the fact that he operated for 45 minutes and never once indicated he was working split. He asked folks to send their calls 4 or more times - I suspect he has his software set so it won't reprocess from the previous waterfall data... or something. But it's easy to criticize - cheers to the guy for putting this place on the air.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 06:16:40 AM »

Glad to find this "ZK3T" issue sorted. I've heard the pirate ZK3T, so can understand the confusion.

I worked a "ZK3T" at about 0430UTC last night on 40M CW.

I have this feeling it's a slim, because Tokelau must have been in broad daylight at the time.

But... I have worked Hawaii in the winter on 40M many times while it was about 3PM or 4PM Hawaii local time, must have been several hours before their sunset, and I myself have made interesting DX QSO's on 40M that were in my local afternoon. So I'm holding out some hopes for this ATNO.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 11:29:29 PM »

I worked a "ZK3T" at about 0430UTC last night on 40M CW.

I have this feeling it's a slim, because Tokelau must have been in broad daylight at the time.

But... I have worked Hawaii in the winter on 40M many times while it was about 3PM or 4PM Hawaii local time, must have been several hours before their sunset, and I myself have made interesting DX QSO's on 40M that were in my local afternoon. So I'm holding out some hopes for this ATNO.

Tokelau is 18 hours ahead of EST or 13 hours ahead of UTC time.  I would not write off a QSO simply due to the time.  A few weeks ago I worked Mongolia at 1 PM local time here in MA on 30 meters which I would've thought impossible. 

Sunset for ZK3 is O5:54 UTC today.  You would've worked him about 5:30 PM  local time so it's not very  extraordinary for 40 meters.

Chris/NU1O

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: