Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Have Earned Honor Roll? #1 Honor Roll?  (Read 2541 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:52:19 AM »

I recently asked the ARRL DXCC Desk this question, and found out that they don't keep this figure.

So - I looked at the "DXCC Standings" page and estimate (just by adding up the calls with 331 or more) that there is about 6000 that have earned Honor Roll, so lets just say > 5000. It seems that there are about > 4000 that have made #1 Honor Roll. I also ONLY looked at the Mixed list - I wanted to see what are no doubt the largest numbers. Also - at 331 - there is no way to know how many are deleted, but what the heck - I just want "very rough ballpark" numbers.

My 8BDXCC plaque says #5516 (dated 2004), so I know that there are more than 5516 who have 5BDXCC. Funny that they didn't keep an Honor Roll "count".

My numbers are very "loose". I found that the average full page of QSO's is 50 per column, 6 columns or 300 per full page. Plus or minus "10's". My totals are plus or minus "100's", and this is "close enough for government work" . . . . I'm too lazy to write an "awk / sed" or Perl script that does an intelligent "wc" (word count) on a downloaded list. If I get any more bored (than I am now - waiting for the next ATNO) - I think I actually will write one. Its actually a fun little problem to solve.  Grin

I'm on page 19 and soon will jump up to page 18. So I always know - there are 17 pages of international hams who have participated in this program ahead of me. That is always humbling. There are 72 pages of participants, and I know that this number has gone up since 2001 - when I started DX-ing.

There are probably hundreds of DX-ers who don't care about "awards" and have just worked anything and everything for the fun of it. No way to know how many.

I wonder if anyone actually tracks such things - maybe a DX Club?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:05:12 AM by KY6R » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »

Hi Rich,

Just a few comments on the ARRL DXCC listings.  Silent keys seem to be dropped from the listings immediately, although I know of one silent key (who apparently wasn't reported) who remains on the list.  Also, some inactive members, such as my son who earned a DXCC award around 1990 but never applied for an endorsement, no linger appear on the list.

As far as honor roll is concerned, there seems to be no way of knowing how many participants there are who qualified once for honor roll, but got dropped as countries were added to the list.

Chuck  NI0C

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »

What is the definition of #1 Honor Roll? I would have thought it meant working all 340 but it appears not.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »

Chuck,

Its funny - DXCC Honor Roll is a moving target - I guess due to the idea of "gamification" - meaning the targets change dynamically based on entities being deleted and whatnot. And that you have to track these changes and keep up with the changing tide . . .

Personally - I think the whole concept of a Deleted is silly, and I think dropping anyone - or even graying them out on the list is silly. Mainly because the Spock in me doesn't logically understand how you can take away anyones accomplishment. In fact - I think SK's should be memorialized forever - using their name and call - since calls are now recycled like old beer bottles these days.

Chris,

Pretty darn good question. Today 340 is #1 HR - but it has changed just like the number to get on Honor Roll has changed. When I started DX-ing in 2001 - the number was lower than what it is today to make HR. Today its 331, not long ago - it was something like 328 or 329 - I don't remember.

I play by the rules - even though I think some of them are kind of bizarre.

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »

Something like a WAZ on steroids would be good. Divide the world into 1000 equal areas that won't come and go. It would be fairer, too.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »

Chris, I think Honor roll is within 10 of all available. Top of the Honor Roll is all of them.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »

Chris, I think Honor roll is within 10 of all available. Top of the Honor Roll is all of them.

Honor Roll is 331 right now - which is the "numerical top 10" (340 - 9 = 331), and HR #1 is 340.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:56:53 PM by KY6R » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »

Aren't all ARRL awards typically numbered? I recall numbers on my awards but I don't have them in front of me.

6,000 people making Honor Roll is a lot more than I had expected.  Also, it seems 4,000 out of 6,000 making #1 honor roll is a very high proportion but I'm not about to count like Rich did.

This program has been around since 1937 so I would think a lot made it and have had their calls deleted due to becoming SK.

Rich, I agree with you about calls. I do not think somebody who made #1 HR should have their call discarded. I think it should remain on the list for eternity.

Chris/NU1O
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:36:33 PM »

At present, "top of the Mixed Honor Roll" requires Mixed DXCC credit for all 340 non-deleted DXCC entities.

Note that only 5 ops are at the top of the CW Honor Roll, and that no one is at the top of the RTTY/Digital Honor Roll.

Dave, AA6YQ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:26 AM »

At present, "top of the Mixed Honor Roll" requires Mixed DXCC credit for all 340 non-deleted DXCC entities.

Note that only 5 ops are at the top of the CW Honor Roll, and that no one is at the top of the RTTY/Digital Honor Roll.

Dave, AA6YQ

That one really surprises me.  Since CW is the DX mode of choice, I would have thought there would have been more.  Maybe the "blessed" monk Apollo is part of the reason more don't.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 05:23:16 AM »

AD9DX wrote:
That one really surprises me.  Since CW is the DX mode of choice, I would have thought there would have been more.  Maybe the "blessed" monk Apollo is part of the reason more don't.

As I recall, it is P5 that is the rarest on CW. 

Chuck  NI0C
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »

You guys are making me sick.  I'm still working on my #1 WAS UA.  In case you're wondering #1 WAS UA is working every state via LP Unassisted Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »

W6GX wrote:
I'm still working on my #1 WAS UA.  In case you're wondering #1 WAS UA is working every state via LP Unassisted

LP means "long path," doesn't it?  Wink
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »

W6GX wrote:
I'm still working on my #1 WAS UA.  In case you're wondering #1 WAS UA is working every state via LP Unassisted

LP means "long path," doesn't it?  Wink

That's why I said I'm still working on it Shocked

Jonathan W6GX
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »

AD9DX wrote:

As I recall, it is P5 that is the rarest on CW. 

Chuck  NI0C

That's correct, Chuck. While he was in P5 during 2001 and 2002, Ed 4L4FN worked exclusively in Phone and RTTY. While CW is certainly the most effective mode for working DX, this is an excellent example of why DXers pursuing Mixed awards should be QRV RTTY and other digital modes.

There were CW operations from Mount Athos in 1998 and 2005.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: