Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General AMP question: Which one should I get?  (Read 3042 times)
W1TLD

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »

Hi everyone, and thank you for taking the time to look at this.
I am going to buy an amp, but....I have a few questons that I need answers for before I dive into this.
I know how much damage an amp can cause if not used properly, etc.
First of all, I live in an antenna restricted community.  Why, you ask?  To make my wife happy.  
So, I got creative and built myslef a nice double bazooka di pole antenna and placed it in my attic.  I'm extremely pleased with it's performance and have two "WAS" awards from EQSL.  
However, my attic wont allow me to get the antenna up as high as I would like.  And, it's right over our heads.  So, the thought of how much power can I actually use enters my mind.
That said, I'd like to know if anyone can answer that question for me?  Since my antenna is only 15 feet off the ground and is in my attic......How much power could I use before I flooded my home with RF?  How much power could I use before it became a bad thing?  I currently use a very nice Kenwoood TS-2000 at it's full 100 watt capacity.  It's all been in use for about 5 years now.  I'm using a Palstar AT-2K tuner, which I love by the way!  O.K.....So, am I limited to my 100 watt Kenwood capacity? Or, Can I safely go up to 200?  300?  Or more?  If you believe I could indeed safely increase my power, which amp would you suggest?  By the way, I should have mentioned that everything I have seen and read about my double bazooka suggests that it will easily handle the lagal limit.  Thank you!!
W1TLD
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:05:58 AM by W1TLD » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »

Opinions may vary but running a amp with a indoor antenna is kinda asking for problems.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:13:59 AM »

I wouldn't even consider running an amp with an attic antenna. You'll likely have all sorts of RFI problems with electronics in the home.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »

You're going to get a lot of replies that will probably be discouraging for you.  Thing is, we out here can't possibly predict exactly at what point interference will start in your specific situation.. 

That's what experimenting is for.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W1TLD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:56:35 AM »

Yes, I understand that some experimentation would be necessary.  Thank you for that.  i also understand that running an amp with an indoor antenna is, for the most part, a bad idea.  I could possibly end up being ok with some more power on at least one of the bands?  For example, i have alsways had an issue on 40 meters with my indoor antenna.  i have to turn the power down on 40 meters or it interferes with some of our electronics.  Everyone in here is correct.  And, i appreciate all of the advice.  I have considered building a long wire antenna and installing it under my eaves.  So, no one would see it.  but, that isnt much better than having the attic antenna.  looks like I'm just screed.  lol
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »

Is a outside antenna possible?  Even one that disappears during day? A amp on a indoor antenna could actually possibly damage some electronic devices.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »

If you can borrow or buy a field strength meter, you could key your existing rig. With the amp, the field should be proportional to what you have now times the power ratio.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »

In your situation, I think 500w would be a practical maximum. Also, as others have stated, a hidden outside antenna will improve thing considerably so I would definetly attempt that before adding an amp.
W1TLD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »

would that outside antenna include one that was hidden under the eaves?  Or, would one of those rigs that can be lowered during daylight hours be better?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »

would that outside antenna include one that was hidden under the eaves?  Or, would one of those rigs that can be lowered during daylight hours be better?

One clear of house that you lower during the day would be far better than a eve antenna and it should boost your signal as well and will reduce RFI too.

W1TLD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »

Thanks everyone!
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »

No one has brought up RF exposure limits.  An antenna at 15 feet...With a more than a 500 watt amp, you may have to do an evaluation of RF enviromental exposure.  See 97.13.  Anything above 15 meters requires one if you are operating at 75 watts PEP to the antenna.  See FCC OET bulletin 65 for limits and distances for occupied and un-occupied.

Rick  wn2c
W1TLD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »

Yes, I agree with you.  In fact, Rf exposure was my biggest concern.  It is mostly why I decided to ask the question in here.  I have decided that i will not use an amp unless I can find a way to make an outside antenna work with my situation.  Thank you very much for your help.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »

perhaps you can get away with a "hidden vertical, (flag pole, or large  trellis with some fake ivy on it, ) if yo are allowed satellite dishes how about one with a set of 40 meter "guys" on it, fed with rg8 instead of rg6.. and modest power 500 watts or so, would be ok. with an indoor antenna  I would be very careful.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »

Hi everyone, and thank you for taking the time to look at this.
I am going to buy an amp, but....I have a few questons that I need answers for before I dive into this.
I know how much damage an amp can cause if not used properly, etc.
First of all, I live in an antenna restricted community.  Why, you ask?  To make my wife happy.  
So, I got creative and built myslef a nice double bazooka di pole antenna and placed it in my attic.  I'm extremely pleased with it's performance and have two "WAS" awards from EQSL.  
However, my attic wont allow me to get the antenna up as high as I would like.  And, it's right over our heads.  So, the thought of how much power can I actually use enters my mind.
That said, I'd like to know if anyone can answer that question for me?  Since my antenna is only 15 feet off the ground and is in my attic......How much power could I use before I flooded my home with RF?  How much power could I use before it became a bad thing?  I currently use a very nice Kenwoood TS-2000 at it's full 100 watt capacity.  It's all been in use for about 5 years now.  I'm using a Palstar AT-2K tuner, which I love by the way!  O.K.....So, am I limited to my 100 watt Kenwood capacity? Or, Can I safely go up to 200?  300?  Or more?  If you believe I could indeed safely increase my power, which amp would you suggest?  By the way, I should have mentioned that everything I have seen and read about my double bazooka suggests that it will easily handle the lagal limit.  Thank you!!
W1TLD

What band is the Double Bazooka cut for? Since a double Bazoka is a single band antenna that would be the only band you could run the antenna on with a amp anyway. Any other band would be asking for trouble plus it would cut the signal on both TX and RX plus it might have very high current levels at the end of the antenna that could start a FIRE!! Even at the 100W level. If you have any trees that are over 25-30 ft tall Get a vertical and paint it the same color as the trunk/s with camo paint. or get a SteppIR vertical and put out lots of radials and work the world with 500W.

Goog Luck with the antenna.
73 Roland AH6RR
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: