Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Molly...  (Read 2543 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:37:55 AM »

...talked me into buying a returned 9500 this week. Got about 12% off the street price and full factory warranty. Cheesy

A fellow had bought it, started to use it in a contest, and a relay blew. He returned the unit and got a new one; I guess that was his fastest way to go QRO.

I'd been agonizing between THP and RF Concepts for a couple of weeks. What decided it in the end for me was the warranties. THP gives 1 year, RF Concepts four years on the amp and one year on the tube.

I'm getting a 240v line to the shack installed this week. Could do it myself but I really don't like playing with energized breaker boxes.

- WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

It's quite a fact , Alpha will eat "ALL" the competitors for breakfast...Hands down

Nice work

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »

I agree, I currently have a  87a  and have had others in the past.  Molly did you right, alpha is the best amplifier in the world, or at least the very best of what I can afford.  And they are nice folks too
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »

Looking forward to taking delivery. Now if I could only find the perfect antenna tuner...

73, -WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
WU2M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 06:44:13 PM »

I purchased a used 89 from them. It had a problem with a relay and Molly sent Fed Ex to my house to pick it up. The turn around was great and everything is fine now. This thing is a real powerhouse and I love the silent qsk for CW. Alpha is definitely the "top dawg" when it comes to amplifiers.
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »

I've owned two Alphas and both have been stellar performers. The couple of times I've had a question or problem (three in over 15 years) Alpha took care of things immediately, either answering my questions or solving the issue by prompt response . When you phone Alpha you will speak to someone knowledgeable who is thoroughly familiar with your unit.

You'll pay for Alpha quality but Alpha amps hold their value and reliably turn out QRO year after year.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:31:06 PM by W2LO » Logged
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »

P.S. RF Concepts sent me two coffee mugs, "with compliments." They are proving to be very nice folks.

9500 is due Saturday. I've cleared a spot in my shack for it. The electrician roughed in a 240V line this morning; I'll go to Home Depot to get the wall socket to finish the job in the next couple of days. Then I'll be all ready for the real beast!

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »

I've had two Alpha amps in the past.  The 76CA and 89.  Both worked flawlessly.  The Eimac tubes were somewhat of a problem...bad filament weld on one and intermittent internal short on the other.  I sold my 89 a few years ago...sometimes wish I had it back.  I replaced both amps with Icom PW-1's.  So far I've spent $2200 on getting one of them repaired.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »

QRO on 40. Cheesy

The amp only needs about 37 watts (indicated) to get full legal output. If I try to drive it harder, it sets off my smoke alarms. Sad

That should keep me honest. Smiley

- WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: