Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL-811 METER LIGHTS  (Read 4729 times)
N5IL

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »

NO LIGHTS ON THE METERS AF MY AL-811. VOLTAGE IS PRESTNT ON THE TERMINALS OF THE METERS SO
IS THIS REPAIRABLE OR MUST THE METERS BE REPLACED.
ARE THERE ANY LEDs OPTIOMS / MODS AVAILABLE.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:47:55 AM by N5IL » Logged
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:06:33 PM »

It is possible that the lamps are inside the meter housing. This requires disassembly of the meter from the chassis and then disassembly of the meter itself.

Lots of people leave the meters alone add some LED's for external lighting.

If you search for AL-811 LED Meter you'll find lots of information.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52:46 PM »

Light bulb is a small soldered in tubular light bulb, a little bigger than the "grain o wheat" style bulbs, in the front of the meter case and immediately in front of and below the meter movement itself, accessible via pulling the meter case open.

Others (with possibly different generation of meters, I know the Ameritron "big boy amps" have this different configuration) have reported bulbs outside the meter case, I do not have this configuration myself.

I do not know of an exact source for the dinky little tubular incadescent bulbs. If mine blew out I might replace with a small diffuse LED bar, but it would have to be pretty thin, there is only like 2-3 mm space available in front of and under the meter movement. Others light the meter from above or behind.

You might check to make sure that not only is there voltage "on the terminals" but "across the terminals". Could be as simple as a lifted ground wire.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »

Available for pocket change. 

8V Meter Lamp: 

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/25-450

12V Meter Lamp: 

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/25-455&green=74B7DD94-BB1F-50E1-A760-D18E0F6F658B

Measure the voltage at the blown lamps connects. 

TIP:  Using the 12V lamps on an 8V system provides slightly less illumination but yields a very long lasting lamp. 

K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:38:42 PM »

I have seen some on the net as led lights with tape to stick them on. I cannot find them again so if you find any please pot a link so I can book mark it. I have one out in my Al 80A.
Thanks,

Frank
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »

I've had great luck with these:

http://www.environmentallights.com/led-rope-and-strip-lights/led-strip-sample-kits/led-strip-light-sample-kits.html

You can order a sample kit with the wall wart or order by the foot.
They offer adhesive backing, come in many colors including tri-color and can be cut into individual 3 LED strips that include the dropping resistor for 12 volts.

I replaced the meter LEDs in my AL-1500 with blue ones and they look hamsexy...

Don N4TTS

I have seen some on the net as led lights with tape to stick them on. I cannot find them again so if you find any please pot a link so I can book mark it. I have one out in my Al 80A.
Thanks,

Frank

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:26:07 AM »

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank

Go search Ebay for those LED's you are looking for. Buy them out of China dirt cheap and usually they offer free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=4670&_catref=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=LED+strip+lights&_sacat=0&_from=R40
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:32:17 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate the sources.

Frank
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »

Replacing the lamps inside the meters is not all that difficult.
Radio Shack has grain of wheat bulbs that can be used.

I already had the grain of wheat bulbs so just used them.
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »

FMC-

Wow. I guess I need to stop leading with my wallet and look around a bit more for parts. I never thought to look on eBay.
Thanks from me as well. I won't be buying the expensive ones anymore.

Don N4TTS

Hi Frank

Go search Ebay for those LED's you are looking for. Buy them out of China dirt cheap and usually they offer free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=4670&_catref=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=LED+strip+lights&_sacat=0&_from=R40
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:26:04 PM »

I used the link VE3FMC posted and bought 5 sets of three 12volt DC. led lights with wires attached and stick on tape for 4.25 with free shipping. What a deal if they work and Thanks very much
Rick.

Frank
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »

A guy had basically the same question on MODS and REPAIRS forum here on eHam.  I posted this answer for his consideration:

I found this product at Allelectronics.com.  I found it so great that I'm incorporating it in my homebrew projects as well as my 'store-boughten' gear as it becomes necessary. 

The 3-LED strips come with its own dropping resistor which means you can run it from 13.8VDC without calculating and installing an external resistor.  What's more the back of the strip has an adhesive which can simplify mounting.

To quote Allelectronics:

Bright, flexible, easy-to-use LED light strip. Ultra-bright, white surface-mount leds on a flexible, 8mm wide, adhesive backed ribbon. Ideal for accent lighting in auto or home. Also great for under cabinet or shelf lighting. Ribbon strip can be cut every 50mm (approx. 2"). Each 50mm segment consists of three LEDs on 15mm centers and can be lit independently. Each segment has clearly marked solder spots for power connection. Wires can be soldered directly to ribbon tape or, push-on connectors, CAT# CON-121 and CON-122 are available. Sold as a continuous ribbon, up to 5 Meters (100 segments). Priced per 3-led, 50mm segments.

We also have this in "Warm-White," CAT# LS-12-WW and "Neutral-White," CAT# LS-12-NW. "Cool-White" is whiter, more like a fluorescent light. "Warm-White" is yellower, more like an incandescent light, and "Neutral-White" is somewhere in between.

Specifications:
12Vdc, 25 mA per 3-led segment
Color temperature: 6500K
Viewing Angle: 120 Degree
Peel-off 3M® adhesive backing

I use the LS-12-NW and vary the brightness with a dropping resistor or pot if I find it necessary.  Most of the time I use a 3-LED strip as is.  I use a 6-LED strip under a homebrew 'hood' to illuminate an LCD screen which I can now see from several feet away.

KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 05:40:42 AM »

FYI
811(H) and 80s lamps arent inside the meter, on top east to fix, 12 volt wheat lamp, rat shacks even work.
If u use leds's make sure you use the right current limit resistor.

73  Dave
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »

There is a great article in this months QST on replacing incandescent lamps with LEDs. It is on page 67. While not directed at the AL-811, It could be easily adapted for your usage on this amp.

Hope this helps,

73s

K2OWK
N5IL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS, RICK DOWN AT AMERITRON SENT ME THE NEW TYPE LIGHT BULBS AND THEY ARE IN AND WORKING FINE.
THE NEW ONES ARE LIKE THE LITTLE PEANUT BULBS, NOT THE INLINE AXEL TYPE THAT WERE IN IT. STILL 15 VOLTS.

CASE CLOSED UNTILL SOMETHINE ELSE COMES UP WITH IT.

THANKS,    N5IL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: