Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna- What to do -what to do  (Read 1572 times)
KD0LAV

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »

Newer ham.  Small yard and power lines across the back lot line.  Currently have a ground mounted HF9V with 28 radials.  Antenna is guyed at 4 different directions.  Setting here looking it load up with ice and having gone thru one blizzard I am always concerned in a worse case (Murphys Law) situation it could be blown into the power lines....goodbye house etc.

Have been doing extensive research on sloper or inverted V configurations. I have read review after review after multiple review and article after article and just get more confused.  It's like the old Ford/Chevy debate..

One sloper manufacturer said just attach the existing radial field to the coax box and the antenna to the other side of the box and it will work great.  With an inverted V on a pushup pole could probably get the pole up to 30 feet and still keep the back yard looking nice to keep the wife happy.  I have a LDG tuner, Run no power with a 590.  Basically a casual operator but I do enjoy DX.  Would want WARC bands and 10-80.  The antennas I have looked most at are the LNR (Parr) end fed antenna, Ultimax and Buxcomm Windom or the DX-EE.

Am open to suggestions to replace the HF9V.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »

Well, to start off with, if your current antenna can fall into the power lines, you should disassemble it post haste. Be sure you remove the guy on the power line side first and lay it over the other direction.

With a tuner at the base, such as an SGC SG-230, you can just attach a piece of wire to the terminal, angle it up to something and tie it off. The instructions for the SG-230 say that the minimum length wire is 8 feet and with a 23 foot wire, you get 1.6-30 MHz. and up to 200W pep.

It's not a bad setup and you won't notice much difference between the vertical and the sloper assuming you use the same radial field.

http://www.sgcworld.com/230ProductPage.html

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »

One safe choice, for some of the bands, would be one of the MFJ  1788 MagLoops on a sturdy mast.
For 10m on the mast, you could put up an OmniAngle OA-28, keeping it at least 5' away from the magloop.
For 80, a short loaded dipole of some sort, or work out a way to load the mast holding the other antennas, the way some hams load their towers for 160m.
Please post what you do wind up with!
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »

I am going to put a privacy fence in the back yard soon.. Someone had suggested running a dipole along the length of a fence up on 10-15 ft high pvc poles.  Cant get it too high as it will again be directly under the power lines but not high enough to get into them.  Any suggestions along these lines?
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »

Getting back to your vertical: Just to be clear, are you saying that if your vertical simply fell over where it stands, it would contact power lines?  If so, then yes, the vertical has to be moved or replaced.

On the other hand, if you are saying that it would only contact power lines if it were physically removed from the base and carried (by wind or whatever) to power lines, that is a different story.   Almost no antenna would pass that test.  I would stay with the vertical.  By comparison a 15' high dipole would be sure to disappoint.  Besides, it should not be right underneath the power lines either.  A power line could fail and drape across the dipole, which could be pretty bad.

Richard, AB4ZT
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:26 AM »

Thanks for the replies Richard.  The verticle is guyed multiple directions, more so on the house side to bring it in towards the house if it should fail but then there is always Murphy's Law and shoulld the neighbors tree fall my way it could possibly put it into the power line. You raised a good point about the lines coming down on top of the fence run antenna.  It looks like the next option is an inverted V on a pushup pole that I could raise/lower during extreme weather.
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:56:22 AM »

I could not live with that kind of worry. Stop looking at it. Either it is properly guyed or it isnt. If it is forget about it and get on with the hobby. If it isn't then fix it so it is.
I thought you needed a call that started with G to worry like this.
Don VE3LYX
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »

I would also be concerned about the proximity of your wire antenna to the power lines, possibly inviting some noise into the shack. Before I put up my beam I used a Cushcraft R7 15 feet up and worked the world. When living in an apartment (read: no antennas allowed) I tried all kinds of hidden wire antennas, and while they worked they didn't well. Either too close to the ground or too close to the apartment building. If you could properly guy the vertical I think you would be happy with it.

Good luck,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: