Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF and aircraft radios for search & rescue  (Read 8089 times)
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »

I have a personal 406 beacon with GPS and it does have 121.5. My particular model is the FastFind 210 GPS.
W7CSD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »

With all the "I think So" and "I'm not sure..." comments on this thread, you might want to save your breath and read the description on Wikepedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPIRB

While this might not answer everyone's comments, it does show the importance of maintaining "older" technology to fulfill a current need. If you look at the accuracy of some of the PLBs  ELTs and, EPIRBs, there is no way to locate someone in thick brush or cover without secondary tools. Also, one might want to consider FRS along with CB to outfit a search organization with. There has been more than one documented case where someone was lost with only a FRS or CB radio. Why limit yourself to listening to the Motorola Sales people that guarantee Cellular service will never fail and you need only their P-25 systems to function.

It's your money but count me out if you subscribe to that philosophy.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 06:41:28 AM »

I have a personal 406 beacon with GPS and it does have 121.5. My particular model is the FastFind 210 GPS.
According to the Wikipedia page in the previous post, technically, my "EPIRB" is a PLB, which might explain why it only transmits on 406 MHZ.
ALCO141

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

many fliers i know in alaska keep a plb and a sat phone or aircraft HT on their survival vests,  once they spot the rescue ship they can direct it to them with the HT.  seems like this is common practice from  the bush pilots i have talked to.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »

Trip planning and ETAs along with:
    Signal mirror (day sun)
     Flouresent surveyors tape (Day cloudy)
      Small strobe light (Night dark)
        Whistle ( Day/Night/Cloudy)
All will do the trick when your electronic toys fail.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: