Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traffie hex beam - why so pricey?  (Read 2287 times)
KU7I

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:16:53 AM »

There is a great topic being discussed right now about hex beam costs.....which got me thinking: Why is Traffie so pricey compared to the others?

Lane
Ku7i/JH1JCM
US Naval Hospital
Yokosuka, Japan
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:49:20 AM »

There is a great topic being discussed right now about hex beam costs.....which got me thinking: Why is Traffie so pricey compared to the others?

Lane
Ku7i/JH1JCM
US Naval Hospital
Yokosuka, Japan
I too have asked this question on Internet Antenna Forums for Hams Lane, and the only answer I have received so far is "Mike Traffie is a nice guy".

Competition is always a good thing, for the consumer, but it can suck for a manufacturer. Especially if that manufacturer is unable to justify the higher price of their product.

It would appear to me that Mike Traffie has "nowhere to go" to defend his Hex Beam, against the lower priced competition.
Both of his competitors (K4KIO and NA4RR) are using the G3TXQ design.
If he tries to claim better electrical performance for his antenna, then he risks a public confrontation with G3TXQ, a confrontation he will most certainly lose.
Honestly Lane, I really don't think Mike Traffie has anywhere to go, as far as defending his product's higher price.
He is up against some equally well built, and electrically superior Hex Beam designs. About all he can do is adjust (lower) his prices to match his competitors. But even if he does that, the fact still remains the G3TXQ Hex Beam designs are electrically superior to his!

No Lane, it sort of looks like the "party's over" for Mike Traffie, and the sales of his Hex Beam.
But, think of it this way ? Traffie had one hell of a run, for awhile!

Traffie pretty much had Hex Beam sales all to himself. But that has all changed now. Hams are very very smart consumers, and now that they have choices, I can't imagine my fellow Hams paying more money, for less antenna performance.

Even IF Mike Traffie is a nice guy  Wink

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:42:59 AM »

This ought to be interesting,especially after the previously heated debate in the(Save a lot of money on a hex beam) thread in this same forum.
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:22:47 AM »

Hi Lane,

Competition is a great thing. We all benefit from the fact that there are several very high quality hex beams available for sale.

The Traffie 5 band hex beam is extremely robust. It is also smaller in diameter and a bit lower in weight. If any of these three things is important to you then you might be willing to pay the higher price.

I have mine on a Rohn H30 mast and when I first installed it I had deviated from Rohn's published guy recommendations. As a result, during a wind storm, the mast buckled at about the 12 foot level and the top 18 feet of mast with my Traffie beam at the top smacked into the ground. Rohn mast, total loss. Traffie hex beam not a scratch. It's back up on a new properly guyed H30 mast.

By the way, KA7NIQ does not own a hex beam and is a Traffie basher and has done so on several different threads. I suggest that you read the reviews for all of the available hex beams and listen to the voices of experience. Then join the Yahoo hex beam group and make your decision.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hex-beam/

Mike K2MK
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:40:29 AM »

Lane
Ku7i/JH1JCM
US Naval Hospital
Yokosuka, Japan

For the same reason that Mercedes cost more than a Smart Car.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »

Hi Lane,

Competition is a great thing. We all benefit from the fact that there are several very high quality hex beams available for sale.

The Traffie 5 band hex beam is extremely robust. It is also smaller in diameter and a bit lower in weight. If any of these three things is important to you then you might be willing to pay the higher price.

I have mine on a Rohn H30 mast and when I first installed it I had deviated from Rohn's published guy recommendations. As a result, during a wind storm, the mast buckled at about the 12 foot level and the top 18 feet of mast with my Traffie beam at the top smacked into the ground. Rohn mast, total loss. Traffie hex beam not a scratch. It's back up on a new properly guyed H30 mast.

By the way, KA7NIQ does not own a hex beam and is a Traffie basher and has done so on several different threads. I suggest that you read the reviews for all of the available hex beams and listen to the voices of experience. Then join the Yahoo hex beam group and make your decision.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hex-beam/

Mike K2MK
That Yahoo Group is a Traffie Hex Beam Group Kravitz
(K2MK). It is what it is, one big Informercial for Traffie Hex Beams.
LOL, I think I will join, then tell all 3000 + Members about the NA4RR Hex Beam, that offers superior performance to the Traffie Hex Beam, for under 1/3 the price  Grin

Heck, even the K4KIO Hex beam should be an easy sale in that Traffie Hex Beam Users group, since it too offers superior electrical performance, at 1/2 the price!

You are correct Kravitz, I do not own a Hex Beam. I have a larger, slightly better antenna. My not owning a Hex Beam gives me the objectivity you lack Kravitz. You own a Traffie Hex Beam W2MK.
It must kind of suck for you to realize you paid all that money, for a Traffie Hex Beam, that does not perform as well electrically, as the K4KIO or NA4RR Hex Beams ?

Kravitz, let me ask you this, was the K4KIO Hex Beam for sale when you bought your Traffie Hex Beam ?
If so, are you aware you could have had a superior Hex Beam, and saved over 600.00 Kravitz ?

600.00 you could have saved Kravitz, think about it ?  That 600.00 could have bought you a little amp, or at least paid for a lot of Bagels  Wink

The Traffie Hex Beams are good antennas. But, the G3TXQ powered designs of K4KIO and NA4RR are electrically superior, and cost 1/2 and 1/3 as much as the Traffie's.

If making my fellow Hams aware of that is "Traffie Bashing", then I plead guilty as charged.

K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »

Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
600.00 you could have saved Kravitz, think about it ?  That 600.00 could have bought you a little amp, or at least paid for a lot of Bagels

Oh yes, I got your message loud and clear. Thanks for the enlightenment.

K2MK
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »

Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
Kravitz
600.00 you could have saved Kravitz, think about it ?  That 600.00 could have bought you a little amp, or at least paid for a lot of Bagels

Oh yes, I got your message loud and clear. Thanks for the enlightenment.

K2MK
Mike, it says you have only been a Ham since 2006 ?
 If that's the case, you sure have an eye for good stuff!

Your station consists of:

Elecraft, K3 transceiver & P3 panadapter
Command Technologies, HF-2500 amplifier
SteppIR, BigIR vertical (80-6 meters) ground mounted
Traffie, Hex Beam (20-10 meters) at 29 ft (8.8 meters)
M2, 6M3, 3 element Yagi (6 meters) at 22 ft (6.7 meters)
Dipole (160 meters) at 10 ft - 15 ft above ground (3 - 4.6 meters)
Receive only antenna, Pixel Technologies RF PRO-1B Magnetic Loop at 22 ft (6.7 meters)

All excellent choices in equipment! The K3 and the Command HF 2500 Amp are serious pieces of equipment, and IMHO, worth the extra money! Same with the SteppIR Vertical.
I also see you did not upgrade your Hex Beam to 6 Meters, and instead wisely went to the excellent M2 6 Meter monobander.
You have done very well for yourself, in equipment choices, especially for such a New Ham.

G3TXQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »

This is not a debate I particularly want to get involved in, but I need to correct one error! Despite its introductory "blurb", yahoo.com/group/hex-beam/ is not exclusively a Traffie Hexbeam forum. It may have started that way, but it quickly evolved into a forum for self-builders and experimenters, as well as commercial Hexbeam owners.

I joined the group about 5 years ago and found other members - particularly Leo K4KIO - very supportive when I began developing my wider-band version; their support was a real encouragement to me. All of my experimental work was shared with the group, and several members built early versions to prove the concept. At one stage there was some debate about whether my wider-band version was "really a hexbeam" and whether that group was an appropriate forum for it to be discussed, but the moderator and other members were very keen that the work should not be moved to another forum.

Any notion that the group is solely related to Traffie hexbeams is misplaced; a quick look at postings over the past few years will show that the wideband version is much more likely to be the topic of discussion.

Steve G3TXQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: