Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ160 CW  (Read 2614 times)
K2CUB

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »

Usually leave contesting QRP to state QSO parties and FD. Gave it a spin and had a great time from my MI QTH. 8.5 hours, 263 Q's 45 states and 7 DXCC.  Had a great time.  K2 is a fun rig.  Inverted L and various RX antennas.  It holds up well under contest conditions on a tough band.
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »

to WB2REI....... now that was something to be proud of....160 is a fickle band for us Qrper's...I look at 160 and 6 meters being a extreme challenge to operate on at 5 watts or less.
Congrads on your 160 meter contest efforts. IMPRESSIVE! I tip my hat to you....Thanks for sharing your 160 meter exploits to all of us here.
Best regards and many 72/73.
Don sr. --WA2TPU -- A TRUE 5 WATT QRP GREEN STATION
K9TY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:20 AM »

Congrats on the 160 qrp effort! I have had a lot of fun with that too. After working for years to complete 160 WAS on fone (800,000 mW PEP), then doing it on CW (qro as well), I did the ARRL and CQ CW contests with a stock FT-817 and my inverted L. I even used a wee MorseX Christmas key and a battery to power the 817.  In the end I only need 1 sked with Alaska to complete the 160 qrp WAS!  It was a hoot and not as bad as I had imagined it. Now 160 SSB qrp might be another animal altogether! I now need to add what you mentioned -- various RX antennas!  The Inv-L gets out fine but she don't hear so well!

Good job again, Don, and hope to hear on the bands!

Dave - K9TY
K2CUB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

Regarding RX antennas.  OK, I confess I also chase QRO DX on 160 too.  Although I am going to try DXCC QRP ont Top Band.  Best bang for the buck RX is a Pennant.  I also have many long Beverages, but the Pennant under normal conditions approaches a 400 foot Beverage and at Sunrise and Sunset when you get high angle signals it often wins out over long beverages.  Requires very little space and only 2 supports.  I use KD9SV transformers/resister kits.  They are available at Radio Ware.  I am not connected but a good friend with Gary, KD9SV.  He also makes front end savers and preamps.  You will need about 20 or so DB with a pennant.  I may put up a crude picture of how I build mine....easy and keeps the shape well.  They are so good that i have them backing up the Bevs for those special times when they work great.  Hearing is a big part of operating on 160.  I almost never use my L for RX.  Also, a low dipole and often be a good RX antenna as well.  Thanks for the comments.  See you on the bands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: